Simple Bathroom Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of redoing a bathroom and would like to add some audio integration. Ideally I'd like to have a receiver/tuner in a closet, with one or 2 speakers in the ceiling, and an in-wall controller that would allow me to turn on the receiver/tuner, control the volume and change the channel. A nice to have would be ipod integration but not a must have. One other thing I'd prefer a wired solution to a wireless one. What is the simplest way I could achieve this? So far the only way I have found to do it, would be to use a multi-room controller/amplifier and a compatible wall controller. That seems to be over kill for what I am trying to achieve because I only need it to work in one room.

matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Ideally I'd like to have a receiver/tuner in a closet, with one or 2 speakers in the ceiling, and an in-wall controller that would allow me to turn on the receiver/tuner, control the volume and change the channel.

Overkill for a 1 room system. That's why you're not going to find anything that easily accomplishes this task. My suggesion: get a Sonos Connect Amp. It communicates wirelessly with your sources (NAS, Pandora, etc.) via your router and the speakers plug into it. It has a great smartphone app that controls the whole system. And, it's very easy to add on should you want to expand later.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM

One option would be a Sonos Conenct Amp controlled by a smart device. This would get you streaming services, radio stations and your own music collection. It can be wired if you have a network connection available in the closet where it will be sitting. You would not have dedicated wall control pad with this solution though, unless you wanted to mount an ipod touch on the wall.

- Gramin beat me to it...what he said!!
post #4 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, seems every path I take leads me to sonos. I had stayed away from it because I would prefer a dedicated in wall control pad, but I think it is probably time to take another look.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I had stayed away from it because I would prefer a dedicated in wall control pad, but I think it is probably time to take another look.

You're not finding this because there's no market for it. Why spend all that time and energy to wire only 1 room for sound? That's why we have iPod speakers and bluetooth speakers. If you really want a dedicated in-wall dock, get the Sonos Connect Amp and put an iPod in the wall. There are docks out there that are made for wall mounting an iPod. That will get it done. But again, overkill for a one zone system.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 PM

post #7 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, I hadn't thought to look for a unit that was entirely in the wall, once I started looking specifically for units like that I found a number similar to the one you linked, for example http://www.kbsound.com/ceiling-speaker/kbsound-premium.aspx. For what I'm looking for it seems that something like this would be the most cost effective.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 06:19 AM

That solution will work, but those are tiny speakers, and you lose the ability to create a fully integrated solution down the road. Great thing about Sonos is that all the units work alone and together. And they have a wider selection of music to choose from. You can stream from your NAS, iTunes and Pandora et al. Yes, you'll spend a bit more, but you'll get a much more robust solution.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page