What Else to think about? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, new build home, with a few items already installed. There is already cat6 running to every room (1outlet per room) and all of the wires come toa common area in the garage (they are not connected to anything yet). The living room will have a 5.1 system with all in ceiling speakers, and the master bedroom will have 2 stereo speaks and the outside patio will have 2 speakers. I believe the receiver will be a Denon 3313CI, though others will be considered. The idea is to run another hdmi to the master bedroom so i can stream 2.0 audio for movies. I ahve the following quetions.
Since the master bedroom is about 70 feet away from the receiver, what is the best way to do this, since hdmi should only be 50 feet or so?
Will the selected receiver allow 2.0 in the master bedroom, and outdoors, while allowing 5.1 in the living room? If not what receiver will? I would like an ipad to control everything, what are my options?
Do I need to think of anything else? For a basic syustem like I want it seems just a 3 zone receiver is needed. Are there any extra items I would need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Since the master bedroom is about 70 feet away from the receiver, what is the best way to do this, since hdmi should only be 50 feet or so?

You should send the signal over Cat cable. There are HDMI over Cat baluns that will get this done, but you might need two Cat runs.

Quote:
Will the selected receiver allow 2.0 in the master bedroom, and outdoors, while allowing 5.1 in the living room? If not what receiver will? I would like an ipad to control everything, what are my options?

Yes, looks like that AVR should get the job done. The Denons allow control via an app. If you want to incorporate control of your TVs, blu ray player, etc., you should look at iRule. The iRule app (along with a few pieces of hardware) will allow you to control all of the aforementioned via one app.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. What other things should I think about? Do I have it all set? Mostly, what I am looking to do is to stream media via DLNA from an attached NAS. a big question to me is, is running the hdmi to the bedroom worth it? I think the the only reason I would do this over just having another dvd player in the bedroom is to be able to take advantage of 2.0 speaker setup instead of just using the built in tv speakers. Is it even worth it, using the extra speakers, if it will not be 5.1? I have read the hdmi over cat5 can be a pain in the ass, is it even worth it?
post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Is it even worth it, using the extra speakers, if it will not be 5.1? I have read the hdmi over cat5 can be a pain in the ass, is it even worth it?

That's for you to decide. For me, I like the idea of using the speakers in my bedroom ceiling, so everything is centrally located in my AV closet.

And look into HDBaseT. It's the newer HD over Cat5e/6 standard. It has some big backers (Samsung and others) that are really pushing it. With HDBaseT, a single Cat5e/6 cable can carry your HD signal to the TV. Some TV manufacturers are even building this tech into their TVs so you can just plug the Cat cable directly into the TV.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Cool. I like the idea as well, but even moreso I really like the idea of storing the cable box in the den with the rest of the equipment, instead of having it in the bedroom. This seems pretty easy to do, hopefully when I finally contact the installer he will think it is a simple and easy install as well.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

That's for you to decide. For me, I like the idea of using the speakers in my bedroom ceiling, so everything is centrally located in my AV closet.

And look into HDBaseT. It's the newer HD over Cat5e/6 standard. It has some big backers (Samsung and others) that are really pushing it. With HDBaseT, a single Cat5e/6 cable can carry your HD signal to the TV. Some TV manufacturers are even building this tech into their TVs so you can just plug the Cat cable directly into the TV.

Do you know if any of these guys are going to actually distributing TCP/IP, as opposed to just using the cabling? Would love to have the signal travel over the network, not just via CAT6
post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by archbid View Post

Do you know if any of these guys are going to actually distributing TCP/IP, as opposed to just using the cabling? Would love to have the signal travel over the network, not just via CAT6

Nope, HDBaseT is a point-to-point solution, and its bitrate will exceed 1Gb, so wouldn't be compatible with the rest of your network infrastructure anyway.

But since HDBaseT can also carry a 100Mb Ethernet link, at least all the connectivity to a device can be done with one cable.

I asked the HDBaseT folks if they had done their homework so that a TV with "built-in HDBaseT" could auto-switch between a normal Ethernet connection and an HDBaseT one - such that the TV could have a single jack. They indicated that that was possible.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page