New Set up of 3D 1080p TV and receiver with ARC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I just got a new 3D 1080p Panasonic Plasma TV and a new Denon receiver. Both have ARC funtionality.

Initially, my plan was to wire all of the components(HD cable box, blu ray, gaming, etc.) to the receiver and then wire a single HDMI cable out to the TV. However, this ARC feature is confusing me some.

If any experts here can help me out with some advice that would be greatly appreciated. Some specific questions I have are:
  • HDMI 1 on my TV does not have ARC, but HDMI 2 does. Should I definitely be hooking up my receiver to HDMI 2 since both the TV and receiver has ARC? I will be using cable for all the TV content and will not be using any open air HD content via an antenna.
  • Does this ARC feature allow me to connect the HD cable box directly to the TV instead of the Receiver? Is there any downside to doing that. The benefit I could see is that I could operate the TV via internal speakers without turning on the receiver if I wanted to. Or I could even watch TV on mute and listen to another audio source through the receiver.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if I posted this in the right forum or not, but can someone point me in the right direction?
post #3 of 3 Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Probably not the right section. But to answer your questions - the only use of ARC is to get audio that originates at the TV (not the AVR) back to the AVR. Some implementations (I say some because I don't believe this function is guaranteed to be there) would also route audio received from HDMI sources down the ARC cable.

If you want to use the TV speakers some of the time, the path you suggest would be worth a try. The issues could be 1) the TV may not route audio from HDMI inputs back out the ARC output and 2) the audio received by the TV may not be the best quality possible - if the TV doesn't support DD5.1 decoding, you'd only get 2-channel PCM sent from the set-top box, whereas if it was connected to the AVR you would.

The solution to either of those while allowing the use of the TV speakers is to run a digital audio cable from the set-top to the AVR separately and use that path. There's no downside as your set-top isn't (currently) sending any audio "more advanced" than DD5.1, so the digital audio path will contain the best audio available. That would not be true of BD players, for example.

But try the ARC setup and see what you get. Use the digital audio cable as your backup plan.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page