Will this basic setup for 3 pairs of speakers work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello-
I've searched the forums for an answer to this question, and I'm still a little unsure, so I wanted to double check and make sure before I blow a speaker (or catch my house on fire!).

After the dishwasher flooded our house, we gutted it and I thought now is the time to install an audio system.

I would like audio from a single source in 3 areas: the den, the deck, and the porch under the deck (the "porch"). Each area will have 2 speakers, and I'd like to have independent volume control for each. Eventually we're going to expand the den, and we'll have 4 speakers in that area.

I was wondering if this setup will work, and whether it will accommodate the future addition of 2 speakers in the den:

An airport express and a line in from a CD player will be connected to this amp:
AudioSource AMP-100 Stereo Power Amplifier

From there, it will go to 1 impedance volume control unit in the den and 2 impedance volume control units on the deck and porch.

The volume controls will then go to these speakers:
den: Monoprice 6-1/2 Inches Kevlar 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair) - 60W Nominal, 120W Max.. As noted above, eventually there will be a second pair of these speakers in the den, for 4 speakers total in this area.

deck and porch: Monoprice 3-1/4 Inches 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers (Pair) - 30W Nominal, 60W Max

Are these components appropriately matched? I generally understand electronics, circuitry, ohms, watts, etc. But when it comes to audio, all of that (limited) knowledge melts away.

I would appreciate any assistance with this.

If the components aren't matched, can you make a recommendation on what I need to do? I'd really like to keep this setup on the budget (<$500 total). I'm really just interested in background music and do not care about concert-quality audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
As long as you mean to run the three volume controls in parallel, yes, this will work fine. If you don't already have the Airport and the amp, you might consider a Sonos Connect:Amp, which would get you a full solution. The AE works great, but you need to feed it some source - iTunes via Apple Remote app, or AirPlay from an iOS device.

Also, as you're running wires anyway, run a cat5e wire in parallel with your speaker wires from your home-run location to the volume control boxes. That will set you up for any future system as well as the simple one you're currently installing. You definitely don't want a reason to open those walls up again later!!!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I do plan on running the speakers in parallel.

I do already have an airport express, but I don't have the amp yet. I've looked at Sonos, and I know it gets great reviews, but it is just too pricey for me right now to justify.

And I will be sure to run the cat5e. That's a good idea. I've already run about 15 drops elsewhere, so it won't be a problem.

2 follow up questions:
1) would I connect the den to zone A and the deck and porch to zone B, or just connect everything to zone A? Would I bridge it if connecting to Zone A?

2) Does the wattage difference between the 3 volume controls and the 3 sets of speakers matter? The VCs are 50 watts RMS, while the ceiling speakers are 60W Nominal, 120W Max. and the outdoor speakers are 30W Nominal, 60W Max. The speakers do have the same ohms rating (8 ohms).
post #4 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg123 View Post

I do already have an airport express, but I don't have the amp yet. I've looked at Sonos, and I know it gets great reviews, but it is just too pricey for me right now to justify.

If you've already got the AE and have it working for you already, then you're set at least for now! The AudioSource AMP-100 is a great piece. You can always add a Sonos Connect later if you desire...
Quote:
1) would I connect the den to zone A and the deck and porch to zone B, or just connect everything to zone A? Would I bridge it if connecting to Zone A?

You wouldn't bridge, and those A+B speaker connectors are just for convenience. If you want to select the speakers at the amp, use the A+B, otherwise, it doesn't matter.
Quote:
2) Does the wattage difference between the 3 volume controls and the 3 sets of speakers matter? The VCs are 50 watts RMS, while the ceiling speakers are 60W Nominal, 120W Max. and the outdoor speakers are 30W Nominal, 60W Max. The speakers do have the same ohms rating (8 ohms).

Wattage ratings on volume controls and speakers refer to the input power coming from the amp. All of those are within range of what the AMP-100 could output. You're good to go.

Note that if you later add another pair of speakers in your den, how you adjust the impedance-matching will depend on where you wired them. You'll likely just change the setting on the volume control in the den - but I'd also suggest that you run an "extra" home-run from that volume control back to the amp (don't use it now) for maximum flexibility in the future. It's a minor thing, though...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Great! Thank you for all of the help.

BTW, I looked through your home theater renovation, and it looks fantastic. The setup I'm asking about is at a vacation house, so I'm trying to keep it cheap and simple. But one day, I'd love to have a setup like yours in my house.

Thanks again!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page