New Build Schematic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 01-08-2013, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am very open to critiques about this plan. I am also curious if anyone has had experience with the Sony Control4 receivers (2800 or 5800), especially regarding the dual output zones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM

Liked: 13
I can't read most of your diagram. Can you attach bigger file? Or just write it out?

And why the Control4 AVR? Are you planning on using a Control4 system?

Edit:

I zoomed in and could get a little more info... noticed that you're going with the Control4 amp. You do know that Control4 is dealer installed only, correct? I'm assuming you're not that familiar with Control4 as you're also including two Sonos Connect units as inputs to the Control4 amp, which wouldn't actually need those inputs. The Control4 amp can access streaming services on its own.

Why don't you tell us what you want to accomplish and we can work with your current design and revise it a bit...
post #3 of 45 Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 PM

Using my best guess based upon your drawing, here's what you want and my thoughts on how to accomplish

Whole home ethernet

Switch with lines running to all the rooms; looks good (assuming your router is in there, too).

Whole home audio

Control4 is dealer installed only and you're costs are going to be substantially higher than just the cost of the equipment. Each time you want to change something, the dealer has to do it for you. You should look into HTD, Russound, NuVo and Sonos. All offer systems that can accomplish WHA. The easiest to install is Sonos. For each extra zone, it will cost you $500 (the purchase of one Sonos Amp). Each Sonos amp can control two sets of speakers. HTD offers a 6 source, 12 ch amplifier starting at $1000. Lots of people around here love it. What are you looking for in terms of WHA? How many zones, rooms, sources? Control via iDevice or in-wall controls?

Whole home video

It looks like you might want some distributed video as you're sending three cable boxes to the amp??? Do you want distributed video (e.g. a matrix) in your home? Or will each room have its own blu-ray player and cable box?
post #4 of 45 Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

The graphic comes up legible for me on the pc, but you cannot zoom on an ipad, so I guess it just depends on how you are viewing it. Nevertheless, I think you get the idea.

WHA
I have 9 zones to which I want to push audio. My plan is to have 6 audio sources (to start) including two-Sonos units, an AppleTV, and 3 cable boxes. The idea is that with Sonos, I can have 2 different Pandora stations going in a combination of different rooms, but it sounds like maybe the C4 can do that in lieu of the Sonos devices? The AppleTV will give me additional options for music, but also be able to accomodate audio of movies I stream from video (more on that later). The cable boxes will give me similar capabilities such that I can have a ball game on TV in the Great Room, but also send the audio to my study and/or kitchen even though the video is not playing in those rooms. With the C4 distributor, I would still have room for two other sources for when the next snazzy device comes along.

Video
I am not sure I necessarily need to go with a matrix for video distribution, but please advise. Currently, I believe I can handle two of the video zones (Great Room and Patio) with the Sony 2800, which is already C4 equipped. I am not exactly sure of all of its capabilities, hence my question in my original post. From what I gather, I can feed two separate audio/video zones, which works out nicely in that it can serve the Great Room and Patio, which also gives me another zone to cover since the C4 only has 8. I will likely use CAT6-STP for the video runs and use a balun to transmit the HD video. So far, it seems that is a very good solution given that my runs should be no more than 150 feet and that gives me flexibility for the next type of hdmi cable that comes out. These runs will be in addition to network drops, and I will likely put them on their own patch panel to connect video.

Network
Yes, the plan is to have a 24-port gigabit switch. There are a few rooms that I will only need a single drop, but I can still run the CAT6 cable and leave it behind the wall for future use. This allows me to handle all 15 rooms on a 24-port switch in combination with a built in switch on the wireless router and on the Sony 2800.

Cams
Not shown on the diagram will be a simple 4-camera dvr surveillance system. It too will go to the media closet and feed into the Sony receiver for access in the Great Room in addition to access via any device on the network. I am not worried about having C4 programmed for these guys, as that can just be handled by the proprietary interface that comes with any of those dvr setups.

HVAC
I will have 3 different HVAC zones that I would like to control remotely. I know there are options out there that don't require C4, but an integrated solution is obviously desired. Something like Nest would give me the option either way.

Lighting
A handful of light switches will be incorporated, but not every single one. Just the main areas that I can control while away or when about to return home in the dark.

Sprinklers
This is a possibility, but not likely to be incorporated right away. I have not been able to see how well this can be incorporated via C4 to know if it is worth paying for (equipment and programming).

Security
I am thinking about having one of the entrances on an automated door lock, in addition to the garage doors, so control over the security panel will be ideal. The idea of having a single button on the iphone to initiate garage door, lighting, security (off) and even Audio/Video is nice if it is just a matter of a macro programmed.

It's all of this that is leading me to C4. IF there is another way to handle what I have here and have flexibility for other additions, PLEASE let me know. I love Sonos, and if they had other equipment that could handle my other "needs", I would buy it in a heartbeat. I am a bit disappointed in the monopoly the dealers have with respect to the programming of C4. If I can teach myself VB code, I am sure I can handle their platform. What I need to understand is exactly how the C4 is controlled centrally. I cannot tell if that is done with the Sony2800, the C4 Amp, or if I have to have a C4 Controller regardless. I am guessing it is the latter.

I have pdf's of plans and this diagram if it helps anyone.
post #5 of 45 Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

"Each Sonos amp can control two sets of speakers"

How is this? I only see two speaker connections.
post #6 of 45 Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by furley11 View Post

"Each Sonos amp can control two sets of speakers"
How is this? I only see two speaker connections.

The Sonos Connect:Amp is 4-ohm capable, so two pairs of 8-ohm speakers can be attached without external impedance matching / speaker selector devices...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 45 Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

But, wouldn't that mean that you would not have independent control of two vs the other two, or two different zones?

Ah, here it is: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269/~/attaching-4-speakers-to-a-single-connect%3Aamp-or-sonos-zoneplayer-100
post #8 of 45 Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But, wouldn't that mean that you would not have independent control of two vs the other two, or two different zones?

I'm not recommending it, but as an inexpensive solution, you would share a Sonos between two zones, but still install individual volume controls in each room. As with any "shared zones", it creates the hassle of having two volume settings (the Sonos itself, and the in-room control). Regardless, get the wiring done right, home-run everything, so that you could start with something like this and add equipment later as you grow the system...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #9 of 45 Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I have 9 zones to which I want to push audio. My plan is to have 6 audio sources (to start) including two-Sonos units, an AppleTV, and 3 cable boxes. The idea is that with Sonos, I can have 2 different Pandora stations going in a combination of different rooms, but it sounds like maybe the C4 can do that in lieu of the Sonos devices?

Yes, the C4 can do that on its own. Note that the most independent zones you can get out of one C4 unit is 8. You'd have to get two C4 amps to have have 9 or more independent stereo zones. Take a look at this: http://www.htd.com/Products/mid-level-whole-house-audio. You could do the MC-66 and throw in another 12 channel amp, thus giving you 24 channels (or 12 stereo zones of independent control). And remember you can only have as many zones as sources. So you'll still need a couple Sonos units, but you'll save money versus going the Control4 route.

Quote:
I am not sure I necessarily need to go with a matrix for video distribution, but please advise. Currently, I believe I can handle two of the video zones (Great Room and Patio) with the Sony 2800, which is already C4 equipped.

Again, stay clear of C4 unless you want the added costs. By avoiding C4 and going the DIY route, I took my $17k C4 quote and got it down to under $5k. Look at the Denon 2113CI or any other good 7.1 AVR. AVRs don't typically handle any sort of video switching. Look for a cheap 4x2 matrix at monoprice. You can route the audio through the AVR and let the matrix handle the video portion.

Quote:
the next type of hdmi cable that comes out

There's won't be a next type if some of the larger tech companies have any say in it. Google HDBaseT. LG, Samsung and others have teamed up to create HDBaseT, which allows HD signals to be sent over a single Cat5e/6 cable, which is more ubiquitous and cheaper than that damn HDMI stuff. Samsung is even putting the HDBaseT tech in some of their TVs so that you can plug the Cat into the back without ever needing a balun.

Quote:
I will have 3 different HVAC zones that I would like to control remotely.

Check out Insteon (http://www.insteon.net/HVAC.html). You can integrate it with iRule (more on this soon).

Quote:
This is a possibility, but not likely to be incorporated right away. I have not been able to see how well this can be incorporated via C4 to know if it is worth paying for (equipment and programming).

Insteon and iRule. http://www.insteon.net/sprinklers.html

Quote:
I am thinking about having one of the entrances on an automated door lock, in addition to the garage doors, so control over the security panel will be ideal. The idea of having a single button on the iphone to initiate garage door, lighting, security (off) and even Audio/Video is nice if it is just a matter of a macro programmed.

Insteon and iRule. http://www.insteon.net/security.html

Quote:
It's all of this that is leading me to C4. IF there is another way to handle what I have here and have flexibility for other additions, PLEASE let me know. I love Sonos, and if they had other equipment that could handle my other "needs", I would buy it in a heartbeat. I am a bit disappointed in the monopoly the dealers have with respect to the programming of C4. If I can teach myself VB code, I am sure I can handle their platform. What I need to understand is exactly how the C4 is controlled centrally. I cannot tell if that is done with the Sony2800, the C4 Amp, or if I have to have a C4 Controller regardless. I am guessing it is the latter.

For your setup, you would need a dedicated C4 controller (HC800). Doesn't matter if you can teach yourself how to program it, they won't let you have the software to do the programming.

Look into iRule (iruleathome.com). iRule uses your home network to communicate with your devices. From a user designed interface on your iDevice, you can control your TVs, AVR, blu-ray player, security system, lights and more. The easiest way is via control over IP, a Cat line plugged directly into the device. When that’s not an option, you can use Global Cache devices to convert an IP signal into an IR or Serial signal.

Again, it’s user designed using an online design system. It allows you to design the interface and drag and drop the commands for each button onto your interface. And it’s relatively inexpensive. The license is $50 for 3 control devices or $100 for 5 (device as in iPhone, iPad, Android tablet, etc). The Global Cache units are $100-$150. And one Global Cache unit can control multiple devices. It’s definitely a more economical solution than Control4 and lets you change and expand your system at your whim.
post #10 of 45 Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 AM

Furley, do you mind sharing your budget for this project? If you have a $50k budget, C4 can get this done. But if you're trying to be more modest, say $10k, C4 will be too pricey.
post #11 of 45 Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 AM

Oh... one other thing I just remembered... in your diagram you have some sort of HTIB setup in one of the rooms... the V20 or something. I assume you already have this, right? If not, don't buy HTIBs. You're better off purchasing each piece of equipment separately.
post #12 of 45 Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Gramin, good question on the budget. My wife asked the same thing today when I was dialoging options :-P

I am expecting to get it more towards the $10k mark, as the value in resale cant be much more than that on a custom built home just under $1M. This is really good advice you and the others are giving. The more I read, research, and even talk out loud about this, the more I am leaning away from C4. I had the impression that it was the only way to accomplish what I want, and I have to sacrifice programming control to get it. As you laid out above, I was wrong.

So, as I waffle, I am now liking the HTD solution for WHA, and will probably go for the full 12 zones with the Lync12. I like the intercom function and ability to plug in a device in any zone.

I need to read up on the other "pieces", but I suspect you will have me convinced there too. Overall, I will redraw my network and post for additional critique. As many have indicated, the important part right now is getting the wiring right. We are laying out the foundation tomorrow and breaking ground on Wednesday, so I have time.

Oh, and, yeah, I have had the Bose V20 for 4.5 years now. It works well, and has been great. I wouldn't buy it again, but no real regrets. The key is for me to wire it such that I can replace it down the road.
post #13 of 45 Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 AM

With a 10k budget, you should also look at Russound and NuVo. HTD is a great solution, but NuVo is sort of the de facto #1 system in WHA. I don't have much experience with it, but Jeff can chime in and give you a better idea of its capabilities and how much it would cost to implement a 6 source, 9 zone audio system with NuVo. NuVo also has a media server that can stream Pandora et al so you wouldn't need the Sonos units.

Definitely spend a good time looking at Insteon. They have nearly everything you could possibly want for home automation. This device (http://www.insteon.net/12233DB-ISY-99i-PRO.html) allows your iRule devices to communicate with your Insteon equipment, if you decide to go that route.

And yes, wiring is critical. When in doubt, throw in more cables. You can never have too much Cat or speaker cable running around. And don't forget to take pictures / video of where the wires are so you can easily find them once the dry wall is in.
post #14 of 45 Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am expecting to get it more towards the $10k mark, as the value in resale cant be much more than that on a custom built home just under $1M.

Not to sound snooty, but a $1M home in Texas will deserve a higher-end system than the basic HTD... Your $10k budget is only 1% of the build. Not saying you should spend more than that up front, but in terms of resale, while it may not add to the value - these functions may simply be EXPECTED in a house of that price range. (note to others - $1M is a quite a high-end home for Texas. Silicon Valley that might only get your a used cardboard shack, but not here... biggrin.gif ) I'll bet if you look around the other custom homes nearby, you'll see a number of them with more elaborate systems. And for comparison, bet you a dollar you'll spend more than that budget on window treatments! eek.gif And those add "zero resale value" as far as the appraisal is concerned... (which isn't true, but that's how they count them. Zero.)

Jeff

post #15 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Very good points, Jeff. I especially like how you point out just how good we have it in Texas :-D

I would contend, however, that WHA in a house of relatively higher value is mostly boolean. If it exists and functions, brand and, to a reasonable extent, quality do not factor as far as the majority of home buyers are concerned.

That debate aside, I do not have a hard budget number set. I have a very reasonable wife that doesn't mind me spending a decent amount of money if the functional value is there, but spreading it out across multiple purchases helps perception ;-)

The NuVo looks like its good stuff, but they seem to force you to use a dealer like C4. Is it as restrictive as C4, or can you still DIY? Unless there is a drop in quality that I am not realizing, the HTD upper level system seems like good bang for buck for WHA. For everything else, Insteon does seem to be a good way to go, especially if I do it over a series of phases.

Also, there are a few more zones I should incorporate the more I think about it, so a12 zone capability is probably the way I need to go.
post #16 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would contend, however, that WHA in a house of relatively higher value is mostly boolean. If it exists and functions, brand and, to a reasonable extent, quality do not factor as far as the majority of home buyers are concerned.

I should have qualified my statement a bit more. I'm not talking about audio quality, or even "features", but rather the aesthetics and curb appeal of the keypads. I get a lot of comments about my system - and folks love the metadata display...
Quote:
The NuVo looks like its good stuff, but they seem to force you to use a dealer like C4. Is it as restrictive as C4, or can you still DIY? Unless there is a drop in quality that I am not realizing, the HTD upper level system seems like good bang for buck for WHA. For everything else, Insteon does seem to be a good way to go, especially if I do it over a series of phases.

Yes, it can be DIY'ed, but the gear should be acquired from an authorized dealer - who may or may not give you a break on pricing. Mine did, and I was 100% DIY. The keypad and speaker installation are the time-consuming part. No easier or harder than any other system. There is no real "programming", just some quick configuration that's not even vital to get up and running.

Don't get me wrong, HTD makes good stuff and it is absolutely a great value. But the next step up to get a metadata display and a more stylish/modern keypad design would be "house appropriate" biggrin.gif.
Quote:
Also, there are a few more zones I should incorporate the more I think about it, so a12 zone capability is probably the way I need to go.

Wire for any room that could possibly use it. I wired 9 rooms, and I've since retro-fitted two more - two upstairs bedrooms that I knew I could get to later - in hindsight I wish I had pre-wired those for the little bit of up-front money. I was able to do it, but it took a lot longer than I expected, even with the good access I had.

My other mistake was NOT pre-wiring the kitchen. It's open to the family room so I didn't think I'd use it. I wish I had speakers in there as well, now - they would be tied to the same zone as the family room, but it would have been better to have speakers in the room...

Jeff

post #17 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have you used Sonos yet?

When you describe Sonos as a source, you may misunderstand how it works.

I have Sonos. I wired all speakers to my wiring closet with no speaker controls or wall panels. Each room has its own Sonos controller in the basement and it is all controlled through iPads/iPhones/computers. It works flawlessly and accesses my iTunes for a library (tho I always use Pandora!)

Sonos is primarily distribution and synchronization.

Given the trends in tech, I think putting in a keypad system is insanity. The screens and software for iOS and android are advancing at a phenomenal rate an your keypads will be dinosaurs in a few years.
post #18 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Sonos unit (play 5) now and love it. I, too, never play my 50 GB library of music because of Pandora. The problem with going all Sonos is that I can't really incorporate other sources.

As for the keypads, many here will tell you that having a keypad to quickly mute a room is well worth the minor cost. Imagine a call comes in on your iPhone which is also your controller.
post #19 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a Sonos unit (play 5) now and love it. I, too, never play my 50 GB library of music because of Pandora. The problem with going all Sonos is that I can't really incorporate other sources.

As for the keypads, many here will tell you that having a keypad to quickly mute a room is well worth the minor cost. Imagine a call comes in on your iPhone which is also your controller.

Exactly. It isn't an either or - the future is very likely "both". As both have their strengths and weaknesses, and they complement each other quite well.

I use my keypads every morning in the bathroom zone, I don't carry my phone in there... biggrin.gif But when I'm dealing at my poker tourney, you bet I use an iPod to adjust volume, since I can't get to the keypad... But if someone wants to know what the name of the song is, they look over there at it...

post #20 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Interesting. Furley11, What other sources do you contemplate incorporating?
post #21 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

The important additional source that Sonos cannot handle is the audio from cable boxes. We like our football here in Texas, so I want to be able to push the audio of a game we are watching to other zones instead of having to crank it up loud in the viewing room. After that, I want to have flexibility to add whatever I choose. Maybe I get a record player and some vinyl I want to push to some zones. Or, maybe Pandora goes out of business and something else comes along that requires other sources.
post #22 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

For the control pads, is there any advantage/disadvantage to running CAT5e to them while everything else is getting CAT6? I am not worried about saving fifty cents, but from an organizational perspective, I thought maybe this would be a good idea.
post #23 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
The important additional source that Sonos cannot handle is the audio from cable boxes. We like our football here in Texas, so I want to be able to push the audio of a game we are watching to other zones instead of having to crank it up loud in the viewing room. After that, I want to have flexibility to add whatever I choose. Maybe I get a record player and some vinyl I want to push to some zones. Or, maybe Pandora goes out of business and something else comes along that requires other sources.

Actually, you can if the sources are co-located with any of the Sonos units. Sonos has an analog line-in jack to feed a source in, which can then be streamed to any of the Sonos players on the network. Now, controlling that source - exercise left to the reader!

Jeff

post #24 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the control pads, is there any advantage/disadvantage to running CAT5e to them while everything else is getting CAT6? I am not worried about saving fifty cents, but from an organizational perspective, I thought maybe this would be a good idea.

There's no requirement to use cat6, but it won't hurt. Certainly, if you have cat6 around, use it - don't buy a separate spool just for those runs. Although in either case, it can be better to use color-coded cables (different spools) for these runs so that you can easily inspect during construction that everything is correct. And it can be a big help in find them later when you're searching through the vine that comes into the rack! biggrin.gif

Jeff

post #25 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I have been thinking I would have the video Cat6 a different color than the network drops and then another color for the keypads. This consideration is what brought. Me to thinking about using cat5e for the keypads since it will be limited compared to the rest.

A different topic altogether, has anyone had experienced with sealed attics and trying to accomplish all this? The critical points would be the speaker cutouts and port into the network closet. I read in another thread how you can double the wall thickness and only insulate half. I might have room for that, but what about all those speaker cutouts?
post #26 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A different topic altogether, has anyone had experienced with sealed attics and trying to accomplish all this? The critical points would be the speaker cutouts and port into the network closet. I read in another thread how you can double the wall thickness and only insulate half. I might have room for that, but what about all those speaker cutouts?

If you mean sealed as in "filled with spray foam insulation", you should talk to the contractor. They will have preferred methods for leaving space for speakers, either a plastic backer or building spaces for them. Much more of an issue if you're not going to install the speakers immediately (I assume you'd do that before the insulation gets sprayed in, and just protect the speakers).

post #27 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

You guys have been great with advice. I am digging in and spec'ing out the whole thing. If I go with the 12 zone system (HTD, Roussand, etc), I am still shy on having ALL zones incorporated as I have 16 I could justify equiping. I am thinking I can make the two upstairs bedrooms and the workshop (oversized single car garage) their own independent zones. That is, I will still run a homerun from the speakers, but I will have a wall plate that can feed them from the room with a receiver, sonos, pc, etc. Regardless, I will mount the speaker mounts and run the cable. Thoughts??

That still leaves me with a lonely zone, which is the deck outside the library. Does it make sense to just piggy back the Library zone, but have a simple volume switch to the speakers to keep it from blaring outside if I am just listening inside? Hopefully the graphic shows up to demonstrate how close they are. Also, the closet here is the network closet. I will be expanding its dimensions a bit.

post #28 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Russound MCA-C5 can do up to 48 zones, and 8 sources.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #29 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

I see that now. Is the Lync capable of expansion, even just once? I really like their keypads for input functionality and intercom, which requires a whole extra setup on Rouss.
post #30 of 45 Old 06-22-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Just in case anyone cares, I will be wiring the house in a week. Here is my plan. I have already placed the order for the wring and accessories from monoprice.com, but I am open to any critiques to where I have arrived in my decisions based on the many posts I have researched here.

-I have twelve zones of sound, with 2 of them having surround sound. 1 will be 7.2, the other will be 5.1. The room with 5.1 just doesn't support a 7.2 setup very well, as I don't want the entire front wall filled with speakers. Besides, I will be building out a full-blown theater in the near future. Each of these zones are getting wired for speakers (14AWG, 2-conductor) accordingly. I will loop the speaker wires in the walls at the keypad location with the exception of the surround sound zones.

-I am running a single Cat6 to each keypad location.

-I am running double Cat6 and double RG6 to each tv location. I will use HDMI over Cat6 () to push HD to the TV's from the networking closet, and of course have the RG6 there just in case.

-I am running a Cat6 drop to every room in addition to what is already there for keypads and tv's. I will likely locate these in areas that are likely to be covered by furniture like nightstands and desks. This will also be my fall back for telephone jacks if I ever decide to put them in. For now, I have no desire to put a bunch of additional jacks for telephones when I haven't had a traditional landline in years.

-I am running a homerun double RG6 and double Cat6 from the likely entry point to the networking closet.

-I haven't placed the order, but I am 95% certain I will go with HTD's Lync 12. I like the overall system capability and functionality combined with the price.

-I will use iRule to control everything via ios devices in addition to the keypads. I am not sure if I will need the HTD ios setup or not.

-Networking closet should be sufficient space despite all these wires. I will have them plywood the walls and run two dedicated circuits for power to it. I will run a low voltage fan up out of the top of the closet and the doors will be louvered. I am thinking of running a track shelving system and placing the devices on shelves with their front to the right and back to the left. This should give me better access to front and rear and also be able to mount IR blasters to the wall instead of the doors.

-I have a separate guy running security system wiring, but I am running Cat6 to security camera locations.

-I have two colors of Cat6 to help with distinguishing them, especially where they are run together. Any wire labeling systems or devices work really well?

-I have the wiring wiki's and am following that advice as well, but not typing it all here. Am I missing anything, or anyone have additional tips or gotta have tools that I may not be thinking about?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page