Advice needed! Multiroom system with no existing audio wiring (except coax), and blown-in insulation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What options do I have without totally breaking the bank? I'm willing to spend some money, but keeping it under $3000 would be ideal.

The house:

-1960's 2 story Cape, 1700 sq feet
-No existing audio wiring, the only "wiring" per-say is COAX (Verizon FIOS)
-House has blown-in insulation throughout all the walls (would this make running cable difficult?)

What I want:

-Multiroom system, common audio source (multi-source would be nice, but probably not affordable?) including outdoor patio sound
-5 rooms at minimum, 6 would be ideal
-Small speakers, in ceiling if possible but not required
-Wirelessly control music and volume, ie from smart phones or tablets (we have an ipad, iphone, android phone, and a surface)
-If not wirelessly, in-wall consoles would be nice

My biggest concern is wiring vs not wiring. Should I do wireless? If wireless what about static, or interference with other devices such as wireless internet etc.

If wired, is it even feasible to have it wired professionally? Or will this totally break the budget as I suspect?

I own a 5.1 home theater system which is still adequate, but the receiver is outdated and won't be enough. In addition to the wiring dilemma, I'll need to buy a new receiver and probably 6 (+1 for the outside) speakers for all the other rooms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
A set of Sonos Connect:Amp or Nuvo P100 / P200 units, one for each room, would avoid any wiring. They use WiFi, and will connect to any speakers. If you want in-wall or in-ceiling speakers, well, that's wiring that will need to be done.

5-6 rooms would be a bit above your budget as you'll need speakers (and those systems are ~$500/zone).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM

I would say depending on your ability to wire in speakers or desire to have something like bookshelf speakers in each room, you could go with some mix of Sonos options. Each room could have a play 5 or 3 in it depending on the size of the room. If you wire in ceiling or have bookshelf speakers a Connect Amp will work.

You could possibly source one of those play 5's as an outdoor speaker when you want to have music outside, as long as you have an outlet and are in range of the signal it works well. I currently use one of the play 5's as a roaming speaker. If you want to have more permanent dedicated outdoor speakers and you could use your existing receiver and a Sonos Connect with that to save a few dollars vs running it from the Connect Amp but still tie it in with everything else.

All of the Sonos equipment other than the play 3 gives you the option to add another source, so if someone brought an IPOD in or you have a CD player you wanted to mix in you can. As for the wireless worry, I have not had any issues with interference with my Sonos set up and that is in a townhouse with a lot of other wireless going on around me so I don't think it should be too much of a concern. You can add in a Sonos Bridges if you end up needing to extend coverage.

Play 3 $299
Play 5 $399
Connect $349
Connect Amp $499

Keep an eye out for some deals where you can get a free bridge with your purchase.

Should be able to do this pretty close to your budget and it would all be controlled by your existing devices.

Doug
post #4 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I looked at the SONOS options and I agree, this looks like the way to go.

So how well does one SONOS speaker fill a room? We have a living room that is probably 16 x 25, and then our bedroom is maybe 12 x 22.

1 speaker per room, or 2 to balance it out? We wouldn't be blasting it, just enough to get a balanced sound in the room.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuns2525 View Post

So how well does one SONOS speaker fill a room? We have a living room that is probably 16 x 25, and then our bedroom is maybe 12 x 22.

1 speaker per room, or 2 to balance it out? We wouldn't be blasting it, just enough to get a balanced sound in the room.

Well, all but the smallest of the Sonos solutions are stereo - how it will work in the room will depend a lot on the room itself and if and where you place external speakers. The self-contained Play units fit nicely on an end table or nightstand. For a living room I'd suggest a set of bookshelf speakers at least.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page