How to best design system aimed at easy user interface - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Helping my brother out with AV system as he is building a new house. What I am most concerned with is having a system that is really easy to use for the wife and kids. None of them are really audiophiles. They are the kind of people who will end up listening through ipad or laptop speakers because it is easier.

What I think we want to accomplish is 7 rooms with audio only and 3 with TV also.

I am imagining a system designed around apple airplay. Basically what I am thinking is:

each of the ten rooms has a pioneer vsx-1012 which are currently $240 on amazon. receivers are in an av closet. All rooms are wired for speaker wire inside the walls. House has several ipads. If a user wants to listen to sound in room 7, he simply goes onto ipad and streams music from spotify or pandora and clicks airplay icon and selects pioneer receiver labeled "room 7". If he wished to access itunes library, I will have a PC always on running itunes with home sharing enabled.

It seems that as of today airplay on an ios device will only allow streaming to one airplay receiver. However if someone wanted to put on music in multiple rooms my solution is to get on the macbook or PC and play your music. Those devices will have airfoil installed which will allow them to steram to multiple airplay receivers.

video will simply be blu ray players and fios boxes in the closet hooked up to the receivers. remotes will either be rf or infrared. cabling will be cat6 with hdmi wall plates.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
each of the ten rooms has a pioneer vsx-1012 which are currently $240 on amazon. receivers are in an av closet.

Wow! 10 receivers in a single AV closet? How big is that AV closet? The receivers alone would take up 40 units in a rack. I would look into alternatives, like a true WHA system, such as Sonos, Russound, HTD or NuVo. You'll end up spending a bit more, but you'll have a much better end user experience. With a true WHA system, you can group rooms together into one bigger zone, yet independently control the volume in each of the rooms.

Quote:
What I am most concerned with is having a system that is really easy to use for the wife and kids.

All of the aforementioned's smartphone/tablet apps are intuitive and easy to use.

Quote:
If he wished to access itunes library, I will have a PC always on running itunes with home sharing enabled.

You're better off getting a dedicated server and placing all the music on the server instead of leaving a PC on 24/7. You can get cheap ones for $100-$200.

Quote:
However if someone wanted to put on music in multiple rooms my solution is to get on the macbook or PC and play your music. Those devices will have airfoil installed which will allow them to steram to multiple airplay receivers.

This makes the system less intuitive...

Quote:
video will simply be blu ray players and fios boxes in the closet hooked up to the receivers. remotes will either be rf or infrared. cabling will be cat6 with hdmi wall plates.

One blu ray player per video zone? For remotes, look at iRule. Using wifi to control your system will be better than IR and RF. And skip the wall plates. Just pass the Cat6 through the wall to an HDMI balun as close to TV as possible. Then get a short HDMI cable to complete your run.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
None of them are really audiophiles.

PS: Where's Jeff... that's his favorite line.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

PS: Where's Jeff... that's his favorite line.

I gave up... biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Be sure to install an Enterprise Grade Home Network with robust wireless access points (waps). Ruckus is a mfg of network gear, I'd research which type of equipment best fits the size of your Brothers home.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page