New construction A/V setup advice needed. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Included in my home price is the standard cat6/RG6 run to all bedrooms and main level/downstairs family rooms.

For home audio I will likely use a Sonos setup so that I can expand as needed and control from any iOS device.

If I'd like to be able to watch different movies/tv in each room at same time would I be better off putting components in the rooms or setting up a distributed system in a main level closet?

ie. daughter can watch a blueray in her bedroom while i watch a different bluray in the living room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Start here:

http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Wiring_Your_New_House_101

Read all three sections... Wire for the potential, whether you plan to use it initially or not (within reason).

Centralizing components will be more expensive for most uses these days. Relocating BD players and other physical-media devices means you have to walk around the house to load a disc (not usually a good idea).

If you're wanting to centralize for a "clean" install, or need to share content from a server or other expensive source, those are good reasons to go with distributed video. You'll want to up the number of cat5e / cat6 drops around the various rooms if you want to go this route.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 15 Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Install in-ceiling and in-wall speakers for the Sonos (or whatever system you end up with).

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 15 Old 01-16-2013, 06:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Centralizing components will be more expensive for most uses these days. Relocating BD players and other physical-media devices means you have to walk around the house to load a disc

Agreed with Jeff. For your use, it would seem that local sources are probably the best. And to his other point re: shared source, such as a movie server, you can always place the shared source in the A/V closet where the Cat cables homerun, and keep the blu ray and cable boxes local.

Re: Sonos, how many zones are you planning from the start and for future expansion? Sonos is a great option (one that I'm still considering), but depending on how many zones you add, it can quickly become more expensive than other WHA systems.

And re: Cat runs... are your wiring plans already finalized? Do the plans include any speaker cable runs? If not finalized, make sure you run speaker cable and add a couple more Cat runs. You can never have too much Cat cable.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

Agreed with Jeff. For your use, it would seem that local sources are probably the best. And to his other point re: shared source, such as a movie server, you can always place the shared source in the A/V closet where the Cat cables homerun, and keep the blu ray and cable boxes local.

Re: Sonos, how many zones are you planning from the start and for future expansion? Sonos is a great option (one that I'm still considering), but depending on how many zones you add, it can quickly become more expensive than other WHA systems.

And re: Cat runs... are your wiring plans already finalized? Do the plans include any speaker cable runs? If not finalized, make sure you run speaker cable and add a couple more Cat runs. You can never have too much Cat cable.

The plans do not include speaker cable.. just the standard Cat6 to each room.

I will wire for 5.1 in both living rooms.

Sonos zones.. no more than 4-5. I would probably just throw a Play3 or 5 in the rooms instead of doing in-wall/ceiling speakers

* I can run the speaker wire myself.. general contractor has been easy to work with.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvert86 View Post

Sonos zones.. no more than 4-5. I would probably just throw a Play3 or 5 in the rooms instead of doing in-wall/ceiling speakers

The standalone units may work fine for a bedroom, but for other spaces, in-wall or in-ceiling speakers for background music (kitchen, dining room, patio, etc.) are a better solution. I don't know many folks that would put a Play unit in the Dining room, for example...

And if you *don't* wire for it now, you've given up that potential in the future. The wires don't have to be exposed (in the ceilings or at the volume control / keypad locations) - they can be hidden, documented, and retrieved if and when you decide to use them.

Wire is cheap. Really, really cheap. The entire wire budget can be dwarfed by a single retrofit effort to add one needed wire to a location later...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 15 Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I can run the speaker wire myself.. general contractor has been easy to work with. Can I simply run the wire and terminate/mount it to a plate or similar in the expected speaker location?

You're not going to want to terminate it at all. For in ceiling speakers, it will run directly into the speaker. At the homerun location, it's best to run it directly into the AVR / amp. Wall plates just create another point where something could go wrong. You can buy preconstruction speaker brackets that will make it easier for you to mount the in-ceiling speakers.

Quote:
Sonos zones.. no more than 4-5.

Assuming you're going with the Connect Amp, each zone costs $500. You could do something like the NuVo P3100 which has an MSRP of $1500 for 3 zones (could possibly get it cheaper). HTD has a system that will give you 6 zones for about $1000 (http://www.htd.com/Products/mid-level-whole-house-audio).

Quote:
I will wire for 5.1 in both living rooms and speaker wire to all bedrooms and the master bath to support in ceiling/wall speakers in the future.

Wire all bedrooms, all bathrooms, kitchen, dining room, laundry room, etc. It's cheap to run the wire before the drywall is in. And it allows you to expand in the future, if you or the next home owner ever wants to. Just leave the cable hidden behind the drywall until it's needed.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM

Liked: 11
Gramin.... I looked on monoprice but couldn't find the "pre-construction" brackets you spoke about. Do you have a link?
post #9 of 15 Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Looking into the HTD system...

Will certainly do the preconstruction brackets and speaker wire to all rooms.

Obviously I should check out the speaker forum but anything offhand that you guys would recommend for the in-ceiling speakers? Max of $250/ea on speakers and with the music I listen to I'd love to have a sub but doubt it's very feasible other than using a 5.1 setup in all my rooms.

* With the HTD system.. should I use something like a Sonos connect as the source or simply my A/V receiver that has pandora etc (I suppose either/both would work)
post #10 of 15 Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
With the HTD system.. should I use something like a Sonos connect as the source or simply my A/V receiver that has pandora etc (I suppose either/both would work)

Both... the more sources, the more zones. If you only have 1 source, you can only stream the same song throughout the entire house. If you have 2 sources (or more), you can simultaneously stream different music to different rooms.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

Both... the more sources, the more zones. If you only have 1 source, you can only stream the same song throughout the entire house. If you have 2 sources (or more), you can simultaneously stream different music to different rooms.

Ah ok.. I think I'm just going to pre-wire everything and decide on a control system and speakers/amp later.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Ah ok.. I think I'm just going to pre-wire everything and decide on a control system and speakers/amp later.

Yeah, that's the most important piece. When in doubt, run the wire! Better to run more wire than not enough.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You get one chance to wire a home. Do it wisely the first time!

Travis Leo
Denver, CO
Residential Systems, Inc.
www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com
post #14 of 15 Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisleo View Post

You get one chance to wire a home. Do it wisely the first time!
I think it's more like: You only get one chance to prewire a home. After that, you become a pro at rewiring a home. wink.gif

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvert86 View Post

If I'd like to be able to watch different movies/tv in each room at same time would I be better off putting components in the rooms or setting up a distributed system in a main level closet?

ie. daughter can watch a blueray in her bedroom while i watch a different bluray in the living room

Homerun everything, but don't centralize any component not built to be networked unless you are all-in on hiring an integrator and getting it done right.

For today, the only centralized services that are reasonable are for audio, notably Sonos. It is built to be pout in a closet, and it is plug and play with music sources and remotes. I believe a few other companies are moving this direction, but Sonos made it happen.

In video, centralization is almost nonexistent. The HD HomeRun is the only device I have found that is a true wiring closet element, built to be networked. Boxee, Apple TV, and others are getting close, but they don't have it right yet, and should still be next to the tv, not in the closet. And ATT Uverse is in the right direction, but is not there.

Something like a Blueray player should just be next to the TV. I know there are people who build centralized media servers, but DRM blocks any useful media serving of BlueRay, so you have to have the disc, and therefore you should have the disc player nearby. Plus, BlueRay is a dead man walking.

Again, I know that with substantial investment you can build a killer system with HDMI switching, etc, but centralizing products that are intended to support a single TV is not a long-term proposition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page