Baby monitor camera directly wired to my HD set? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm almost finished with my family room project and over the weekend we picked up the centerpiece:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358200794&sr=8-2&keywords=vizio

Now we can watch TV comfortably down in the basement, which is great, except that in the living room where we used to watch TV, it was easy to hear my daughter if she was not sleeping well and/or trying to escape her crib (yes, we're in that stage now), but now we're downstairs on the opposite side of the house, so we're in the market for a baby monitor. They've come a long way since the crappy old walkie talkie types that my parents used. Everything now is wireless and either has its own screen or is web-based. The monitors with their own screens are usually $100+, and I'm not crazy about the web-based ones. Sure they're easy, but putting a live feed of my little one sleeping onto the WWW (password protected or not) isn't my cup of tea. This one looks cheap enough:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U8VL9K/ref=s9_simh_gw_p421_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=03209G5J2BQXZ7HK4KWC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Even with the 50' of power/video cord it would only be about $60. The question is, would I be able to feed the signal to my HD set? I have component inputs, but they're for 1080-if I plugged the single RCA into one of the three inputs would I get any picture at all? If not, are there cameras that will send a signal via coaxial cable? I have plenty of that laying around and there is of course a coxial input on the TV. Basically the goal is to be able to just have one of my inputs designated "BABY MONITOR" and to be able to flip to it in between channel surfing or during a movie/football game/etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM

Liked: 12
You could use an analog cam like you posted the link for and then modulate the signal to your tv over coax. That way you could just flip inputs on the tv from hdmi/component or whatever to the tv-coax input and see the baby. You could grab a cheapo audio baby monitor and when you hear noise or crying or whatever just flip it over the to that input.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 335
There's web-based solutions using IP cameras already set up for this - there's no need to expose the feed to the Internet - it's only available on your own network (wired / wireless). You *DO* secure your wireless network, right? A friend uses one and monitors via an app / web page on a tablet sitting with him.

The modulated solution is also good - especially if your display happens to have Picture-in-Picture support, since most TVs limited PIP to the internal tuner plus one other input anyway... But PiP has become rare.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM

Jeff and the OP-

I was going to suggest ip technology but might be difficult to get the image displayed on the display which I believe he wants to do. He would need to have a pc involved with the web browser up showing the cam connection and then somehow output it to the display. Might be a more involved and tedious compared to an analog solution but options are out there.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Yeah if you really want to put the camera feed on the display the analog modulator is certainly the way to go.

I was suggesting IP with a phone/tablet app as a better alternative since it doesn't interfere with normal viewing. The OP was concerned about privacy, but there's no issue there as the signal never had to leave the home network...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chael View Post

You could use an analog cam like you posted the link for and then modulate the signal to your tv over coax. That way you could just flip inputs on the tv from hdmi/component or whatever to the tv-coax input and see the baby. You could grab a cheapo audio baby monitor and when you hear noise or crying or whatever just flip it over the to that input.

What would I need to modulate it? One of those old school converters like I used to have to hook my Nintendo up to our ancient console TV?
post #7 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post

What would I need to modulate it? One of those old school converters like I used to have to hook my Nintendo up to our ancient console TV?

Not familiar with the old school nintendo converters....but anyway...you can go with something simple like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Corporation-CRF907R-Compact-Modulator/dp/B0014KKV7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358255570&sr=1-1

Or something a little better brand name like channel vision like this:

http://www.amazon.com/CHANNEL-5415-Single-Channel-Modulator/dp/B000246TJK/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358255570&sr=1-9

And if my memory serves me correctly, you can even use an old vcr if you still remember what that is smile.gif

Just google "rf modulator" and you will receive a ton of information on anything you wanted to know about modulators...lol
post #8 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

RF modulator-that's what I was thinking of. So can I just plug the single video RCA into any of the three component plugs and get an SD picture?
post #9 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 AM

Yes, basically you take the video out from the cam into one of the video inputs of the modulator and then coax out to the display. That way you just flip over to that input from your tv remote when your ready to see your bundle of joy:)
post #10 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
So can I just plug the single video RCA into any of the three component plugs and get an SD picture?

If you plug into the 'y' input, you'll get a monochrome image. the other two will not produce an image.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm starting to look into video monitors too. I'm perfectly fine with doing an IP camera though, wired or wireless. I would like to be able to use my iPhones or iPads to be able to watch the video on them. I think I would prefer one that only turns on the camera when we log into watch it though. I don't need the camera broadcasting 24-7.

I'm also looking for recommendations on a cheap audio only monitor as well (temperature readout would be nice too thoguh). That way people who are visiting/babysitting can use the audio only one easily, and we can use it most of the time, and then just log in and check the video whenever we need to.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 05:42 AM

Liked: 10
Hi, does anyone have ideas on how to do this.
im fine too with IP cameras
requirements would be:
- IR functionality (Ability to see video in low/no light)
- camera should have mic

i havent found any ip cameras that have both IR and sound.

would love to be able for it to cycle between 2-3 rooms for multiple children.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve10024 View Post

Hi, does anyone have ideas on how to do this.
im fine too with IP cameras
requirements would be:
- IR functionality (Ability to see video in low/no light)
- camera should have mic

i havent found any ip cameras that have both IR and sound.

would love to be able for it to cycle between 2-3 rooms for multiple children.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1JW0F03777 'Shell Shocker' deal today, too.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1JW0F03777 'Shell Shocker' deal today, too.

i'll second the Foscam.
Best on market with tone of functionality. I've done multiple set-ups in both wired and wireless modes in both local network only or with remote over the internet monitoring.
I've tested a tone of iOS apps, following 2 are my top picks: Forscam Surveillance Pro and Baby Monitor for IP Camera.

here is a link to simple step-by-step setup instructions:
http://foscam.us/forum/airport-extreme-fi8908w-setup-t111.html

its Apple oriented but will work for any router/OS...
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page