Basement Family Room with AV Rack - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My wife and I have recently purchased a house that is wired for ethernet and partially wired for sound. We are currently working on the basement family room which is wired for 7.2 surround sound. We will probably only be using a 5.1 setup in this family room. We have currently purchased:

TV:
Sony 60-inch, KDL60EX645
A/V Receiver:
Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Speakers:
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Sub:
Pioneer SW-8MK2

The plan is to purchase the center speaker [Pioneer SP-C22] and two floor standing speakers [Pioneer SP-FS52-LR] in the future. I believe I will need banana plugs to connect the speakers to the existing wall plates. I'm wondering if someone can provide some guidance on what I would need for banana plugs? The manual for the speakers calls for 18-gauge speaker wire for runs of 25 feet or less. I was going to order 16-gauge to be safe.

There are some plugs in which my headphones fit into. I believe these wires are for IR repeaters. Can anyone confirm that they are IR repeaters? I'm also looking for suggestions of IR repeaters if my assumption of the wires are correct. I'm looking to control a DirectTV box, the Pioneer VSX-1122-K, and possibly a PS3 or HTPC.

One last question: If I had the PS3 in the A/V rack in another room with a door closed, would the controllers be able to connect? I always thought that bluetooth has a limit of 30ft and needs line of sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any old banana plugs and speaker wire should work. You'll need a short length to go from receiver to jacks in your equipment closet and then another set to go from the jacks in the family room to each speaker. If you want to use banana plugs on each end you'd need 28 of them. You can also just use bare wire though banana plugs make for a nice clean look and easy connection/disconnection as needed.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2789&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=9436&seq=1&format=2

Those do look like IR distrubution 3.5mm jacks. Depending on how you want to control everything there are a huge variety of options. Do you just want to use the original remotes for each device? Do you want a universal remote? Do you want to use an apple or android phone or tablet?

I have no trouble with my PS3 controllers working through walls. I have my PS3 in my basement mechanical room. It is distributed to 4 TVs, Kitchen directly above, theater through drywall, Living room through cinder block and a floor about 35ft, and family room up a half flight of steps and about 50ft total. The controllers work in all locations and I haven't noticed any lag or drops.

You have a nice clean set up there and it seems like everything is there that you would need.

Check out some some of the threads in the remote section of this forum for your control options.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #3 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I didn't end know that it was possible to use mobile devices to control my devices. I'm interested in using iRule or DemoPad for controlling my devices.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

I'm a longtime iRule user myself.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Are you using iRule Pro? If so, what made you upgrade from free to Pro?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Being an early adopter I got a free upgrade to pro. I use the extra handsets to put differnt irule layouts on my various devices, kindle fire, iPod touch, android phones. I also use feedback on my dtv pages for currently tuned channel info and a favorite channel page that shows what is on each channel.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page