post #31 of 45 Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by furley11 View Post

-I am running double Cat6 and double RG6 to each tv location. I will use HDMI over Cat6 () to push HD to the TV's from the networking closet, and of course have the RG6 there just in case.

I would recommend using a better HDMI extender - those wall plate, "unpowered" models have not been exactly bullet-proof.

In addition, if you're expecting to use any of the less-expensive HDMI extenders that consume 2 category cables, you should run a third category cable to each TV location - so that you have Ethernet capability (or something else) in addition to the HDMI-over-category path.
Quote:
-I am running a Cat6 drop to every room in addition to what is already there for keypads and tv's. I will likely locate these in areas that are likely to be covered by furniture like nightstands and desks. This will also be my fall back for telephone jacks if I ever decide to put them in. For now, I have no desire to put a bunch of additional jacks for telephones when I haven't had a traditional landline in years.

My rule of thumb for bedrooms is to have access to a cat6 jack from any usable wall space in the room without crossing a door frame. Which for most bedrooms means two locations per room.
Quote:
-I will use iRule to control everything via ios devices in addition to the keypads. I am not sure if I will need the HTD ios setup or not.

If you're going down the iRule path you'll really want the HTDnet adapter, even if you don't use their app...
Quote:
I will have them plywood the walls and run two dedicated circuits for power to it. I will run a low voltage fan up out of the top of the closet and the doors will be louvered.

Where are you exhausting the air to from the closet - you don't want to dump that into the attic or outside. The HVAC return is a good choice.
Quote:
-I have two colors of Cat6 to help with distinguishing them, especially where they are run together. Any wire labeling systems or devices work really well?

Rhino label maker.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 06-22-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Quote:
I would recommend using a better HDMI extender - those wall plate, "unpowered" models have not been exactly bullet-proof.

In addition, if you're expecting to use any of the less-expensive HDMI extenders that consume 2 category cables, you should run a third category cable to each TV location - so that you have Ethernet capability (or something else) in addition to the HDMI-over-category path.

Good to know. I didn't see many negative reviews. I like the ir return on the model that i linked. And, the price is really good if the functionality is there. I will reconsider, and if I stick with the double cable need for video, I will run another. I didn't think of that.

Quote:
Where are you exhausting the air to from the closet - you don't want to dump that into the attic or outside. The HVAC return is a good choice.
Rhino label maker.

It is going into the attic, but the attic will (supposedly) only be less than 10 degrees warmer since it the roof is foam insulated and "enveloped" as they say. Is this still a concern?
post #33 of 45 Old 06-22-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Is the dual RG6 to each TV overkill? I could replace one with Cat6 to solve the internet at TV problem.
post #34 of 45 Old 06-22-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

Is the dual RG6 to each TV overkill? I could replace one with Cat6 to solve the internet at TV problem.
IMO, yes. There is no need to run more than one coax to any TV location anymore due to solutions from DirecTV/Dish which allow a single coax line to do everything needed.

It is far better to have cat-6 or multiple cat-6 at any and all locations.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #35 of 45 Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

IMO, yes. There is no need to run more than one coax to any TV location anymore due to solutions from DirecTV/Dish which allow a single coax line to do everything needed.

It is far better to have cat-6 or multiple cat-6 at any and all locations.

What about for OTA HD?
post #36 of 45 Old 06-22-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is going into the attic, but the attic will (supposedly) only be less than 10 degrees warmer since it the roof is foam insulated and "enveloped" as they say. Is this still a concern?

Yes. That's still unconditioned space - the air you're removing 24/7 has to be replaced somewhere. Which means it's coming through doors/windows from the outside... Air in = air out.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #37 of 45 Old 06-22-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

IMO, yes. There is no need to run more than one coax to any TV location anymore due to solutions from DirecTV/Dish which allow a single coax line to do everything needed. It is far better to have cat-6 or multiple cat-6 at any and all locations.

As a trade-off, yes, I'd rather have another cat6 vs. another coax if that's the only choice... The dual-feed requirements of the satellite provides was certainly the reason this was done in the past...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slorente View Post

What about for OTA HD?

Yep, the possibility of multiple providers is the reason to keep running dual RG6.

I would suggest running dual RG6 to at least the primary AV location(s), such as the family room and any theater-type space, as a minimum. After that, if you've run at least one RG6 to every possible display location, add a second run to locations in some priority order until you use up the spool! biggrin.gif

Jeff

post #38 of 45 Old 06-22-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes. That's still unconditioned space - the air you're removing 24/7 has to be replaced somewhere. Which means it's coming through doors/windows from the outside... Air in = air out.

The HVAC guys are still in there, so i am just going to have them put a real deal vent in there and properly tie it to a return.
post #39 of 45 Old 06-28-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Update: day one went well. It is Africa hot here in Austin, so that took a little out of us, but we made good progress. I made a run to one of the bedroom speaker locations and forgot to loop it at the keypad. Question, could I loop a separate wire and leave it free in the attic in case i need to loop it later? I definitely dont need the loop now. I can still loop the other speaker.

Glad I:
1) got a label maker. That is a big help when you are running so much wire.
2) got multiple boxes of wire. Especially for the many long runs i have, this is much better than doing them one-by-one.
3) had a plan and read so many posts here.

Wish I:
1) had a stouter drill. My 3/8" doesnt tear through plates and studs like the electricians' tools do.
2) knew for sure wear the homerun needs to go.
3) could have waited for the electricians to finish. I had to adjust my plan a bit to let them run romex in places before i could get in there, but it wasnt too bad. It was funny when they first thought i was just the AV contractor and seemed put out that i was working at the same time as them. When they realized i was the homeowner, they warmed up quickly. smile.gif
post #40 of 45 Old 06-30-2013, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You're going to find that the trades don't like working on top of one another, as it slows them down at times. A good contractor will allow enough time for each trade to do what they need before the next trade comes in but they will overlap a lot, unfortunately, they sometimes forget about the LV guy and short change us.

For instance, I am the LV guy for some homes and we had the sprinkler guys, electricians, framers, stucco and HVAC guys all going at the same time!!! The electricians and myself liked working alongside one another as we were using each others ladders throughout the house instead of carrying them around all over the place. I could also ask them for outlets where I needed them and they did so with no problems at all. Great guys to work with.

It was pretty funny at times with 4 trades on top of each other trying to finish before moving on to the next home in line.
post #41 of 45 Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

My builder has been good about keeping them separate. I suppose there is a bit more leeway in a full custom build versus a spec build.

We wrapped up today by organizing all the cables and making sure there were no romex crossings. I had a few hiccups in the end:

1) I skipped a data drop and didn't realize it until I was out of cable. I would have been better off with a checklist I could follow to make sure as the heat and dehydration get the best of my mental state.

2) I grossly underestimated my cable needs, which cost me more money for the additional, lesser quality cable because I had to go to a big box to get it. Part of the problem was due to some last minute additions, but I still didn't estimate well enough. I was probably over doing the cable enough that a slightly lesser cable quality shouldn't affect me.

3) I should have preprinted labels. First, it would have alerted me to my need for more label tape, and it would have sped things up. I should have printed multiple labels for each of the rooms and then multiple "type" labels. It would mean putting two labels on, but it would have been worth it.

Question: in areas where crossing romex is inevitable, is there a way to separate the cables with anything (other than the obvious space) to ensure there wont be interference? I made sure to make the crossings as close to 90 degrees as possible, and I created space as much as possible. Would something as simple as wrapping the cable in aluminum foil help? Forgive my ignorance.
post #42 of 45 Old 06-30-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) I skipped a data drop and didn't realize it until I was out of cable. I would have been better off with a checklist I could follow to make sure as the heat and dehydration get the best of my mental state.

Plan the dive. Dive the plan... biggrin.gif
Quote:
2) I grossly underestimated my cable needs, which cost me more money for the additional, lesser quality cable because I had to go to a big box to get it. Part of the problem was due to some last minute additions, but I still didn't estimate well enough. I was probably over doing the cable enough that a slightly lesser cable quality shouldn't affect me.

It won't be a problem. But yes, especially for us DIY types buying our own materials - much better to have a lot left over. The last step of any big DIY project should be the "returns" trip back to Home Depot (keep those receipts!), or for mail order Monoprice stuff - a Cragislist ad...
Quote:
3) I should have preprinted labels. First, it would have alerted me to my need for more label tape, and it would have sped things up. I should have printed multiple labels for each of the rooms and then multiple "type" labels. It would mean putting two labels on, but it would have been worth it.

Sheets of preprinted cable lables, even the simple numbers, can work as a first pass to speed things up.
Quote:
Question: in areas where crossing romex is inevitable, is there a way to separate the cables with anything (other than the obvious space) to ensure there wont be interference? I made sure to make the crossings as close to 90 degrees as possible, and I created space as much as possible. Would something as simple as wrapping the cable in aluminum foil help? Forgive my ignorance.

You'll be fine. The 90 degree crossing thing is just trying to show how to minimize the distance over which the cables are near each other. But the 60Hz interference we're "concerned" about is not so much a concern anymore. Digital signals won't care at all...

Jeff

post #43 of 45 Old 06-30-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

"Plan the dive. Dive the plan... "

To be fair, the electrician was working the area when that data drop was next in the "plan", so we skipped it. The checklist would have helped in diverting from the plan. wink.gif

Since I have your attention, Jeff, is it at all necessary to have two Cat6 cables going to the homerun? I ran 2, but could use one elsewhere (maybe even that drop I missed :-D )
post #44 of 45 Old 06-30-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since I have your attention, Jeff, is it at all necessary to have two Cat6 cables going to the homerun? I ran 2, but could use one elsewhere (maybe even that drop I missed :-D )

From where? The demarc location? I'd keep two there, if anything, as a backup wire. Rest of the wiring in the house isn't much good if there's no connectivity to the outside world...

And if you need some more wire in a hurry, check Craigslist for someone who's just finished theirs... biggrin.gif

post #45 of 45 Old 01-11-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, build-out is about complete. I ended up installing over a mile of cable counting Cat6, coax and speaker. I am not counting the LV that the security guy ran. To be fair, I was a bit overzealous at the drop locations and ended up with way too much cable.

I went with the Lync12 from HTD and did monoprice speakers. Two zones will have surround sound in wall (5.1 in one and 7.2 in the game room) and the rest are in ceiling with 6" pairs for the low ceiling smaller rooms, and 8" for the higher ceiling, bigger rooms.

I did data drops in most places with exception of bathrooms, laundry, and kitchen. Each TV location got a coax and 3 Cat6.

I decided against cameras. My wife felt it was creepy, and the system I installed in my in-laws never gets reviewed. If I find a reason to install one, I am sure a wireless one will work.

I can't wait to get everything up and running. If the builder will finish the damn retaining wall, I can move in and play with my new toys! It should be in the next two weeks. I am also still waiting to see which of (or if) TWC or AT&T is going to be able to get me some good flow of MBPS.

Thanks to all that helped me along the way, even if it wasn't direct replies. This was a great learning experience. I can't wait to tackle the theater/game room buildout in the basement next!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page