New to me home that was prewired when built - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good morning everyone…I’m trying to find some help with my question. I have searched and have come up with over 100 pages of search results. I’ve even been reading some threads in the search results in hopes someone had or has an issue like mine. So here I go…

I moved into my new home about a year ago and I’m now getting around to dealing with the prewired built in ceiling speakers. After searching high and low I finally found all the connections in the basement and now I need some help in figuring out the next step. The current setup in the house is as follows:

3 speakers in the master bedroom
1 speaker in each of the 3 guest rooms
1 speaker in the dining room
3 speakers in the kitchen

Each of the rooms with speakers has its own volume control knob

Each of the rooms on the 2nd floor has some weird jack connection in the wall; I have attached a picture of this jack thing.

The speaker connections are in the basement…hidden in a small space between 2 floor joists.

Here’s what I’m trying to accomplish…I want to be able to stream music to the entire house, but I also want to be able to individualize music or sound to a room. So for example if we are having friends over we would like to hear music in the whole house, but in the morning when my gf is getting ready she wants to be able to stream music in our room only, from a different source that is not the main receiver that would be driving the house. Also…based on my picture, the connections are just there…how could I clean this up and do something with it? I have a finished basement and have thought about making an A/V closet, move my cable connections from where they reside now to something more central, vs the cluster the original builder has in the corner of my basement, and possibly the speaker connections.

Lastly…I think…I need to get this whole setup up and running…on the cheap. I don’t mind DIY, I am terrible with coding, but ok with anything else. I think I have captured everything, so any help, ideas, thoughts, anything at all is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Lastly…I think…I need to get this whole setup up and running…on the cheap.

So what you're saying is that you're not an audiophile? wink.gif

Quote:
I want to be able to stream music to the entire house, but I also want to be able to individualize music or sound to a room.

The simplest solution is Sonos. Each zone would cost $500 and could consist of two pairs of speakers. If you're going to want more than three zones, Sonos starts to get expensive when compared to some alternatives (primarily HTD). For Sonos, look at the Sonos Connect Amp.

Quote:
3 speakers in the master bedroom

Strange... you'd usually have 1 stereo speaker or 2 speakers for the L/R channels. Are all three stereo speakers?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

So what you're saying is that you're not an audiophile? wink.gif
The simplest solution is Sonos. Each zone would cost $500 and could consist of two pairs of speakers. If you're going to want more than three zones, Sonos starts to get expensive when compared to some alternatives (primarily HTD). For Sonos, look at the Sonos Connect Amp.
Strange... you'd usually have 1 stereo speaker or 2 speakers for the L/R channels. Are all three stereo speakers?

I am an audiophile...but the gf has me on a tight spending leash as we are still furnishing the house and getting it up to par. Wish i had a bigger budget biggrin.gif

Sonos.. I've been reading about it, but at $500 a zone...that's a tough pill to swallow. I've been asked do i want a new 80" led tv or do i want to spend money on the surround sound. What about using a computer to control the speakers and creating zones?

The master bedroom is odd...there are 2 speakers in the room itself and one in our master bathroom. The speaker in the bathroom is controlled by the volume control in the bathroom, so i just grouped it with the bedroom speakers.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
What about using a computer to control the speakers and creating zones?

Possible but not easy to do. You want a device that you can quickly turn on and control from the convenience of your smartphone, not something you have to get onto your computer and mess around with. If it's easy to use, you'll use it. If not, you won't. You should expect to spend about $1500 to get it up and running. NuVo offers a 3 zone system for $1500, while the HTD system has a 6 zone system for $1000. However, with the latter, it doesn't have any sources. So you'll still need to pick up something like the Sonos Connect for $350 (which will only give you one zone).
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page