Home Audio System Questions - I Know Nothing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

A few years ago we purchased a home that was a forclosure. We have no information about the house.

It has a home audio system built in using cat 5 cables. Each room has speakers and a control unit in it and all the cables run to the basement and hook in to the Phase Technology Hub-4 unit. (picture attached). There is also a small box next to it with wires going in to that. The home also has a security system (not sure if this has anything to do with anything).

I have done some research but can't really find out what I need to do to make this work. There doesn't seem to be a power supply going to the Phase Technology unit.

Is there a way to make the Onkyo receiver I have work with this? I am totally confused. What do I need to make this work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
That's an "A-bus" based system. If you're just missing the power supply, you just need to get a 24V power supply (wall wart) that fits and meets the specs.

http://www.phasetech.com/pdfs/prod-lit/HUB-4.pdf

I didn't see the manual on the site (a mistake) - a call or email to Phase Tech would be in order to get a copy. Or use the dealer search to find someone local to help.

You can feed any analog audio source to that hub - up to four different sources. You don't need a receiver or amplifier, the amp is built into the keypads in your rooms. If you want to have Internet Radio, digital music, Pandora, etc. - you can make a really nice setup by simply attaching a Sonos Connect unit to this hub, use the keypads to adjust volume in each room, and use an iPod / iPad / whatever to control the Sonos unit remotely.

If you want to be able to listen to different things in different rooms at the same time, you'd hook up more sources (another Sonos, for example) to this hub.

I can't tell for sure from the picture / wiring, but you may also have "source inputs" in some rooms so that you could feed audio back to the hub (and to the rest of the zones). Do you have any RCA plug outlets in those rooms?

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Liked: 20
Jeff covered it pretty well. As an FYI the other box is phone wiring. Unrelated to the audio. Just thought I'd mention that

Sent with Tapatalk... Pardon typos and terseness
post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers.

I haven't noticed any RCA plugs in any of the rooms. Most of the rooms have plugins for what I thought was Ethernet cables.

I have read that it's possible to send Internet and audio through cat 5.

Would this system do anything else? I would definitely need to connect to it remotely because it is all the way in the basement.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Another thing, there is a single blue wire you can see in the picture. It goes in to a single "data expansion" in plug and there is a single out plug next to it. This blue wire comes from the office. Is that a input from the office? like I could set it up from there?

The weird thing is that there isn't a plugin for the power supply within thirty feet of this thing. They ran power all the way there for the security system. Seems weird they wouldn't run power for this.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Get the installation manual, and read it several times.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page