Cat6 and cat5e punchdown - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a quick question

If I have cat6 jacks, can I punchdown cat5e into them, or would I need seperate cat5e jacks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You can, but you shouldn't. The jacks will say CAT6 suggesting that your wiring and wire match the spec.

But it will work.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

If the wiring code matches (I.e b standard) and the only difference is using cat5e wire instead of cat6 is that okay?

Why do you say you shouldn't?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by breney View Post

If the wiring code matches (I.e b standard) and the only difference is using cat5e wire instead of cat6 is that okay?

Why do you say you shouldn't?

Because the jack will say "cat6", but the wire is only "cat5e". So if, sometime in the future, you, or someone else, needs to plug in something that REQUIRES cat6 (this may not happen for a decade...), it may not work, and you or they will be scratching their heads for days... Kinda like when the restaurant screws up the hoses on soda machine and you get diet coke instead of the good stuff.

So if you need to do it because that's what you've got on hand, and only need to do a few, just scratch off any Cat6 markings. biggrin.gif

But if you're doing a bunch of these, save the money and get some cat5e plugs that are cheaper anyway.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Oh right, I get you now. I wouldn't be expecting it to handle cat6 speeds, just cat5e and know that. The reason I'm doing so, is that I've got a double backboxes, with 3 cat5e and 1cat6, but I can only get sockets that are either 4 cat5e or 4 cat6 in a double faceplate.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
CAT5e will easily do gigabit speeds.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:

The reason I'm doing so, is that I've got a double backboxes, with 3 cat5e and 1cat6, but I can only get sockets that are either 4 cat5e or 4 cat6 in a double faceplate.

Not following - are you not using a keystone jack system? If not, use one of those instead. Then you can mix and match and have coax jacks, etc. all on the same faceplate.

And as egnlsn said, you could just terminate everything as cat5e, since that will work for Gigabit speeds and will very likely hold us for a long, long time in residential networking.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 526
The main difference between 5e and 6 is the physical layout of the wires and connectors. Therefore using 5e connectors on 6 would be compromising. Cat 6 connectors on 5e would be less so.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Cat 6 is also a larger gauge cable.

(LCD - Sony KDL -52 XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not using keystone. It's very expensive, and I can get faceplates with 4 cat6 jacks on them for the price of one keystone.

It was my understand that cat6 had the same strands as cat5e, colours etc... We're te same, and the only difference was the gauge of cable and number of twists??
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:

I'm not using keystone. It's very expensive, and I can get faceplates with 4 cat6 jacks on them for the price of one keystone.

It was my understand that cat6 had the same strands as cat5e, colours etc... We're te same, and the only difference was the gauge of cable and number of twists??

That about covers it.....they are basically the same without getting into some minute differences (cat6 having the separator that reduces cross talk even more than 5e and allows for faster data transfer..up to 10GB).
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:

But it is a very, very important difference. Also, CAT6 has more strict standards for termination - not just the actual jack, but how the wire is untwisted to punch it down.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If you're not going to use all the category cables, only terminate the ones you need now. Leave the others unterminated.

I'd use low voltage rings, and not back boxes. Category cable doesn't like being shoved into a rigid back box.

Pretty easy to replace a junction box with a low voltage ring. Ask how, if you want to do it.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
I believe the only difference is what Skytrooper already said, the gauge of the wire is larger on Cat6 cable. Therefore the need for a slightly different connector.
I have terminated Cat6 with Cat5e connectors and passed everything just fine. But I am not sure how it will work the other way around.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 AM

CAT5, CAT5e, and CAT6 are ratings that apply to the cable, the connectors, the termination, routing, etc. You want to rate CAT6, you do the whole shebang. This is not speaker wire, it is high-performance networking cable. As soon as you put CAT5e connectors on, it is a CAT5e system.

According to engineers: ""Although Category 6 and Category 5e connectors may look alike, Category 6 connectors have much better transmission performance. For example, at 100 MHz, NEXT of a Category 5e connector is 43 decibels (d, while NEXT of a Category 6 connector is 54 dB. This means that a Category 6 connector couples about 1/12 of the power that a Category 5e connector couples from one pair to another pair. Conversely, one can say that a Category 6 connector is 12 times less "noisy" compared to a Category 5e connector. "

Will this affect us? I don't know. Our systems are going to demand higher and higher bandwidth, and we will stress the cables, but who knows whether the marginal benefit is there. As reasonable people, we might make the decision it doesn't matter.

But I don't like that we are giving advice that putting in CAT6 connectors on CAT5e wire is fine, or that it is just a matter of thicker cables or staggered punchdowns. Certification does matter, and when it says CAT6, it should be at least a reasonable attempt at CAT6.

We are no longer in a world of analog and amperes, and we should resist the urge to conflate the new digital world with the old analog one.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
We are no longer in a world of analog and amperes,

Yes we are....those 'digital' signals on the wire are analog.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

I think you know what I mean.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

lol
Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by archbid View Post

I think you know what I mean.

unfortunately, yes.