Combine Two A/V Sources Into One Input (without a switch box) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm looking to combine 2 "Component" sources into 1 input on the back of my TV, and I would hate to be forced to buy a Selector-Switch Box just to do something so simple for only 2 devices. I know that using a standing Y-Cable will cause interference resulting in a dark or distorted image (even with only 1 source turned on) and that in order to fix this, there would need to be some kind of ohm resistance built into the splitter I think?

I've searched like crazy and all I can find is this- http://www.avsforum.com/t/1202569/combine-via-y-cables-two-rca-outputs-into-one-input-okay - and thus I cannot find one real answer or "Combiner Cable" that can do what I want to do.

Surely something exists that would allow what I want to do. Can anyone point me to a splitter cable that has some kind of ohm resistance built in to avoid interference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Are the sources really "component video"? Actually, in this case if you can run HDMI instead there are auto-switching solutions. 2 HDMI devices in, one output which will auto-select based on power-on/off or port prioritization... I bought one off Amazon for like $10 and while it was a bit flaky to setup (didn't like a particular input on a Samsung TV), after some trial-and-error it works solid.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Can anyone point me to a splitter cable that has some kind of ohm resistance built in to avoid interference?

No, they don't exist. Use a switch.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Are the sources really "component video"? Actually, in this case if you can run HDMI instead there are auto-switching solutions. 2 HDMI devices in, one output which will auto-select based on power-on/off or port prioritization... I bought one off Amazon for like $10 and while it was a bit flaky to setup (didn't like a particular input on a Samsung TV), after some trial-and-error it works solid.

Jeff

Yes it truly is component. The particular TV in question does only component or composite.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Monoprice has a great 4-input component video switch with IR control for <$20... It will even learn an IR code for another device, so you can make the switching work with most any remote...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 13 Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Monoprice has a great 4-input component video switch with IR control for <$20... It will even learn an IR code for another device, so you can make the switching work with most any remote...

After reading many reviews of alot of these kind of devices, almost all of them seem to degrade the picture quality. This seems to be the trend for the powered ones, unlike the non-powered ones. I wonder why they all seem to have this problem?
post #7 of 13 Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After reading many reviews of alot of these kind of devices, almost all of them seem to degrade the picture quality.

Not as much as your idea of paralleling two video sources.
Quote:
This seems to be the trend for the powered ones, unlike the non-powered ones. I wonder why they all seem to have this problem?

they don't
post #8 of 13 Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintygaming View Post

After reading many reviews of alot of these kind of devices, almost all of them seem to degrade the picture quality. This seems to be the trend for the powered ones, unlike the non-powered ones. I wonder why they all seem to have this problem?

I have one of these Monoprice units, never noticed any picture issues, nor would I expect one. Simple switches won't do anything to affect image quality.

Theater build photos:

post #9 of 13 Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

they don't

Yes they do, read the negative reviews on most of the powered ones and see for yourself. (amazon.com). Heck I had two powered one's 8 or so years ago and they distorted the picture quality, so I sent them back. Yet two other Sony models (non-powered) displayed the picture quality as-is. Unfortunately they are composite-s-video only.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintygaming View Post

Yes they do, read the negative reviews on most of the powered ones and see for yourself. (amazon.com). Heck I had two powered one's 8 or so years ago and they distorted the picture quality, so I sent them back. Yet two other Sony models (non-powered) displayed the picture quality as-is. Unfortunately they are composite-s-video only.

Oranges vs. kiwis, then.

Just get the Monoprice one like I did, then, which has 91% positive reviews... And you can always return it.

Theater build photos:

post #11 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Another vote for the Monoprice one. I've been using mine for 6 or 7 years. Along with my Harmony remote, you wouldn't even know it's there smile.gif

------

post #12 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes they do,

No, they don't. 'ALL' powered switchers do not have problems...users like you do.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Back in the day, a friend had a passive one for cable, PS3, and XBOX, and it was fine, no degradation. A good quality one should be fine.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page