Russound A-Bus / Door Chime integration ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Years ago, a contractor requested I specifically prewire for a M&S XDM4600 system. I have to admit, I remember liking the idea of an A-bus type system that muted the audio and produced a chime tone over the system when visitors rang the door bell. That and also allowed communications from each keypad to the doorbell speaker. It was a pre-wire only with the option of trimming the system out given to whom ever bought the home.

Out of the blue I recently received a call from the individual who purchased the home and wanted to have the system trimmed out. Unfortunately the M&S system has been discontinued. With any of the A-Bus systems still being an option, I am hoping to find a way to integrate the Door Bell to some extent. I know that Russound has a module that allows muting of the audio for 6 seconds when doorbell is pressed, allowing you to hear the standard door chime. That being if their A-C68 controller us utilized . With that controller also having a page audio input, I can't help but think there is some means to generate a door chime sound over the system during that 6 second mute. I only have a single cat 5-e running from the doorbell location to the controller. Nothing running to the Door Chime itself.
Wondering if there is anything out there that would be a direct plug in or "can be made to work" solution. Seems like it would be such a desirable feature that Russound would have addressed it already.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I understand you want to help the homeowner, but it will take some time to figure out. The easiest, and best solution, IMO, is to find a good installer, to do it for him. He needs an Integrator.

You don't want to find an ABUS system that supports a doorbell, only to find out it's junk when it arrives. Find someone experienced.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Guessing you just skimmed over my post.
I have a good bit of experience installing various Russound and OnQ Legrand A-Bus based systems over the years, Probably in the neighborhood of 70 or so. Sorry if I don't think I should throw in the towel and sub it out quiet yet.
This system was specifically prewired or the M&S XDM4600 system which was an integrated Audio / Intercom system that basically utilized the same wiring configuration as the A-Bus. It has been discontinued so not an option now.
So in a nutshell, it is essentially prewired for an A-Bus System with a Cat-5e between doorbell location and controller.. No additional conductors to integrate anything like the ComPoint No phone or existing intercom system I need to integrate into. Budget not there to go with systems that abandon the wiring or try and retrofit in more.

With the two inputs mentioned in my original post, it should not be difficult too come up with a solution. Perhaps something out there on the market already or simply built from existing products. Knowing there are some very experienced installers here who lap me several times in knowledge especially with Russound products, I was hoping one of them have addressed the same question and may have ideals to share
I still appreciate that you took the time to type your response though.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought you were the original homeowner! I didn't even notice your name, which I've seen many times here. Sorry!

I'd call Viking Electronics first. Then call Channel Vision for their suggestions.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 10
Hello

Attached you can download a PDF that references some third party doorbell modules that have been tested with the A-C68 controller. Russound doesn't endorse any specific product, and there may be other brands out there that are just as good if not better than the ones listed, but this list is a good place to start. Hope this helps.

adding+doorbell+chimes.pdf 198k .pdf file

~Jay
Attached Files
File Type: pdf adding+doorbell+chimes.pdf (198.3 KB, 29 views)
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to Jay at Russound. Hope to see you around more, Jay.

The Viking SLP-4 and RDL devices are also on Nuvo's list of doorbell devices. I plan to use the SLP-4 in my home, on the to do list.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Jay,
Thank you very very much. After Neurorad suggested looking at Vikings offerings, I came upon and was looking at the SLP-4 . Knowing others have utilized it with success makes it much more comforting to go that path.

Thank You Both

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Russound A Kp Rc A Bus Learning Remote Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page