Communication Station on Hill - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I've wired a whole A/V distribution system into a new "smart" home I building. It has all been wired with CAT6, and Coax among others.

My problem is I'm in a avery rural area (Ireland), at the end of a phone line, so getting broadband through the line is an issue (It just doesn't work!). The area is also a blackspot for mobile phone signal. 1 Bar GPRS at most.

What I have found is a system call WiMax that will send broadband wirelessly to an antenna mounted on your property. That antenna must have a direct line of sight to the transmitter. Unfortunately for me, that line of site is blocked by a hill (which I own). The house is built in the field the hill is in.

If I go to the top of the hill, I can get full 3G signal, and direct line of sight to the WiMax transmitter. I've paced it out and it approx. 150m to the top of the hill from the house. I've had an idea of some installing the Antenna for WiMax and maybe a mobile repeater and my TV aerials etc... on top of this hill and cabling them back to the house. In essence creating a communication station on top of this hill. Would it be ridiculously expensive? Could this be done? And how would I go about it?

Thanks for any help you can provide me with, or if anybody has any other ideas on how I could solve this little "dilemma" it would be great. As it stands I have a home network that can handle up to 10gb/s (in theory), but a 0.1mb line in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You might start out by trying to set up "Passive Repeaters", by using a pair of high-gain antennas for each band, set up back-to-back. One antenna would point directly toward the transmitter you're trying to receive, and the other would point directly down toward your house. Since there are no actual "transmissions" involved (in the passive system), I don't think you'd have any problems with the Government folks (is it OFCOM over there?).

I have a friend who ran a 500 foot cable to the top of a ridge behind her house here in Utah for TV and FM reception. She built a 15-foot tower in a cement base (fortunately, there is an access road at the top), and I found her a couple of good pre-amplifiers, one for high-VHF and one for UHF, that matched the cable losses for RG-6/U.

Had she asked me, I would have suggested RG-11/U. So far, no deer or rodents have eaten a hole in the cable....I suggested to her that if they ever start, to replace the cable, and run it inside several lengths of heavy-duty garden hose.

Running anything above UHF TV frequencies, though, might require some other means than wires....maybe a fiber optic. That could get expensive, unless you have some neighbors to share the costs.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #3 of 12 Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

You might start out by trying to set up "Passive Repeaters", by using a pair of high-gain antennas for each band, set up back-to-back. One antenna would point directly toward the transmitter you're trying to receive, and the other would point directly down toward your house. Since there are no actual "transmissions" involved (in the passive system), I don't think you'd have any problems with the Government folks (is it OFCOM over there?).

I have a friend who ran a 500 foot cable to the top of a ridge behind her house here in Utah for TV and FM reception. She built a 15-foot tower in a cement base (fortunately, there is an access road at the top), and I found her a couple of good pre-amplifiers, one for high-VHF and one for UHF, that matched the cable losses for RG-6/U.

Had she asked me, I would have suggested RG-11/U. So far, no deer or rodents have eaten a hole in the cable....I suggested to her that if they ever start, to replace the cable, and run it inside several lengths of heavy-duty garden hose.

Running anything above UHF TV frequencies, though, might require some other means than wires....maybe a fiber optic. That could get expensive, unless you have some neighbors to share the costs.

I would still have to get power to it with a passive system correct?
post #4 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
What about running trenches and conduits up there, and running power, and then using either fiber ethernet or wifi to bring the internet signal down? The TV antenna side could be handled with a heavy enough coax and the right amplifiers.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

That's an idea I toyed with, although I'm reluctant, as I would have to worry about interfering with drainage pipes under the field, and the expense of running all that cable!
post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
I would still have to get power to it with a passive system correct?

no, it's passive, not powered.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The customer side of a WiMAX bridge is Ethernet -- a 10/100Mbps CAT5e connection.

Run a series 11 coaxial cable, CAT5e, and a direct burial low voltage cable (such as landscape lighting cable). Place a pedestal part-way up the hill (Ethernet can be a maximum of 100 meters between active devices)(I'd locate it about halfway). Put a hefty 120-24VAC transformer on the low voltage cable to power your equipment, which will include an Ethernet switch in the pedestal at the midpoint, as well as the WiMAX bridge. The OTA preamp can be powered via the coax. It would be best if they all could be in a conduit, even just 6 inches below ground level. Whether in conduit or not, they all need to be direct burial cables.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that, Its something I'll look into pricing etc...

I'm very interested in the passive system mentioned in the second post. From what I gather it wouldn't require power to be supplied to it, a "cable-less system" How would one go about setting it up, and would it work with WiMax? Sorry for what I guess are silly questions, but when it comes to aerials I'm a novice! Networks etc... I'm grand with, just aerials are a different thing!
post #9 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

A WiMAX bridge requires power. That's something you just cannot get around, as is the fact that an ethernet connection is good for only 100 meters. You're wanting to go 150 meters. You're going to have active components any way you look at it.

Not only do WiMAX antennas need direct line of sight, they are highly directional. Two degrees can make or break functionality. Setting up a passive repeater system would probably cost more in engineering and construction than laying some conduit and pulling some wire.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Shame. There was me thinking a few old tv aerials on a stick would do the job! wink.gif
post #11 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, r.f. isn't quite as easy as that. WiMAX typically runs at ~3.65GHz, so just running a cable from the antenna to the bridge isn't really an option either.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

A WiMAX bridge requires power. That's something you just cannot get around, as is the fact that an ethernet connection is good for only 100 meters. You're wanting to go 150 meters. You're going to have active components any way you look at it.

Not only do WiMAX antennas need direct line of sight, they are highly directional. Two degrees can make or break functionality. Setting up a passive repeater system would probably cost more in engineering and construction than laying some conduit and pulling some wire.

At the two ends. Fiber could avoid having another ethernet switch in the middle...
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page