terminate for LAN - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a wireless router. I have a hard wire connection to the main computer and it seems to operate faster than the secondary wireless devices.
Wireless works well to my OPPO and secondary computer used as a network.
I think I can speed things up by hard wiring to these items.

Running CAT5 from the router is no problem to them.
How do I terminate the connections with the phone jack looking thing at each end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ethernet termination
make sure it is the same on both ends

post #3 of 18 Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for the link.
So all pins need to be connected.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Are you running wire in the walls, or just across the room?

If you're putting it in the walls, get some solid-core cat5e wire, and terminate it using the keystone-style wall jacks, which will be easier than fitting RJ45 connectors. Then you just run pre-made patch cords from the wall jack to your device(s).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=keystone

Note that you can pick up lengths of cat5e wire and Leviton brand keystone components at Home Depot, which will come with a small plastic punch-down tool, which will be fine for doing a few of these. More than that, you'll want a real punch-down tool.

If you're just running long cables through the room, simply buy long, pre-made patch cables - much, much easier.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 18 Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Note that the criteria for a "correctly" terminated plug or jack are rather strict. It has to do with many things, such as how much untwisted pair you can have. Located and read the specs, if you haven't already.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #6 of 18 Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did not know I could get 50 feet plus of cable already terminated!
Sure that is easier for sure. No fuss no muss.

I think 50 feet would be about right. X2.

I am running from upstairs to downstairs through whatever means I can get the cable there, ducting, drilling a hole, whatever.
I like the thought of the keypads as an elegant solution and will look at H depot next time I go.

I am on the right track here thinking that a wired connection from the splitter/router will be faster and more reliable than wireless connections?
post #7 of 18 Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Jautor

Awesome theater! Really.
The colours a great.
Do you have a list of equipment as well?

I am surprised that you chose Martin Logan for theater duty.
Same for surrounds and Subwoofers ML?
post #8 of 18 Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

I did not know I could get 50 feet plus of cable already terminated!
Sure that is easier for sure. No fuss no muss.

I think 50 feet would be about right. X2.

I am running from upstairs to downstairs through whatever means I can get the cable there, ducting, drilling a hole, whatever.
I like the thought of the keypads as an elegant solution and will look at H depot next time I go.

I am on the right track here thinking that a wired connection from the splitter/router will be faster and more reliable than wireless connections?

Yes. If you're going to run cable through the walls (which is the right answer), make sure the wire is "in-wall rated". It will state it in the product description. Running cables inside ductwork will require "plenum-rated" cabling to be code-compliant. The difference between them is the properties of the insulation in case of a fire.

The keystone jack installation is the "correct" method to run Ethernet around the house...
Quote:

Hey Jautor Awesome theater! Really.
The colours a great. Do you have a list of equipment as well?

I am surprised that you chose Martin Logan for theater duty.
Same for surrounds and Subwoofers ML?

Thanks! See the first post in my build thread - there's a full equipment / color list there... The sub is an ML, the surround / rear channels are Definitive Tech.

I've always been an ML fan, and they make for great theater speakers with their wide dispersion. Why are you surprised? Because they're big and visible (as compared to behind-the-screen) or something else?

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #9 of 18 Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! See the first post in my build thread - there's a full equipment / color list there... The sub is an ML, the surround / rear channels are Definitive Tech.

I've always been an ML fan, and they make for great theater speakers with their wide dispersion. Why are you surprised? Because they're big and visible (as compared to behind-the-screen) or something else?

Jeff

Yes I found the equipment list. Interesting especially the pie charts which answered a lot of my nosy non of my business questions.

Something else for sure, ML products are not usually the first pick for a home theater.
I thought maybe you had those ML's for stereo listening and had the HT stuff hidden behind the walls or something.
But, they are a very open and incredible sounding speaker to be sure. Nothing else like theme except Quad. I would be suspect of the sound pressure levels obtainable with them though.
I might of course be all wet as i have not listened to ML's for a very long time.

A friend of mine has Quads with the additional subs, nice for music and incredibly detailed but.....

I will look for the ratings to run through duct work and look at the keypads next time I am at H Depot.
Thanks all.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I found the equipment list. Interesting especially the pie charts which answered a lot of my nosy non of my business questions.

I have more detailed versions if you're really nosy... biggrin.gif If you're calculating, use a 40-50% off MSRP for my speaker 'actuals'.
Quote:
Something else for sure, ML products are not usually the first pick for a home theater.
I thought maybe you had those ML's for stereo listening and had the HT stuff hidden behind the walls or something.

I've had ML's since the early 90's, and used them in my RPTV setup for a long time. My theater plan was to move the 'old' set into the theater and buy a new set for music in the living room (and also because the style / wood color didn't match the new house). I ended up getting a deal twice on Vantage pairs, so both the living room and theater got upgraded...

I'd certainly recommend the new Motion bookshelf-sized (Motion 4/6/8) line for entry-level 5.1 applications, I think they sound great, especially for the unobtrusive size.
Quote:
But, they are a very open and incredible sounding speaker to be sure. Nothing else like theme except Quad. I would be suspect of the sound pressure levels obtainable with them though.
I might of course be all wet as i have not listened to ML's for a very long time.

The hybrid designs (ESL panel with traditional cone woofer) dealt with that issue a long time ago. The panels may not reach the SPL limits of other designs, but that would be in the 'stupid loud' realm... Mine will more than fill the theater space and with only moderate, non-crazy-wattage amplification... But yes, that is one of the primary differences between the ML models as the panel size increases through the product line.

Jeff

post #11 of 18 Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

this is really off topic but I have been wondering about it some time. Maybe you can help?

I have a network enabled Av Processor the Marantz v-8003.
I have a desk top computer filled with my ripped CD's next to it.
An Ethernet cable connects the two unfortunately my processor does not support lossless audio through the network.

I can use a USB to Digital coaxial connection,(many on the market) to connect the desktop computer to the Marantz into an open digital input.

Great so far but how do i select tracks see jacket information etc?
I wouldn't mind getting a laptop for work and play.

Is there something I can do with a laptop to be able to control the desktop for track selection jacket information etc?
Taking that one step further can I use said laptop to replace my universal remote and control the entire system?

So download the codes for each device and configure on the laptop, then it has an IR out or something to control all components?
I am computer illiterate so it would have to be veeeerrrry easy to do.

Ideas?

I will post on the remote site as well you never know.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there something I can do with a laptop to be able to control the desktop for track selection jacket information etc?
Taking that one step further can I use said laptop to replace my universal remote and control the entire system?

Buy an Apple Airport Express and connect it to your AVR. Run iTunes on the laptop, select the AE using Airplay to send the audio to the receiver after it's decoded by iTunes. Or, if you're using FLAC, use MediaMonkey and AirFoil. The advantage of iTunes here is the Apple Remote app for iOS devices works great to remotely browse / control the music library stored on your computer...

(there's a MonkeyTunes remote for MediaMonkey)

Jeff

post #13 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Liked: 11
Wired is better than wireless. And it will remain so. I will believe otherwise when cable companies let their cables go dark and start investing in towers again...

Yes, you should run wire. I think that you should buy CAT6 cable, run it cleanly, and terminate it with Keystones. Having two patch cables in the run will not compromise your bandwidth in any meaningful way, and it is so easy. I would do two runs.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am going to purchase pre made cables from mono price thank you for the suggestion.
This might be a dumb question but, Can I run only one cable and then have like a junction box?
I have three components that require internet connection away from the router.
So instead of running three cables,(for now) to that area at least 50 feet a piece I thought why not run only one 50 footer.
Plug that into a junction box of some sort then run three 10 foot cords from that?
Possible?
post #15 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am going to purchase pre made cables from mono price thank you for the suggestion.
This might be a dumb question but, Can I run only one cable and then have like a junction box?

Junction box for Ethernet is called an "Ethernet switch". And yes, absolutely you can do that. Cheap 100Mb switches are ~$10, for a few dollars more, you can get a Gigabit-capable one that will be more useful in the future.

Cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-156-066&IsVirtualParent=1

Gigabit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127421

Jeff

post #16 of 18 Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Had a few of my friends call me crazy for wiring my home. That was a few years ago and I think they now see the light, wired is better. I do have a Netgear Wireless Router connected to an RJ-45 jack in the middle of my home. My son and Grand Kids use it for their laptops an I Things.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #17 of 18 Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info,
Quote:
you can get a Gigabit-capable one that will be more useful in the future.
Of course i did not even think that there would be levels of these things and yes the upgrade is probably worth the extra $20.00.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info,
Of course i did not even think that there would be levels of these things and yes the upgrade is probably worth the extra $20.00.

Actually only a $10 upgrade (over the $10 100Mb switch), which makes it even better. smile.gif

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page