About to set up a full-home audio system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I am about to move into a new home, where I would like to have a home theater in one room, and then have some in-ceiling speakers spread out around the house in various rooms. I would really love any opinions!

This is what I have:

Onkyo RC370 Receiver (This is my primary receiver for surround home theater, and I'm only using 5.1, so I have another 2 channels available)
HK AVR745 Receiver (7.1 has 2 zones)
HK AVR7000 Receiver (5.1 has 2 zones)

The two HK units still have functional amps and sound great.

For speakers I have a wonderful Revel Concerta matching 5.1 setup for my home theater.
I also have a decent pair of bookshelf Infinity IL10s.

In my current home, I am controlling my sound via Airport Express and an Apple TV, and I really do like it.

My thought is this... I am thinking of just wiring the whole house with some small in-ceiling speakers and running all of the wires straight down into the basement with the receivers and all components.

I would want to add in-ceilings to the kitchen, dining room, and living room (all on the 1st floor) and wire into the bedroom and bathroom upstairs as well (2nd floor). I would likely like to run a few channels outside on the deck.

I THINK what I would want to do is to just get an additional airport express, so that all 3 receivers will be on a separate "apple zone".

Has anyone done anything like this? Any other suggestions for control? Anything I should avoid? I'm overly excited to get this going.

Thank you in advance.
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
You may want to consider locating the receivers near the room associated with the speakers it powers. Keep in mind you will have to power up the receiver each time you want to listen to audio in a specific zone. Unless you have a RF remote to power up the receivers. I currently use Airplay for 4 zones in my home.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hey - Thanks for the thoughts. The location I was thinking of in the basement would be right under where the TV would be mounted, but I think you're right in that there's really no advantage to keeping the receivers near one another. The main receiver (home theater one) is currently being controlled with my Harmony One, so that just turns on when I want to do something TV-related.

I was actually thinking of just letting the "rest of the house" receivers stay on all of the time. I do that now with one of my receivers, and it's been fine.

Do you experience any problems with Airplay? I occasionally get drop outs, but they're short lived.

Thanks
post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtonbrand View Post

Hey - Thanks for the thoughts. The location I was thinking of in the basement would be right under where the TV would be mounted, but I think you're right in that there's really no advantage to keeping the receivers near one another. The main receiver (home theater one) is currently being controlled with my Harmony One, so that just turns on when I want to do something TV-related.

I was actually thinking of just letting the "rest of the house" receivers stay on all of the time. I do that now with one of my receivers, and it's been fine.

Do you experience any problems with Airplay? I occasionally get drop outs, but they're short lived.

Thanks

We have 3 iPhones and an iPad as Airplay controls. I have a bit of a "dead zone" in one part of the house and the iOS devices drop the WiFi connection but I have never had a lapse in an audio track. My ceiling speakers run of the second zone of my Denon reciever, the main zone of the Denon powers 5.1 in my living room. So I turn on the Denon grab the remote and turn on the kitchen zone. Once it is powered up it's controlled with an iOS device.

You own 2 Apple Wifi devices now just add a few more and wire the house in a thoughtful way to access each of the amps (receivers). I call them amps b/c that is all you'll be using them for.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page