Looking at HDTV with no audio out / Any way to get audio from HD antenna ahead of TV? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > A/V Control & Automation > Home A/V Distribution > Looking at HDTV with no audio out / Any way to get audio from HD antenna ahead of TV?

Home A/V Distribution

herkulese's Avatar herkulese
08:22 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 7
01-07-2013 | Posts: 47
Hi all, I am new here and found this forum buy searching for answers to various questions:

I was all set to buy an LG 32LS3450 HDTV because it is a good brand, with good customer reviews, and because it measures just 29" wide, and will fit im my 29-1/8" cabinet.

The only issue that came up is that it has no audio out, but the only time that would be an issue is if I purchased an HD antenna to watch broadcasts in true HD. Are there any HD antennas, or breakout boxes that could pull the audio signal out to send to my receiver, ahead of the input to the TV?

BTW - There are other alternative TV's:

VISIO - A320-A0 /32" / 2 HDMI IN / SPDIF & Analog Audio Out / 28.75" Wide
VISIO - E291-A1 / 29" / 2 HDMI IN / SPDIF & Analog Audio Out / 26.50" Wide

However, from all that I read, the LG handles fast mosion much better than the VISIO models, and I watch a lot of football and basketball games in my TV.

Any and all comments will be much appreciated.
jautor's Avatar jautor
11:06 AM Liked: 373
post #2 of 7
01-07-2013 | Posts: 8,220
Unless the TV supports HDMI ARC (audio return channel), you'll be out of luck on that. Don't see any mention of ARC support, so unless you find a source that can confirm it for sure, don't assume it will.

This seems to be a trend on the smaller-sized displays - the assumption that they're being used as secondary or standalone sets and not as part of a "real" A/V setup. I'd suggest looking at other brands / models.

You could buy an outboard ATSC tuner, but those are uncommon now, and would raise your costs and complexity...

Are you just trying to avoid replacing an old cabinet? You might be better off starting from scratch there if possible.
01:22 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 7
"Unless the TV supports HDMI ARC (audio return channel), you'll be out of luck on that."

I am not familiar with HDMI ARC. Is this an HDMI output on the TV that would go back to one of the HDMI inputs on the receiver?

You may not have noticed but the two VISIO models that I noted do have SPDIF and ANOLOG Outputs.

Regarding the cabinet, my wife is very partial to this one, and the room is not large enough to warent a larger one, or a larger than 32" TV.
The VISIO 29" might actually be large enough. I am just waiting for my local store to put one back up in the display for comparison with the 32" version.

I would just rather have the LG, for its better handling of fast motion, and if I am not mistaken, the lack of audio out would onlhy be an issue when using an HDMI antenna, correct? Not that this is a small issue, but I am just looking for verification.

Thanks agan
jautor's Avatar jautor
02:01 PM Liked: 373
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkulese View Post

I am not familiar with HDMI ARC. Is this an HDMI output on the TV that would go back to one of the HDMI inputs on the receiver?

Yes, if supported, it feeds the audio from internal antenna source(s) back to the receiver ("returns") over the same HDMI input cable.
Quote:
You may not have noticed but the two VISIO models that I noted do have SPDIF and ANOLOG Outputs.

I didn't look, but if it's got those outputs, that will by far the better answer for OTA viewing if that's going to be part of your viewing (to any degree!).
Quote:
and the room is not large enough to warent a larger one, or a larger than 32" TV.

Infidel! Non-believer!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Quote:
I would just rather have the LG, for its better handling of fast motion, and if I am not mistaken, the lack of audio out would onlhy be an issue when using an HDMI antenna, correct? Not that this is a small issue, but I am just looking for verification

I think the difference between the two sets in this regard is probably overblown (an educated guess knowing the two brands in question). You may never notice any difference, especially if you're not doing a side-by-side comparison. And yes, the audio issue is only for the built-in OTA tuners.

Jeff
02:54 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 7
Thanks for all the info Jeff,

So HDMI ARC on the TV is very much analagus to an HdMI audio pass thru, just like the HDMI video pass thru on the receiver, but bringing the audio back from the TV to the receiver, rather than bringing the video from the receiver to the TV.
Very Cool........

Regarding the room size, some would truely argue whether it is big enough for a 41" or larger screen, but I watched the Seattle / Wasington game yesterday at a friends house, on a 47" LG, and his soffa is closer to his TV than mine is to my TV. I actually felt like I was in the front row at a movie theater and I didn't like it. I almost had to turn my head from side to side to look from on edge of the screen to the other. Just my opinion, but for me it was simply too big.

Thanks for the info in brand comparison. I am almost ready to pull the triggar on one of the VISIO tv's as they have the size and fratures that I want, have good ratings where ever I look, and are priced approx. $100 less than the LG.

Thanks again Jeff,
Roger
jautor's Avatar jautor
04:20 PM Liked: 373
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkulese View Post

Regarding the room size, some would truely argue whether it is big enough for a 41" or larger screen, but I watched the Seattle / Wasington game yesterday at a friends house, on a 47" LG, and his soffa is closer to his TV than mine is to my TV. I actually felt like I was in the front row at a movie theater and I didn't like it. I almost had to turn my head from side to side to look from on edge of the screen to the other. Just my opinion, but for me it was simply too big.

Unless you're sitting like 4' away from the screen, even a 46" won't be too big. Yes, you can get too big a screen, but even only a few feet away you wouldn't have to turn your head on a 40 or 46" display... If you're used to and have only had the smaller displays, a "big screen" will take a bit to get used to, but once you do, you'll never go back. It won't be like sitting in the front row of the theater after a day or two. The 40" displays are very popular, and you'll see a lot more models available with better features and price-per-inch (so to speak).

Now, back in the day, when I moved from a 27" TV to the 50" BIG SCREEN, now that was a change!!! Of course, that thing was huge, now it would hang on the wall and no one would even think twice about it...

That said, 32" isn't a tiny display - if that what fits your needs, nothing wrong with it.

Jeff
10:18 AM Liked: 10
post #7 of 7
01-08-2013 | Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Unless you're sitting like 4' away from the screen, even a 46" won't be too big. Yes, you can get too big a screen, but even only a few feet away you wouldn't have to turn your head on a 40 or 46" display... If you're used to and have only had the smaller displays, a "big screen" will take a bit to get used to, but once you do, you'll never go back. It won't be like sitting in the front row of the theater after a day or two. The 40" displays are very popular, and you'll see a lot more models available with better features and price-per-inch (so to speak).
Now, back in the day, when I moved from a 27" TV to the 50" BIG SCREEN, now that was a change!!! Of course, that thing was huge, now it would hang on the wall and no one would even think twice about it...
That said, 32" isn't a tiny display - if that what fits your needs, nothing wrong with it.
Jeff

I had a 41" screen in my previous home, in a room about the same size and shape as the current room, but we sat accross the room from it in the long direction, and it was back against the wall on an open stand.
I really did like it, and if it was out in the open, and back against the wall, like at it was there, I would probably do not be questioning it and be going with a 40 or 41, especially given the pricing these days.

As it is, my new wife (of 2 years, whome I love very much, and who takes very good care of me) likes to have all the av equipment in a cabinet that we can close up when not in use, and since the cabinet has to be at an angle to be seen in the whole room, the TV ends up several feet further out from the wall, and closer to the viewers, such that a 32" will be large enough. As it is we are doing nicely with a VISIO Rasor 26", but it is time to go bigger.

Again, I thank you for all the clarity that you have brought to this question for me.
Roger
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Subscribe to this Thread