one receiver two sets of 5.1 speaker distribution help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need help distributing 5.1 audio from 1 receiver to 2 different sets of 5.1 speakers systems on two different floors. I need the audio to play on only 1 floor at a time.
On the one floor there's a 50 inch LCD TV and 5.1 speaker system.
On the other floor there is an Epson projector and a different set of 5.1 speakers. The receiver, Xbox, DVD player, and cable box are located in the equipment closet in the basement. All of the equipment is controlled through an infrared blaster from either floor, but I can't find the right switch or equipment to let me use only 1 set of 5.1 speakers at a time. I use zone A from the receiver for 5.1 speakers and zone B for stereo outside speakers. I need some way to externally switch the speakers from one floor to the other. We watch TV, Xbox on one floor, but watch movies on the projector on the other. Previously I had duplicate sets of receivers, cable boxes...etc on each floor. I want to consolidate to one system. I can't find anybody who sells a simple A/B switch to switch the 5.1 speaker systems.
All of the switches I find are for 2 in 1 out, or 1 in multiple stereo out. Any help or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Just put a 2nd, inexpensive AVR in that stack to run the 2nd room. Split the HDMI signal at the sources (probably just the cable box and the BD player). This will be easier to use and allow for both systems to be used at the same time.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 17 Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff, thanks for the suggestion. I was doing just that until it became a PITA changing the inputs around.

I only listed a few of the inputs.
I have the two AVR's, but only one each of the Xbox, Blu-Ray, Cablebox, HT Computer, Satetite Radio, IPad.
All of which connect to their respective inputs on the AVR. It's not just video. I should have been clearer...sorry.
Most of the time, we use the downstairs, but when friends come over we use the bigger space and watch/play/listen upstairs.
The kids just got me started on Halo 4. I mean... HALO 4 life size is awesome biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Whatever they want to use, audio or video has to be disconnected and then re-connected to the AVR for that floor.
Sometimes, it's just not conveinient. It would be great to just flip a switch to change speaker output.
I already have the speaker wires down to the equipment room.

I found this device:

Coleman A/B switcher, but it's almost $500 Although it's exactly what I need. If I coud find a $200 version rolleyes.gif I'd be all set.

abswitch_zpsd4ae2ca9.jpg
post #4 of 17 Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I couldn't get much help from places that I asked about this (thanks Jeff).
After a month of searching here and elsewhere, the only answer given was to spend $500 bucks for the Coleman switch.
So, I had to resort to good old Yankee ingenuity.
I went and bought 8 DPDT switches from Radio Shack and mounted them to a plate. ($40 in parts vs $500 switch .. no brainer)
6 switches for the 5.1 speakers, and while I was at it, 2 switches for zone B that I can now pipe stereo sound to the yard and garage.
Voila'... not high tech, but it works great.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 AM

I know this is all late, but I was trying to do the exact same thing you did here. Two sets of 5.1 speakers from same receiver. Do you have diagram on how did you set up all those speakers with the DPDT switches? Would be really helpful. Thank you!

-Ren
post #6 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I take it both rooms, furnishings, layout etc. are identical otherwise how to you configure the AVR settings – Optimise for System A, Optimise for System B or just forget about Optimising for A or B biggrin.gif

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #7 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

I take it both rooms, furnishings, layout etc. are identical otherwise how to you configure the AVR settings – Optimise for System A, Optimise for System B or just forget about Optimising for A or B biggrin.gif

Joe

Mine are basically the same, so this solution would work for me. Just need to figure out wiring set up for the dpdt switches.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Wow, I would have just gotten a few new sources for the other system. Cablebox is free and blu-ray players are sooo cheap now. And get some HDMI splitters (or whatever video/audio signal) for the rest.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 PM

I am getting ready to do this also. Any help would be appreciated because I am a newbie to home theater. I am looking for one receiver with enough HDMI ins and outs to run in the house - Bluray, Xbox, Cablebox (all by HDMI) with 5.1. I also would like the same receiver to run a second zone outside with same devices but also have a projector for outside in 5.1. I know they are usually just audio l/r on zone 2, but wasn't sure if there is a receiver that makes this easier. Thanks
post #10 of 17 Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the late replys. I don't get out much biggrin.gif

ltinride - I sent you a wiring diagram after you contacted me. Did you get it?

Joe- both rooms are basically the same, just two floors apart.

ifor - the whole purpose was to get rid of the closet clutter and heat. The projector on the other floor is already hooked up by HDMI to the receicer.
There was no need to have a second $1000 receiver set up, cablebox, x-box, blu-ray. etc for the 2 or 3 days a month I use the TV.

Just the wife not b__ching about which remote works what was worth it. smile.gif

dnewman - it's not that hard, but in your case the length or your outside 5.1 speakers and HDMI cable to the receiver might be an issue.

I should put up a photo of the switch box shouldn't I.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-26-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
 I went and bought 8 DPDT switches from Radio Shack and mounted them to a plate. ($40 in parts vs $500 switch .. no brainer)
6 switches for the 5.1 speakers, and while I was at it, 2 switches for zone B that I can now pipe stereo sound to the yard and garage.
Voila'... not high tech, but it works great.

I'm curious as to why you bought the DPDT switches instead of the DPST switches since you said you used 6 of them for the 5.1? I really like to see your diagram now as I can build the same thing using 3 DPDT switches if I only wanted to use one set of 5.1 at a time. 

I built one myself even though I have 2 receivers. the simplicity of having less remote controls or less equipment  to control is definitely worth it.

so far I have connected two 5.1 systems in the house. I have full BlueTooth/WiFi control with a remote app that I can use with any iPod Touch, Android, or iPhone device thanks to my 7.2 Onkyo 626 receiver. Everything is hooked up to the receiver: PS3, Apple TV, Blueray, and I still have room for more in the future. Great feature on this receiver is the dual HDMI / SUB pre out.

then I have a IR repeater that controls all my equipment in a closet along with the unfindable magic speaker splitter box I built.

only difference is mine has 6 DPST switches and I am able to hear all my speakers in both rooms at the same time if I choose to. yes both 5.1 system sound good when any combination (A/B/AB) is on. 

Anyways, if you or anyone decides to buy a new receiver in the future, please make sure to get one with the extra features that you will use or need. great extras are:

1) Dual HDMI out (this will let you control another TV) you can do the same thing with a HDMI splitter, but I like the fact the receiver has it already built in.   

2) The remote app feature. this is a must in my opinion. (Lets you control your receiver with any smart device via WIFI/Bluetooth)

3) HDMI inputs (5 or minimun) 

The rest of the features are individual preference in my opinion. 

These systems are not that expensive now a days, so don't go out and spend $1000 to get the same result with way less.

Good Luck.

post #12 of 17 Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

The only reason I used DPDT switches, is because that was all Radio Shack had at the time.
Other than having a center off position, it works the same as a DPST switch.
Just Google DPDT switch diagram to see it. (can't find the pic of my wiring, and there are many better pictures on Google)
The center post gets the input; output from speakers from each floor goes to one side of each switch.

Having two HDMI outputs on the receiver would be great. They weren't available when I started this.
I'm using a HDMI switch to select which floor get the signal.
All total, maybe $60 for DPDT switches and HDMI switch... much cheaper for me than a new Receiver.

I'm curious as to how you can wire 12 speakers with 3 switches? Care to elaborate.
I have FL,FR,RR,RL,C,and Sub for each floor. One switch per speaker.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-28-2014, 05:50 PM

Sorry for the sloppy drawing, but hope this helps you understand what I was saying. 

post #14 of 17 Old 05-29-2014, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

I see what you are saying.
We do use all six speakers in each room when we are selecting that room.
One room is the living room for everyday movies and TV.
The other room is the theater room with the projector for when we have people over or want to watch Blu-ray stuff.
The "B" speaker output on my receiver is used for the outside speaker system.
I missed the part before about dual sub outs, I could have eliminated a switch there.
Thanks for the diagram.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-29-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancho View Post

I need help distributing 5.1 audio from 1 receiver to 2 different sets of 5.1 speakers systems on two different floors. I need the audio to play on only 1 floor at a time.
On the one floor there's a 50 inch LCD TV and 5.1 speaker system.
On the other floor there is an Epson projector and a different set of 5.1 speakers. The receiver, Xbox, DVD player, and cable box are located in the equipment closet in the basement. All of the equipment is controlled through an infrared blaster from either floor, but I can't find the right switch or equipment to let me use only 1 set of 5.1 speakers at a time. I use zone A from the receiver for 5.1 speakers and zone B for stereo outside speakers. I need some way to externally switch the speakers from one floor to the other. We watch TV, Xbox on one floor, but watch movies on the projector on the other. Previously I had duplicate sets of receivers, cable boxes...etc on each floor. I want to consolidate to one system. I can't find anybody who sells a simple A/B switch to switch the 5.1 speaker systems.
All of the switches I find are for 2 in 1 out, or 1 in multiple stereo out. Any help or suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-E200-Channel-Through-Receiver/dp/B00B7X2OW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401371039&sr=8-1&keywords=avr

You need a second AVR.  That above would be a cheap $159 switch and then one of these for each HDMI source

http://www.amazon.com/HD-102-Powered-Splitter-Certified-Support/dp/B005HXFARS/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401371375&sr=1-4&keywords=hdmi+1+in+to+2+out+splitter

And these for any analog source

http://www.amazon.com/Cblwhl-Female-Piggyback-Audio-Cable/dp/B000I94FAE/ref=sr_1_40?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401371532&sr=1-40&keywords=RCA+stereo+splitter+cable

post #16 of 17 Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Wow, I would have just gotten a few new sources for the other system. Cablebox is free and blu-ray players are sooo cheap now. And get some HDMI splitters (or whatever video/audio signal) for the rest.

Where do you get these free cable boxes?

post #17 of 17 Old 05-29-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

SMHarman - I solved this quite a while ago with the switches. I was just responding as to why I used DPDT switches.

The whole purpose was to eliminate the duplicate AVR system and remotes I have and control everything from one spot, the electronics closet.

Thanks though.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page