Undecided, Russound MCA-C5 help.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys,
I'm currently looking to upgrade my CA66 possibly to an MCA-C5 system. I have 11 zones so will need two units linked together. Alternatively, thinking of going the Control4 route. I have a few questions that should help me decide:

1. When using the Russound App, do you get album cover art for your ITunes albums?
2. Can you link an MCA-C5 with an MCA-C3?
3. The CA66 must remain in standby mode to power up the system from a zone. Is this the case with the MCA systems?
4. What type of metadata do you get at the keypads when streaming via AirPlay? What about from attached drives?

Thanks for your help on this....any and all information is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey, I know this thread is a bit older at this point, but I just stumbled on to it and wanted to answer your questions.

See below!

1. When using the Russound App, do you get album cover art for your ITunes albums?

Yes, assuming you are using a DMS-3.1 and some sort of DLNA application on the Mac or PC where the iTunes library is stored.

2. Can you link an MCA-C5 with an MCA-C3?

No.

3. The CA66 must remain in standby mode to power up the system from a zone. Is this the case with the MCA systems?

Yes, that remains the same. The MCA-C3 has a low power mode that consumes less than 1w while on standby, which may address your concern.

4. What type of metadata do you get at the keypads when streaming via AirPlay? What about from attached drives?

Attached drives you get full meta data. Today, with AirPlay you do not. However, the next update of the firmware for the DMS will enable this feature.

Hope that helps,

Steve
smenzer likes this.

Steve LeBlanc
Director of Customer Support
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #3 of 8 Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve LeBlanc View Post

Attached drives you get full meta data. Today, with AirPlay you do not. However, the next update of the firmware for the DMS will enable this feature.

Steve, that's very cool! From a practical standpoint, will this work for popular apps like Pandora? I don't know what, if anything, an iOS app has to do to enable metadata availability via AirPlay...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 12:43 PM

That's correct. Any audio application should just work. I don't know a ton about the application development part of the equation, but from what I have seen, if it populates the lock screen with meta data it should send it via AirPlay. Pandora and Spotify specifically have been tested.

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #5 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 04:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve LeBlanc View Post

Yes, assuming you are using a DMS-3.1 and some sort of DLNA application on the Mac or PC where the iTunes library is stored.

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by DMS-3.1 and what a DLNA application on a Mac would be? Does iTunes count?

Thanks!
Scott
post #6 of 8 Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 PM

iTunes is a content management program, it does not handle DLNA (DLNA is a standard for shipping content around your home network). There are several inexpensive programs that can do this on a Mac. The two we have seen the best luck with are Jamcast and Twonky.

Best regards,

Steve
smenzer likes this.

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #7 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Liked: 10

Hello,

Steve or anyone in forum.  Do you need the DMS-3.1 to access music from media server?  I was looking to replace NAD amp with MCA-C5 in order to give zone control from the Ipad app, but if Ihave to purchase a DMS 3.1 or simiar it will double the cost.  Although it would be nice to see the cover art it is not truly needed if it can be accessed without it.

thanks,

Mike

post #8 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 AM

Hi Mike,

I believe that we spoke on the phone the other day. You would need the DMS3.1 to access a media server.

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page