Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Current Setup:
house was built with one cat 5e and 2 RG6 home runs to each room
all video sources are in the main viewing room (also near a cat 5e drop)
all sources are run through a ChannelPlus SWM-22 modulator, and the output is sent over RG6 back to the wiring closet and then out to the other rooms
there is a separate IR repeater network
all sources and TV's are SD

I am trying to estimate the minimum cost of modernizing. I would like to keep all sources in one room, and just distribute one 1080p "channel" to the other rooms. I also want to reserve the cat5e cable for use by our gigabit Ethernet. I would also like to avoid anything wireless.

Can this be implemented with decent quality for under $1000? (I imagine this budget precludes running new wires).

I think I've included all the necessary info, but if I've missed anything, please ask.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 340
You're not in the worst shape since you have cat5e and RG6.

For that budget, you could do a Monoprice 4x4 HDMI matrix with 4 Monoprice HDBaseT extenders, which have both IR repeating and Ethernet. You'd use your cat5e, but the output side would also provide Ethernet over that single wire.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8123&seq=1&format=2

Monoprice has said they are working on an integrated HDBaseT matrix switch - don't know when we'll see it. That would be the ideal solution (assuming it's good!).

You could upgrade to HD in some rooms and leave your ChannelPlus modulator in place to handle the rest (operate them in parallel).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page