Looking for an in-wall iphone 5 (lighting connector) dock. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
brusselburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for an in-wall iphone 5 (lighting connector) dock. Anyone know who sells these. I have found the Iphone 4 ones but I need ones that accept the new lighting connector.

Thanks in advance.
brusselburg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I can't even find a basic free-standing dock with lightning yet... I don't think any of them exist yet.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Some power extenders just accept the USB connector - the other end (lightning or 30 pin) doesn't matter, I don't think.

https://www.vidabox.com/products_vcharger_poe-like_cat5_usb_charger.php



Call VidaBox. They make some nice on-wall mounts.

Edit - and, I see they advertise for use with iPad4.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Neurorad is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Putting a dock for a specific device in-wall is a terrible idea. In a year or two, Apple will have something different, and you will have to rip your wall apart.
BiggAW is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Glimmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Or, if the current model does everything you need, just buy a couple more at clearance prices when the newer model comes out. That way you have spare units on hand for many years to come.

Not every application needs an upgrade every six months. I mean what will the next iPad do for a dedicated lighting controller?

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Glimmie is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The installed in-wall or on-wall iPad doesn't need to be replaced with every production cycle. It's for control. You replace it when you renovate. You buy a new iPad every year to carry around with you, to impress your friends and coworkers.

There is a huge advantage to permanent installation of a tablet, for control. It's always right where you left it.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Neurorad is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Putting a dock for a specific device in-wall is a terrible idea. In a year or two, Apple will have something different, and you will have to rip your wall apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Or, if the current model does everything you need, just buy a couple more at clearance prices when the newer model comes out. That way you have spare units on hand for many years to come.

Not every application needs an upgrade every six months. I mean what will the next iPad do for a dedicated lighting controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

The installed in-wall or on-wall iPad doesn't need to be replaced with every production cycle. It's for control. You replace it when you renovate. You buy a new iPad every year to carry around with you, to impress your friends and coworkers.

These are all valid points - the issue is with the software and the ecosystem around these products. You may be forced to upgrade after a few years (much shorter than when we'd expect to replace in-wall screens otherwise). For example, your control app may have to be upgraded to support the latest OS, and if that's not supported on the discontinued device, you'll be forced to make a choice.
Quote:
There is a huge advantage to permanent installation of a tablet, for control. It's always right where you left it.

Absolutely - my advice when putting iPads (or whatever brand) into an in-wall dock is to be very selective where you do it. Choose docks that require the least amount of cut-out, and try to ensure there's a few inches of space around it (inside and outside the wall) so that a future replacement dock could fill that space easily...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I haven't seen that happen yet, Jeff. Nuvo MPS4 app still working great, 3 iPads later, on iPad 1 and iPad 4. But that's a great point, it COULD be an issue, theoretically.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Neurorad is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Glimmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post



These are all valid points - the issue is with the software and the ecosystem around these products. You may be forced to upgrade after a few years (much shorter than when we'd expect to replace in-wall screens otherwise). For example, your control app may have to be upgraded to support the latest OS, and if that's not supported on the discontinued device, you'll be forced to make a choice.
...

But why is that a problem? If your current control software does everything you want why upgrade it? And if you don't upgrade it the OS is fine as well. Just make sure you have backup copies and spare hardware.

I have never understood the mentality of upgrading a computer, OS, or application just because there's a new version out which offers nothing you need. This is how a lot of people get into trouble. If the old version works in a dedicated application like this just leave it alone.

Software does not age. If I load up an old MS DOS program, it's as good as the day it was released. And provided I have a copy of DOS, and a computer that can run it, it will do just fine.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Glimmie is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 48
What is the point of building something into a wall? Just use an app on your phone. Or get an old iPod Touch or OG iPad and leave it plugged in... That way you won't really get burned when the thing needs to be upgraded.
BiggAW is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

But why is that a problem? If your current control software does everything you want why upgrade it? And if you don't upgrade it the OS is fine as well. Just make sure you have backup copies and spare hardware.

I have never understood the mentality of upgrading a computer, OS, or application just because there's a new version out which offers nothing you need. This is how a lot of people get into trouble. If the old version works in a dedicated application like this just leave it alone.

We're in a different realm with the mobile devices and the "app store". Software gets upgraded, updates get pushed, support changes, etc. It's a lot more difficult to stay behind with the tried-and-true version if the ecosystem forces your hand (as a developer).
Quote:
Software does not age. If I load up an old MS DOS program, it's as good as the day it was released. And provided I have a copy of DOS, and a computer that can run it, it will do just fine.

If we were talking about one device, I completely agree. But we're not any more... If your app gets updated to a "better version that one works on better hardware" (even if for no other reason than the testing effort by the developer only goes back a gen or two), compatibility could break, they drop support, etc. They may get dragged, kicking and screaming, into the present... mad.gif

Now, a good developer can do a lot to prevent these issues, but the much-more-tightly-coupled nature of these "walled garden" ecosystems takes a LOT of that flexibility out of their hands. I'm not saying this WILL happen, but the chances are a lot higher.

But still, the more likely scenario is that the iPad 6 has some super cool feature that makes you want to upgrade that controller anyway. biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Newbie
 
trevcda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spoke with someone at iPort who said they were working on a new in-wall solution for iPhone 5 that would be out this year. I understand the lightning connector info was released about the same time as the iPhone 5 so no one but Apple got the jump on accessories.

For free standing Apple docking devices, there is an multi-pin to lightning connector adapter available at Apple stores and on-line. A little precarious and flimsy, but it works.
trevcda is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Sorry, I read Lightning connector and in-wall, thought iPad.

Foam tape or Velcro a tabletop dock to a small wall shelf, or glue a shelf to a single gang wall plate, replace when in-wall available.

I used industrial Velcro for a dock on my MBa vanity.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Neurorad is offline  
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off