Netflix starts and stops - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sometimes Netflix is fine, we can watch a movie all the way through, with no interruptions.

But, mostly, it starts and stops every few minutes, sometimes stopping for 5 minutes at a time. The picture just freezes, and then we get little arrow going in a circle and the connection speed is shown, usually below 2 mb/sec. My wife wants to cancel our Netflix subscription.

Our computer seems to be fine, and after eliminating some splitters, my cableTV(to the cable box) is fine.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this issue. Here is my setup:

Cox cable coax to a splitter, then to my cable modem. Then Cat 6 to a router and more Cat 6 on to the Blu-Ray player. From there, HDMI to the home theater system, and HDMI to the HDTV.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Buck Wilmerding
San Diego
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Run an Internet speed test (speedtest.net) on your PC to see what your Internet connection is like...

If you have any other device that can stream Netflix, I'd try that to see if you get similar results, too. But if the app is showing a slow connection speed, that sounds like your problem. Unlikely it's a problem in your in-house wiring.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff,

I tried 4 different "Internet Speed Testers" here at work and got dramatically different results: From 3.30/0.50 mb/s (download/upload) to 68.34/14.62 mb/s.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for, except maybe the difference between when Netflix is working and when it is not.

Thanks again.
Buck
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Use the same test program (the speedtest.net one is well-regarded) at different times of the day so you can see what's going on. If that's really the kind of variance you're getting in speeds, there's something not right.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My father in law had similar problems when streaming anything. It turned out to be the modem, if you are renting the modem ask for a new one if other devices can't stream. When I switched from wireless g to n I bought an all in one modem/router and now I run 4 netflix equipped boxes with no problems, in addition to using internet. Three are wireless and the Blu Ray player in my listening room is wired. If your modem is the bottleneck you'll have all kinds of hiccups and buff ........ering
Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Try speedtest.net at home, and not at work. The problem is home.

Your agreement with Cox says you should get a certain download speed. If you're not getting what you're paying for, call Cox. Let them fix it, on their dime.

After several back and fourths with Comcast, a couple years ago, I ended up buying my own modem. No issues since.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Neurorad,

I guess my point about the testing at work is that the various testers gave dramatically different results, from the same computer, and within just a couple of minutes of each other. I wonder how Cox would measure the speed? Do they use SpeedTest.net?

Anyway, we did try it at home, using only SpeedTest.net. We got about the same results when Netflix was working as we did when it was not working.

Thanks.
Buck
Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I think I will try that next. Right now it is a cable modem back-to-back with a router. An all-in-one makes a lot more sense, and it'll make for less clutter on the desk. We did notice(only once) that power-cycling the router cleared up the problem.

Any suggestions on make and model?

Thanks again.
Buck
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM

Try the COX speed tests too, login to your account at cox.net and go to the Internet selection next to My Account & Services on the right.

Then under account management go down to internet speed check and run internet speed check

or

After you are logged into your cox account go here https://myaccount.cox.net/internettools/speedcheck/speedcheck.cox

We usually have problems with our COX internet connection speed during the evening, that is when most people in the nieghborhood are home and using their internet. Unfortunately this is the problem when the severly oversell your area and don't split the node when it's overloaded. COX won't do anything unless a large number of people in the area complain, but most people aren't tech savvy enough to know they are not getting anywhere near the speed they are paying for. We pay for 18Mbps and right now in the evening we are getting 3Mbps, during the day we get our 18Mbps. Even with that 3Mbps speed nextflix works fine on our smarttv, but you can see the quality degrade when the connection slows down even more.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Casey,

Thanks for the tip! Gotta work the next two nights, but I'll try it on Thursday eve.

Haven't bought the all-in-one yet. I was looking on the Cisco/Linksys site, because we use a ton of it at work, but it is really hard to make heads or tails of their offerings. I have a NetGear router now, so I think I'll look there, next.

Buck
Old 01-30-2014, 09:11 AM

I had the same problem, except all the other streaming channels worked fine. It was the Roku streaming box. I bought a new Roku 1 from Best Buy and everything is fine now.

Get a new streaming box.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 AM

Buck,
I had the same issue for the past two weeks. After a lot of modem/router resetting, the Netflix rep had me call Sony (we been using a Sony Blu-Ray for the past 4 years to stream the content). They mentioned that it is a good idea to perform a "factory reset" every year or so. I called Sony, and their tech guided me through the menu to do it. After the 10 minute call, the issue seems to be solved. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure after a year that Buck has probably figured out a solution...

Go Ravens! biggrin.gif

Old 01-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Wow! is it 2014 already? LOL
Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 AM

Google is timeless, as are the streaming problems. This thread was #3 in my search.

To all with a Netflix streaming problem, like stops and starts or reloads, it is most likely a Roku (or whatever) hardware problem. Buy a new unit to check it out. You can always return it, if it isn't the streaming problem.

If it doesn't solve the Netflix streaming problem, turn off the t.v. and go to the gym, play with the kids or walk the dog. Talk to the wife, even.

egnlsn likes this.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Or buy a new router, the all in one units are seldom the best solution to anything but the most basic setups.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I restarted my subscription to Netflix a few months ago and was constantly watching it buffer. Bought a Roku so I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of going through my bluray player (I wanted to stream other stuff as well as Netflix), and no more buffering.

CIAO!

Ed N.