New Construction, input on gameplan please! (Pics included) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The long process of financing, weather, and such has elapsed. I have been given access to run wiring, pre-drywall and insulation. I'm looking for input, or suggestions. Also I've been looking for some flexible conduit for low voltage that I could run to select areas if I should need to pull any wire in the future.

My plan thus far:
2-3 runs of Cat6 to each room
1 run of RG6 to each room
2 pair of 14AWG speaker wire to each room
Pre-wire greatroom for 5.1, wall mount TV

All run to central mechanical room in the basement. My thoughts are that this should cover me, as my video is done via network streaming, and I can fall back on the RG6 if need be. Also, the extra Cat6 can cover a variety of scenarios. The speaker wires would allow me the ability for WHA later, with a stereo pair available for each room.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thank you.

Pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
2-3 runs of Cat6 to each room

I would throw in another run or two of Cat. Can never have too much of it. Not to mention current HD over Cat requires 1 or 2 Cat cables, depending on your solution. You'll want an extra line for internet capability, just in case. Also, for future WHA, do you want any keypads? If so, run Cat cable to possible keypad locations. You'll also need to loop the speaker wire through any locations where you might have on wall volume controls.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I would use soiled copper RG6 and and with the cat and rg6 cables at around 100 bucks for 1000 foot reels it cheap and easy. I would also run 4 rg6's to the roof from the basement for satellite or cable just to have it there. One more thing that would be nice is to drop 12/2 Romex to the area behind any TV set, I am assuming that you'll wall mount everything. What I did was to build a new wire loom from a central location in the home to every drop behind the panels on the wall, and to the drop for the audio/video components in the home theater. I have a power conditioner/surge protection the first thing after the breaker, with home runs to each location. I used 14/3 Romex for this because it is round and easy to pull at the same time giving me the ability to split circuits. I don't like cable on the floor anywhere and the only on the floor cables of any kind are 3 speaker cables behind the couch from the wall in the main room for the surounds, and some day they will be gone. I have all the other video/audio cables, power in walls and out of sight. the keypads and volume controls are great ides and security cameras are my next project.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM

Liked: 19
You can use poly pipe (used for under ground sprinklers) as a flexible pipe for your future runs. Just don't kink it.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #5 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

I would throw in another run or two of Cat. Can never have too much of it. Not to mention current HD over Cat requires 1 or 2 Cat cables, depending on your solution. You'll want an extra line for internet capability, just in case.
Quote:

+1 on this advice...not to mention possible IR use. Category wire has multiple uses...if I had it to do all over again the minimum I would run to each outlet would be 5!
post #6 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13 View Post

Also I've been looking for some flexible conduit for low voltage that I could run to select areas if I should need to pull any wire in the future.

Yes, do not and I repeat do not forget to make pathways for future expansion. Whether its just drilling holes between floors or actually putting in conduit (or whatever), just don't forget. I spent all weekend wire pathing from basement to attic because I did not know any better when building our house 5+ years ago. And I am sore from head to toe drilling through sub-floors, beams, and god only knows what else inside the wall! Don't make the same mistake I did......
post #7 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chael View Post

Yes, do not and I repeat do not forget to make pathways for future expansion.
+1

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

I would throw in another run or two of Cat. Can never have too much of it. Not to mention current HD over Cat requires 1 or 2 Cat cables, depending on your solution. You'll want an extra line for internet capability, just in case. Also, for future WHA, do you want any keypads? If so, run Cat cable to possible keypad locations. You'll also need to loop the speaker wire through any locations where you might have on wall volume controls.
Thanks for the input. I'll go ahead and pick up two boxes of Cat6 specifically. Keypads would more than likely be the easiest for WHA no? I have no experience, but I'm imagining library/song control via wifi, with volume done via keypads per room?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

I would use soiled copper RG6 and and with the cat and rg6 cables at around 100 bucks for 1000 foot reels it cheap and easy. I would also run 4 rg6's to the roof from the basement for satellite or cable just to have it there. One more thing that would be nice is to drop 12/2 Romex to the area behind any TV set, I am assuming that you'll wall mount everything. What I did was to build a new wire loom from a central location in the home to every drop behind the panels on the wall, and to the drop for the audio/video components in the home theater. I have a power conditioner/surge protection the first thing after the breaker, with home runs to each location. I used 14/3 Romex for this because it is round and easy to pull at the same time giving me the ability to split circuits. I don't like cable on the floor anywhere and the only on the floor cables of any kind are 3 speaker cables behind the couch from the wall in the main room for the surounds, and some day they will be gone. I have all the other video/audio cables, power in walls and out of sight. the keypads and volume controls are great ides and security cameras are my next project.
Good idea on the RG6 and Romex, noted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

You can use poly pipe (used for under ground sprinklers) as a flexible pipe for your future runs. Just don't kink it.
Interesting, I'll look into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chael View Post

Yes, do not and I repeat do not forget to make pathways for future expansion. Whether its just drilling holes between floors or actually putting in conduit (or whatever), just don't forget. I spent all weekend wire pathing from basement to attic because I did not know any better when building our house 5+ years ago. And I am sore from head to toe drilling through sub-floors, beams, and god only knows what else inside the wall! Don't make the same mistake I did......
Thanks, I'll add that to my notes.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13 View Post

Thanks for the input. I'll go ahead and pick up two boxes of Cat6 specifically. Keypads would more than likely be the easiest for WHA no? I have no experience, but I'm imagining library/song control via wifi, with volume done via keypads per room?

Wire cat5e to the volume control locations as well. Then you can use any keypad / future touchscreen control panels available, in addition to wireless devices. The two control methods complement each other quite well.

I can't recommend using sprinkler tubing for conduit, though. Very difficult to work with, may give an inspector something to complain about, and not big enough to be particularly useful. Use the low-volt flex conduit designed for this purpose (and rated for indoor, in-wall usage).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #10 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

not big enough to be particularly useful. Use the low-volt flex conduit designed for this purpose (and rated for indoor, in-wall usage).

Jeff

Poly pipe goes up to 2" but yeah your idea is probably better.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #11 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Poly pipe goes up to 2" but yeah your idea is probably better.

You're right, the corrugated stuff does (I thought you were talking about the 1/2" so-called-flexible sprinkler pipe), which is essentially what the flex-conduit is. So we're in agreement, but I would still recommend using the smurf tube or similar product just so it doesn't scare an inspector (even though it's probably all PVC and essentially the same stuff).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #12 of 12 Old 02-01-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 52
You should have TWO RG-6. That way you could have DirecTV and basic cable/ cable internet, or OTA and one pay service, etc. Only have one is really limiting.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page