Communication Station on Hill - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I've wired a whole A/V distribution system into a new "smart" home I building. It has all been wired with CAT6, and Coax among others.

My problem is I'm in a avery rural area (Ireland), at the end of a phone line, so getting broadband through the line is an issue (It just doesn't work!). The area is also a blackspot for mobile phone signal. 1 Bar GPRS at most.

What I have found is a system call WiMax that will send broadband wirelessly to an antenna mounted on your property. That antenna must have a direct line of sight to the transmitter. Unfortunately for me, that line of site is blocked by a hill (which I own). The house is built in the field the hill is in.

If I go to the top of the hill, I can get full 3G signal, and direct line of sight to the WiMax transmitter. I've paced it out and it approx. 150m to the top of the hill from the house. I've had an idea of some installing the Antenna for WiMax and maybe a mobile repeater and my TV aerials etc... on top of this hill and cabling them back to the house. In essence creating a communication station on top of this hill. Would it be ridiculously expensive? Could this be done? And how would I go about it?

Thanks for any help you can provide me with, or if anybody has any other ideas on how I could solve this little "dilemma" it would be great. As it stands I have a home network that can handle up to 10gb/s (in theory), but a 0.1mb line in!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page