Doing new home WHA installation - Amplifier question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I am in the process of building a new home and will have 6 zones of in-ceiling speakers prewired.

I'm planning on going with Sonos in my network closet driving the 6 zones.

What I'm wondering is would you recommend just buying the Connect:AMPs with the built in amps or buy the Connects and buy a 12 channel amplifier and run them all through that?

If the latter, does anyone have any recommendation on some decent mid-range amplifiers that would fit this installation?

thanks!

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
ClemsonJeeper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,322
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Well, if you're going to buy six Sonos units anyway, the cost difference between those two options comes close to a wash. I'd stick with the Connect:Amp units, since they would provide more power than a similarly-priced 12-channel amp - if you're really going to just buy six of those...

If you've done any reading in this forum, you know I'll recommend that you run the wiring to allow for future keypads as well. You should also consider at least at HTD WHA system and use a few Sonos Connect units as sources - assuming you don't really need six simultaneous, different streams.

For the same ballpark price, an HTD mid-level system with 2-3 Sonos units and local keypads would give you a nice combination of controls, with just a bit of compromise as volume/source selection would move to the keypads instead of being within the Sonos app...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Well, if you're going to buy six Sonos units anyway, the cost difference between those two options comes close to a wash. I'd stick with the Connect:Amp units, since they would provide more power than a similarly-priced 12-channel amp - if you're really going to just buy six of those...

If you've done any reading in this forum, you know I'll recommend that you run the wiring to allow for future keypads as well. You should also consider at least at HTD WHA system and use a few Sonos Connect units as sources - assuming you don't really need six simultaneous, different streams.

For the same ballpark price, an HTD mid-level system with 2-3 Sonos units and local keypads would give you a nice combination of controls, with just a bit of compromise as volume/source selection would move to the keypads instead of being within the Sonos app...

Jeff

I went back and forth regarding installing a full WHA system like Nuvo, Russound or HTD vs a system like Sonos.

The thing that was the deciding factor is that I am going to be doing HA using HomeSeer, and HomeSeer provides a very nice UI design tool for creating a custom UI for the iPad. So what I'm going to do is use in-wall iPads using LaunchPort mounts/cases (so they can be removed). This way I can use the HomeSeer app for HA control as well as the Sonos app for music control.

Good point on the price wash between the two.. I just wasn't sure if it made more sense to use a dedicated amp with the Connect units. I suppose it doesn't make much sense to save a few hundred bucks when we're already talking 2000+.

Thanks for the response.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
ClemsonJeeper is offline  
Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Member
 
Gramin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
The thing that was the deciding factor is that I am going to be doing HA using HomeSeer, and HomeSeer provides a very nice UI design tool for creating a custom UI for the iPad. So what I'm going to do is use in-wall iPads using LaunchPort mounts/cases (so they can be removed). This way I can use the HomeSeer app for HA control as well as the Sonos app for music control.

Have you looked into iRule at all? iRule allows you to build your own user interface for controlling your home automation equipment, TVs, cable boxes, etc. And there's even a Sonos module so you can do everything from a single app.
Gramin is offline  
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,322
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Yeah, if you're thinking about attempting to integrate Sonos - know that they haven't been open to much of that with their interface. They want to retain control of the UI, so unless HomeSeer has taken the same approach as iRule and allowed the "module" to be incorporated - make sure you know what you'll be able to do with Sonos and what you won't.

As an aside, I'm talking with NuVo to see about getting access to their network protocol / interface to their new wireless systems - which also compete directly with Sonos. FYI - two of the rack-mount NuVo P3100 units would be a slick 6-zone solution at the same price as 6x Sonos units...


Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Gramin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
FYI - two of the rack-mount NuVo P3100 units would be a slick 6-zone solution at the same price as 6x Sonos units

Jeff, the P3100 can stream Pandora et al on it's own, right? And it can stream for your personal music library? I've been leaning towards Sonos but might go the P3100 route. My only issue is the lack of integration with iRule. Not crazy about exiting iRule to launch the P3100.
Gramin is offline  
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,322
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

Jeff, the P3100 can stream Pandora et al on it's own, right? And it can stream for your personal music library? I've been leaning towards Sonos but might go the P3100 route. My only issue is the lack of integration with iRule. Not crazy about exiting iRule to launch the P3100.

Yes. Yes. And me neither... Which is why I'm asking for the documentation (and really want it to be available generally, we'll see what they say).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yeah, if you're thinking about attempting to integrate Sonos - know that they haven't been open to much of that with their interface. They want to retain control of the UI, so unless HomeSeer has taken the same approach as iRule and allowed the "module" to be incorporated - make sure you know what you'll be able to do with Sonos and what you won't.

As an aside, I'm talking with NuVo to see about getting access to their network protocol / interface to their new wireless systems - which also compete directly with Sonos. FYI - two of the rack-mount NuVo P3100 units would be a slick 6-zone solution at the same price as 6x Sonos units...


Jeff

Yup. HomeSeer has some sort of Sonos integration but I don't think its all that great after playing with it for a bit. It doesn't have nearly the functionality as their native app.

I don't think I'd mind switching between apps to control Automation vs Audio, but we'll see.

Thanks for the info on the P3100 - I'll take a look at that as well.

I decided to go with Sonos because I stream 80% of my music and the other 20% is located on a media server. None of the keypad based systems I looked at really integrated that well with streaming audio sources.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
ClemsonJeeper is offline  
Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Member
 
Gramin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Yes. Yes. And me neither... Which is why I'm asking for the documentation (and really want it to be available generally, we'll see what they say).

You might have converted me. How's the iPad/iPhone/Android interface on your NuVo system? I won't be using keypads (at least to start off) so this is important to me. And let us know how your conversations go.
Gramin is offline  
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,322
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

You might have converted me. How's the iPad/iPhone/Android interface on your NuVo system? I won't be using keypads (at least to start off) so this is important to me. And let us know how your conversations go.

The interface for the previous MusicPort and MPS4 / 4e servers is fine. Browse artist/album/playlist/etc. as one would expect, cover art display, adjust any zone volume, on/off, etc. Everything one would expect. I wouldn't call it "fancy" as apps go (meaning, no "cover flow" or other tricked-out GUI elements), but it's very functional and works.

I have only seen the P100 / P200 / P3100 app GUI in demo modes at CEDIA, but it looked equally functional. How well it works, and what enhancements they've made in the last six+ months since the show to the actual released version, I don't know. I really want someone to have one and post some screenshots and review. A shootout between the NuVo and Sonos equivalents is what we really need!

Jeff
wildta likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Member
 
Gramin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
A shootout between the NuVo and Sonos equivalents is what we really need!

Agreed! They should just both give me their systems and let me test them out. If I can get a decent price on the P3100, I think I'll go that route, mostly because it will look great in my AV rack.
Gramin is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 AM
Member
 
wildta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

You might have converted me. How's the iPad/iPhone/Android interface on your NuVo system? I won't be using keypads (at least to start off) so this is important to me. And let us know how your conversations go.

I haven't checked but I wonder if you can download the app and play with it without having the device. I know Sonos app looks for a Sonos device before you can really see the app's features. Just a thought.

EDIT:
Just like Sonos, Nuvo's app looks for devices but you can see a bit of the GUI and menu options. Worth checking out at no cost for the app at least on Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuvo.android&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd
wildta is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,322
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
There's a small set of screenshots (click the "view larger" and you'll get 3-6 images of each) of the NuVo apps on their website:

http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/wireless-systems/p100/controllers

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I decided to go the NuVo P3100 route since I feel there is a greater chance in the future of them opening up their API for HA systems, and I like the idea of having a rack mounted device rather than a stack of Connect:AMPs.

We have a NuVo dealer nearby that gave me a decent quote ($1399) for the P3100. I ordered it today. Should show up in the next few days, so I'll try to give it a very thorough review in a new thread after I get a chance to hook it up.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
ClemsonJeeper is offline  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,322
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

I decided to go the NuVo P3100 route since I feel there is a greater chance in the future of them opening up their API for HA systems, and I like the idea of having a rack mounted device rather than a stack of Connect:AMPs.

I've been in contact with NuVo requesting a documented API, which they've said they WILL provide. So please ask your dealer for it, so that he requests it from NuVo - so that they here it from as many customers as possible.
Quote:
We have a NuVo dealer nearby that gave me a decent quote ($1399) for the P3100. I ordered it today. Should show up in the next few days, so I'll try to give it a very thorough review in a new thread after I get a chance to hook it up.

Woo hoo! Really looking forward to a full review! I noticed that NuVo did an upgrade of the iOS app to include a simple "demo mode" that gives you a quick walkthrough of the app. From there you can get a good overview of its capabilities, which have been improved over the old MPS4 app - but it's incremental improvement... (meaning, it was pretty good already)


Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I've been in contact with NuVo requesting a documented API, which they've said they WILL provide. So please ask your dealer for it, so that he requests it from NuVo - so that they here it from as many customers as possible.
Woo hoo! Really looking forward to a full review! I noticed that NuVo did an upgrade of the iOS app to include a simple "demo mode" that gives you a quick walkthrough of the app. From there you can get a good overview of its capabilities, which have been improved over the old MPS4 app - but it's incremental improvement... (meaning, it was pretty good already)


Jeff

I get the feeling that the NuVo dealer that is near me really doesn't push NuVo all that much (they tried to steer me away from a NuVo Grand Concerto a few months ago when I walked in to talk to them about it) so I'm not sure how much pull they will have with NuVo in this regard. However, I will talk to the sales guy when I go to pick up my unit about it.

I'm *definitely* interested in getting access to the API and doing some development for it (HomeSeer plugin).

And yep, I tried the demo mode on the app a couple weeks ago and decided that the app was robust enough to meet my needs even if they drag their feet releasing the API. I don't mind switching apps on my in-wall iPads between HSTouch & the NuVo app to control music. The app was pretty slick from what I saw, and was comparable to Sonos's app which steered me in NuVo's direction.

The only thing that was holding me back from the NuVo vs Sonos was Sonos' domination of music sources. However, I figure music share + Pandora + Rhapsody can definitely give me all the music I can consume, so I don't really need IHeartRadio, etc that Sonos provides and NuVo doesn't currently.

We're closing on our new house tomorrow AM and start moving tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully I'll get some speakers installed in-ceiling soon and get the P3100 to review soon!

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
ClemsonJeeper is offline  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,322
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

We're closing on our new house tomorrow AM and start moving tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully I'll get some speakers installed in-ceiling soon and get the P3100 to review soon!

Congrats! I spend a good week after closing doing speaker and TV mount installs before I had the movers bring everything in. Priorities! biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 03-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Member
 
smenzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the Nuvo (or any of the systems for that matter) let you select an iTunes playlist from the wall keypads or iphone app? While browsing music is nice, I generally do this from my computer because I have too much too look at on a small screen and just put my favorites in playlists. As long as I can browse and select those, I don't care about the rest of it. Any systems that don't support this?

Thanks!
Scott
smenzer is offline  
Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,322
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzer View Post

Does the Nuvo (or any of the systems for that matter) let you select an iTunes playlist from the wall keypads or iphone app? While browsing music is nice, I generally do this from my computer because I have too much too look at on a small screen and just put my favorites in playlists. As long as I can browse and select those, I don't care about the rest of it. Any systems that don't support this?

Thanks!
Scott

That's a common feature. I don't know what playlist formats they all support, but there's a "Playlist" menu item, and stuff shows up there. I don't use playlists much, but it's there. Pandora is my casual browsing/playback method of choice, which was previously "XM Fred", before Sirius neutered it... rolleyes.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off