Whole Home Rewire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the background just bought a home the previous owner(s) really screwed up the Coax in the house and I'm trying to think of distribution throughout the house. House is dual feed 1 Charter Line and 1 Direct TV. Looking to build a Rack for Cable/Sat/Cat6 Distro in each room and living space.

My problem I'm running into the the RG6 Cabling and Distro with low loss Trying to keep it to 1 splitter for the Cable 1 For the Sat each having its on 1u Section same with the Cat6. Just having a problem finding a 8 channel Coax Amp/Splitter. I have tried to use google and other searches but most the the stuff that somes up is top of the line whereas I am trying to rewire my house.

Any suggestions on where I could find any of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I don't think you're going to find anything in a rack-mount form factor for coax amplification - at least, not at a price point that wouldn't scare you away. The best residential products are the ChannelPlus "coax panels" and a few others, but those are meant to be wall-mounted - as is most gear like it. If you have a closet or unfinished basement space where this gear will all go, a small piece of plywood screwed to the wall is the best way to handle coax distribution. Paint the plywood if it's in a finished space...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 8 Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Some people just mount devices to a flat rack shelf, covered with a blank plate, even though they are designed for wall mount or in an enclosure. Or, mount the amp on the back of the rack, to 1-2 lacer bars. Or, like jautor has done, mount a device to the side of a rack or to the underside of another component; industrial Velcro or double sides foam tape are considerations.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 8 Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was going to do a 48" Structure media for the whole house phone, video, intercom, cat6, and surveillance, and was going to do a 14" SM just for the Satellite, because I know CATV runs 5-1ghz whereas sat runs 5-2.3ghz, The hardest part im running into I cannot find a 8 way splitter for 5-2.3(3)ghz just to run the RG6 for satillite because I know you cannot run Cable tv and Sat tv on the same RG6 Line.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus86 View Post

I was going to do a 48" Structure media for the whole house phone, video, intercom, cat6, and surveillance, and was going to do a 14" SM just for the Satellite, because I know CATV runs 5-1ghz whereas sat runs 5-2.3ghz,

Dividing the coax runs into two panels is a bad idea. You don't want to 'dedicate' half your wire to a one purpose - put all the coax together so you can use the runs for whatever service(s) are needed in that room.
Quote:
The hardest part im running into I cannot find a 8 way splitter for 5-2.3(3)ghz just to run the RG6 for satillite because I know you cannot run Cable tv and Sat tv on the same RG6 Line.

You can't run them together at the same time, but you only need to split the signal to the locations you're actually using.

More importantly, you can't use a splitter on a satellite dish feed anyway - you MUST use a Multiswitch specific to the satellite service/technology. However, if you're installing a new DirecTV setup, this requirement will likely be replaced by a Single-Wire-Multiswitch setup, with a single cable coming from the dish that can be split wtih your normal CATV splitters.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I don't think you're going to find anything in a rack-mount form factor for coax amplification - at least, not at a price point that wouldn't scare you away. The best residential products are the ChannelPlus "coax panels" and a few others, but those are meant to be wall-mounted - as is most gear like it. If you have a closet or unfinished basement space where this gear will all go, a small piece of plywood screwed to the wall is the best way to handle coax distribution. Paint the plywood if it's in a finished space...

Jeff

+1 on plywood. Racks are good for big equipment and patch panels. Plywood is good for the myriad small plastic devices.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus86 View Post

I was going to do a 48" Structure media for the whole house phone, video, intercom, cat6, and surveillance, and was going to do a 14" SM just for the Satellite, because I know CATV runs 5-1ghz whereas sat runs 5-2.3ghz, The hardest part im running into I cannot find a 8 way splitter for 5-2.3(3)ghz just to run the RG6 for satillite because I know you cannot run Cable tv and Sat tv on the same RG6 Line.

And really think about not doing the structured media cabinet. See comments here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454319/help-with-my-structured-wiring-closet#post_22925019
post #8 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Dividing the coax runs into two panels is a bad idea. You don't want to 'dedicate' half your wire to a one purpose - put all the coax together so you can use the runs for whatever service(s) are needed in that room.
You can't run them together at the same time, but you only need to split the signal to the locations you're actually using.

More importantly, you can't use a splitter on a satellite dish feed anyway - you MUST use a Multiswitch specific to the satellite service/technology. However, if you're installing a new DirecTV setup, this requirement will likely be replaced by a Single-Wire-Multiswitch setup, with a single cable coming from the dish that can be split wtih your normal CATV splitters.

Jeff

Unless you're running an ancient DirecTV setup, they use spliiters for SWiM/DECA, and they have their own series of splitters that goes up to 8-way. There is no point in going beyond that, as each leg of a SWiM 16 or SWiM 32 only supports 8 tuners, and if you need to add the broadband adapter, you have a DVR, so you're maxing out at 7 boxes with one for the adapter. You need splitters that are good to 2300mhz, which most are these days, but not all. Some are still 850 or 1000.

Exactly, home-run everything, and it will be all set.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page