New home prewire - AVS Forum
Home A/V Distribution > New home prewire
Decelerate's Avatar Decelerate 06:12 PM 01-10-2013
I am trying to figure out how to prewire my home while keeping my options open for any control system.

The video distribution seems straightforward. Just 4 cat6 to each tv location.

The audio distribution is confusing me a bit due to the various interfaces for in wall control.
Standard 16/4 to each speaker location is simple enough.
But what do I do for the future keypad/touch screen locations?

I am thinking of doing a cat5e to each future touchscreen location.
I am also planning on putting in cresnet to each future keypad location.

But what cables would I need if I opt to do Rti or Nuvo or any other system for that matter? Some type of power seems reasonable, but I really don't know what else...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I am working with a local integrator, but wanted opinions from the forums.

Also, what would be a reasonable pre wiring budget for a 5k sqft home (10-12 zones audio, 4 video zones)?

jautor's Avatar jautor 06:39 PM 01-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decelerate View Post

I am trying to figure out how to prewire my home while keeping my options open for any control system.

The video distribution seems straightforward. Just 4 cat6 to each tv location.

And at least one, preferably two RG6 runs.
Quote:
The audio distribution is confusing me a bit due to the various interfaces for in wall control.
Standard 16/4 to each speaker location is simple enough.
But what do I do for the future keypad/touch screen locations?

I am thinking of doing a cat5e to each future touchscreen location.
I am also planning on putting in cresnet to each future keypad location.

Cat5e to the keypad location is the standard. Loop the 16/4 through that location as well to keep all the future options open.
Quote:
But what cables would I need if I opt to do Rti or Nuvo or any other system for that matter? Some type of power seems reasonable, but I really don't know what else...

Cat5e. Decent assumption can be made that future controls / keypads / touchscreens will utilize cat5e, and very likely actual Ethernet and PoE.
Quote:
Also, what would be a reasonable pre wiring budget for a 5k sqft home (10-12 zones audio, 4 video zones)?

Will depend a lot on your location, what the builder already includes as their standard wiring, and how the work will be done. In my build for a similar scope, the builder included 32 wire drops (8 locations of 2xRG6+cat5e and 8 more cat5e) and six audio zones by default. I added 60 additional wire drops and 3 audio zones. I provided the extra wire (Monoprice - I probably spent $300) and would do the extra terminations. The subcontractor gave me a price of $700 for just the additional labor, I don't know what he charged the builder for the first 32 runs + audio zones.

Didn't seem like it that day, but after seeing how much work it would have been for me to really do it myself (I'm experienced, so it wasn't a total shock), I got off easy. I've seen pre-wire quotes in the $2000-2500 range when starting from scratch (materials+labor). That doesn't seem out of line at all.

Jeff
Decelerate's Avatar Decelerate 06:59 PM 01-10-2013
Thanks
I was under the impression that basic button keypads from Rti require DC power.
jautor's Avatar jautor 09:39 PM 01-10-2013
Quote:

Thanks
I was under the impression that basic button keypads from Rti require DC power.

They do. And they connect to the control unit using an RJ45-terminated cat5e wire.
Decelerate's Avatar Decelerate 05:24 AM 01-11-2013
So are you saying I can get away with just running one cat5e to power the keypad?
Or do I need some type of power cord.
jautor's Avatar jautor 01:48 PM 01-11-2013
Quote:

So are you saying I can get away with just running one cat5e to power the keypad?
Or do I need some type of power cord.

If you look at the RTI control unit which is what powers / controls the keypad, you'll see they use an RJ45 connector (and therefore cat5e) as the power and signal connection.

So no, no separate power cord, just a cat5e cable.

Jeff
Decelerate's Avatar Decelerate 06:39 PM 01-11-2013
Great that simplifies things a bit. Thanks.
So I think I will be covered for any future keypad or touchscreen by using a cat5e and cresnet.
Neurorad's Avatar Neurorad 09:16 PM 01-11-2013
Run this by the installer, or his designer. Crescat, I think, includes a pair of 18 awg conductors for power.

The Crestron designer should put his eyes on the final plans, before any cables are run, if Crestron is a consideration.
Up
Mobile  Desktop