Help with my structured wiring closet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've researched quite a bit and have found this forum very helpful. However, I just can't wrap my brain around my situation. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance for any misuse of the proper terminology. I've included a picture of my current structured wiring setup. In each of the rooms of my house are a telephone line (over cat 5e), a coax line and disconnected cat5e line. My goal is to connect the extra cat5e lines for a wired network with 8 terminations. It appears that I have no data module at the current time. So I need that, right? Suggestions, Then, I how do I go about setting up the network? Currently the modem and router are in an upstairs room where the main computer is. Can/should I move them to the structured wiring closet? Another question: any idea what the coax line into the 3-way splitter that has nothing going out is for? It just bothers me to think my home a/v distribution has got such untapped potential. Makes me want to do something about it. Thanks again for any help and suggestions you all can give.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
I just went through that search. I found all the toys I needed here:

http://discounthomeautomation.com

Most of the useful stuff is made by Channel Vision and OpenHouse.

Good luck.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Look at the label on your box first - see who the manufacturer is - the structured wiring modules are not standardized, so you'll want to buy the modules to match the brand...

At least for the passive patch panel components. Networking parts (switches, etc.) are another story - anyone's components can be easily installed and secured with velcro or other fasteners to the back of the box - no need to pay for proprietary modules there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Oops. Jautor's right.

I glanced too quickly and (probably mistakenly) thought the enclosure was an OpenHouse one.

Houston Aeros Rule.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies. The manufacturer is Pass & Seymour legrand. Can anyone tell me what the extra coax wires near the bottom might be? I've checked all the wall plates and each is accounted for on the 8 port coax splitter? Any ideas about that 3 port splitter?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM

Lazy cable tech. Didn't remove it. Per the removed one lying in the bottom, I would surmise that initially, not all lines were active, and/or there were signal issues. Band-aid fix is the amp in your enclosure. Don't see a 2-way anywhere for split to feed modem, perhaps there is another splitter in the house box? When you punchdown your data cables, or terminate (which is not recommended unless you have a tester{they are relatively inexpensive}) pull a wall outlet and determine which pattern was used, A or B. It doesn't matter which is used as long as both ends are the same.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-26-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

So, should I remove the amp and start over with a different coax component as well as adding the network switch?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-26-2013, 06:12 PM

I'll digress. Did you install the amp or cable company? Is your cable modem before or after the amp? Amps may be used to offset splitter loss. IE; lots of outlets to be active always, and starting off with good signal levels. What are your modem levels? 192.168.100.1 If there are 2 data lines in the present modem/router location, yes, you can add a switch to make additional outlets active. Modem>Router>Switch
post #9 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 AM

Liked: 11
I am going to go against the grain a bit here, but I have done two houses with structured closets, and I think they are crap.

I would highly recommend mounting plywood (the nice kind! on brackets or hinges and using the wiring cabinet as a receptacle for the extra wire. Drill 2-3 clean 2" holes for the wire to penetrate.

Mount a nice patch panel to the top of the plywood and terminate every Cat5 wire to it, even the phone ones and the inbound service lines. Label each keystone with the room and port number (also label the plates in each room)

Get a phone module that uses RJ45 connectors, not punch-down, and mount it below and to the side. Punch down the service connection only.

Get a Gigabit switch and mount it similarly, then mount your modem and router on the plywood and buy a handful of 1' white patch cables.

Connect the service to the modem, the modem to the router, and the router to the switch.

Once this is in place, you will marvel how easy it is to set up and maintain your network! Want phone in the Living Room, run a patch from the phone network to the appropriate jack on the panel. Want Internet too? Run a cable from the switch to that port. For me, I have only three live phone ports in the house - my kitchen wall phone, my office and my bedroom. The other phones are wireless and just need charging bases. May as well free up the Cat5 for something else.

Even better, you may find that you want a wireless head in a room. So forget about the phone and connect both ports to the switch. Then you get two live ports in that room, one for your computer, one for your wireless A/P.

And, more importantly, you will have saved yourself plenty by not buying poorly-built, expensive "modules" that are harder to keep tidy and comprehensible.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page