Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear All:

I have currently a balun which is highly temperamental for the media rack (living room) to bedroom HDMI over CAT 6A connection. The current HDMI over CAT 6A balun seems to want to be powered down and powered back up whenever the signal does not transmit to the Sony LCD TV (vintage 2010). To overcome that unpleasant task to pulling the rack out and unplugging the balun's power supply, wait 30 seconds, and plugging it back in, and moving the heavy rack back to its position, I tried the low cost yet effective solution of buying a 24-hour daily timer to have the balun go "off" at 3:59am, and come back "on" at 4:00am daily.

the first "fail", after roughly 2 weeks or so of working well, was yesterday.

my thought was to:

- buy a new balun (though i have no idea which brand is best for longer runs like over 100 feet), and ensure compatibility with the newer HDMI protocol, i.e. 3D, 4K, or whatever. the reason being that the receiving balun has to go behind the wall-mounted TV, which is, of course, a pain to remove and put back on the wall. so once the balun goes in, i'm hoping that it works trouble-free for a good long while.

- possibly update the TV from a 2010 Sony higher end LCD to a 2013 Panasonic ZT60 plasma, which is likely going to reap lots of favorable reviews as having Kuro-like performance. the ZT60 is expected out around April/May 2013, 2-3 more months from now. I'm uncertain as the current 2010 Sony LCD is actually rather nice, though slightly thick looking when hung on the wall.

Question:

which balun for longer distances is "best" please? (over 100 feet but not much over 100 feet) Hopefully, this is a balun that would have higher bandwidth so that it is compatible with the newer 3D/4K data loads.

kindly note that trouble-free is a key parameter, if at all possible.

i've tried researching this but it has not been easy.

the ones that i've found include these, though it is not easy to differentiate among them to identify which one is the "best" one and has a good bandwidth to accommodate current and future data streaming needs:

Monoprice Product ID 8123:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8123&seq=1&format=3#specification

The above Monoprice ID 8123 appear to be identical (OEM) as this one from Conversions Technolog CTHDMI-100EE:

http://www.conversionstechnology.com/Extend-HD-1080p-Multi-channel-Audio-Ethernet-IR-p/cthdmi-100ee.htm

May I kindly ask for advice please?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Yes, that Monoprice unit will be the best solution. It's based on the HDBaseT technology / chips, which is by far the best way to go for HDMI-over-cat5. The Monoprice is the cheapest HDBaseT solution that we know of.

If you don't need Ethernet switching (or you free up a category cable for Ethernet by moving to a one-cable HDMI solution) you can save $30-ish by getting the other HDBaseT unit from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page