Amp Selection & Speaker Wiring through Volume Control Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone, I'm new to posting in this forum so hopefully this is in the correct spot. I have a couple of questions regarding equipment choice and proper wiring.

1) I am going to be wiring my whole house for central audio (using all in-ceiling speakers). It is a large house, but the rundown will be 2 pairs in the living room, 1 pair in the dining room, 1 pair in the kitchen, 1 pair in the laundry room, 2 pairs in the family room. I also would like the ability to expand up to 2 addition pairs outdoors from my central audio room location. That would be 7 indoor pairs of speakers and up to 2 outdoor pairs (could do just one if easier). All of these pairs will be run through impedence matching rotary volume controls. The question is, do I need to run multiple amps for this setup? If not, how many channels should there be on an amp I purchase?

2) Can I run 2 pairs of speakers (4 speakers total) off of one IM volume control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Take a look at what htd.com has to offer. Your solution might be the mid-range system that they offer for whole home audio. Even their basic system is not that bad. Their explanation will also answer your questions about wiring..
Hope this helps!
post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Run cat5 wiring to the volume control locations to give yourself the ability to use keypad-based systems now or in the future.

Nine potential zones is a lot to be running off a single amp. I mean from a flexibility perspective, not just capacity. As samsway suggests, at a minimum look at the mid-level HTD system. With that many zones (especially with outdoor ones in the mix), you really don't want to have them all trigger on/off with one control. Having audio come on in that many rooms (which you may not want!) when someone wants to use one zone will become a tiresome annoyance...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info guys! That HTD mid-level system seems like it would fit the bill. I had thought about using the Pyle PT8000CH and running 5 zones (4 indoors and with ability to add 1 outdoor in the future) through Monoprice's rotary volume controls to power their in-ceiling speakers. Would that work with the setup I had in mind? I was planning on running 14/2 speaker wire to the volume controls as I haven't read into using Cat5 and got a smoking deal on a spool of CL rated 14/2.
I should note that I am not an audiophile like most folks on here, but still like doing things the right way. Thanks again!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubba View Post

Thank you for the info guys! That HTD mid-level system seems like it would fit the bill. I had thought about using the Pyle PT8000CH and running 5 zones (4 indoors and with ability to add 1 outdoor in the future) through Monoprice's rotary volume controls to power their in-ceiling speakers. Would that work with the setup I had in mind?

The HTD system will be much better, but yes, it would still work, and as long as you wire correctly, you could start here and upgrade later...
Quote:
I was planning on running 14/2 speaker wire to the volume controls as I haven't read into using Cat5 and got a smoking deal on a spool of CL rated 14/2.

You run BOTH (speaker wire and cat5e) to the volume controls - that will allow you to use the HTD or more advanced systems later. Please do that...
Quote:
I should note that I am not an audiophile like most folks on here, but still like doing things the right way. Thanks again!

There's that quote again! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Translation: I don't want to pay a lot for this system...

Do it correctly, and you'll use this setup a lot. Poorly, it will only get used for special occasions. My personal experience.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The HTD system will be much better, but yes, it would still work, and as long as you wire correctly, you could start here and upgrade later...

That makes sense.
Quote:
You run BOTH (speaker wire and cat5e) to the volume controls - that will allow you to use the HTD or more advanced systems later. Please do that...

OK, I will run the Cat5 along with the speaker wire. If I'm going through all of the hassle of snaking the speaker wire it isn't much more effort to run the Cat5.
Quote:
There's that quote again! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Translation: I don't want to pay a lot for this system...
Do it correctly, and you'll use this setup a lot. Poorly, it will only get used for special occasions. My personal experience.
Jeff

You read it correctly. I had planned on using an old Marantz amp that I had picked up years ago, but when I tested it, it had no output to the speakers. The whole-house audio is actually my wife's idea that I told her I would do for her, but I am definitely trying to keep it on a budget. I like the flexibility of upgrading components at a later date though.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page