The ole "sound with a HDMI matrix problem" (system block diagram attached) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Below is how I am tentatively intending to wire my new house. My issue is that I believe with this setup, I will only get 2 channel audio to everything.. even if I have only the living room TV watching a certain source (thanks to reading posts from people on here).

So my questions are
1) is there a work around for that, since I only have 1 TV i need 5.1 to.
2) Anybody have experience with a second switch after the Matrix? am I asking for trouble?
3) I know I could go component switching, but man.. that seems painful. And I assume since its analog I cant send it over CAT6.

Based on what I have read, I am probably in bad shape.. and either need to do it like the above and have a worthless home theater sound setup and wait for a new matrix' come out that handle this better

I could just by get rid of the matrix, and put every tv on a box. and then just manually run to the AV closet and hot swap the HTPC into whatever TV i want to watch it on. Then still split signal to the 2 TVs as needed in the diagram.

av diagram.png 91k .png file
Attached Images
File Type: png av diagram.png (90.6 KB, 52 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

WHat about a cheap sound bar on each TV? would that do it

... or..

a switch before the multiplexer on each source that would run to a 4x1 combiner type setup.. Then when the switch was flipped to the living room, the HDMI would no longer "see" the other TVs.

sounds like a PITA.

definitely interested in dialog.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Sorry, but that looks like a mess... You're splitting the output of each matrix output - you'd be better off splitting the output of the sources into two 4x4 matrix boxes.

If you only need 5.1 in the living room, do you need it from all the sources, or just the DVR? You could run a separate digital audio line from the DVR to the AVR in the living room, bypassing the matrix issue.

Are you running wire or is it already there?

And yes, you could run component video and avoid the HDMI problems, and yes, it works just fine over cat5e. I'm using several Aton HDR44 component matrix boxes - they do require 2 cat5e cables.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Jeff, dual 4x4s make sense. I would like 5.1 from at least the DVR and the HTPC but yes you are correct- I only need 5.1 in the living room. I have NOT run any cables (breaking ground in 3 weeks hopefully) so I can run the additional audio cables.

Would be nice if there was an HDMI matrix that will also matrix separate audio at the same time... let me rephrase that, I bet there is but it is $ wink.gif

So it sounds like I could do either a component matrix (need to figure out the downsides to that) or maybe run 2 separate audio cables to the TV from the AV closet, and just use a switch on those. maybe even have to run up stairs and manually do it (not as streamlined, but better than nothing.. i watch the DVR 80%+ of the time)

EDIT:
Checked out the Aton HDR44. Other than it being more pricey than the monoprice option, it looks like there are really no downsides to it. 2X CAT6 which is no problem.

And since the home will be run with CAT6, I could easily change to HDMI (or whatever) later on.

Also it looks like the HDR44 can be stacked for the 8 outputs I need later on down the road. Not sure I want to spend $2K (2X units). Might just split the signal as I was thinking in the first place to see how that pans out.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordonMusser View Post

Thanks for the input Jeff, dual 4x4s make sense. I would like 5.1 from at least the DVR and the HTPC but yes you are correct- I only need 5.1 in the living room. I have NOT run any cables (breaking ground in 3 weeks hopefully) so I can run the additional audio cables.

If this is new construction you need to be spending your time researching the pre-wiring and worry about equipment selection 7-9 months from now. Things will change between now and then. Getting the wiring correct is much more important - you only get once chance to pre-wire - after that, it will be much more expensive to do anything.
Quote:
Checked out the Aton HDR44. Other than it being more pricey than the monoprice option, it looks like there are really no downsides to it. 2X CAT6 which is no problem. And since the home will be run with CAT6, I could easily change to HDMI (or whatever) later on. Also it looks like the HDR44 can be stacked for the 8 outputs I need later on down the road. Not sure I want to spend $2K (2X units). Might just split the signal as I was thinking in the first place to see how that pans out.

How well that works out will depend on how many people you have in the household and what sources get used for what purposes. If anything, I'd suggest a 4x4 matrix for the main zone and perhaps just a single-source HDMI splitter to serve the rest, if your usage supports that. Tying two "random" zones together on the matrix will make things confusing for others. Can't tell you if that will be acceptable or not as it would be very specific to your situation...

Do note, though, that the $2k on the 8-zone Aton solution would also get you EVERYTHING for the system, including a full remote control repeating / routing solution...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

yep, I agree. I started a lowV wiring diagram, then that made me start thinking "what and where", and then "how". I am basically running CAT6 everywhere+Coax. I want to have a game plan, and if I was pulling the trigger today it looks like $2k is going to the 8zone Aton solution. in 7-8 months ill revisit, but at least I know I have a a plan of attack.

Thanks for the insight, hopefully this thread helps others too.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
How far from the AV Closet to the Living room?

I’d potentially shift the AVR into the AV Closet and run loudspeaker and a Sub cable out to the living room.

We recently added a ‘Broadcast’ IR port to our 4x8 HDMI over Twisted Pair Matrix – this allows us to control the Matrix, up-to four Sources (with Routed IR) plus an AVR.

Our 4x8 has eight discrete Zones – Zones A + B have mirrored HDMI + dual RJ45 outputs allowing a total of ten Displays connected to the Matrix.

Happy to work through details of your plans if I can be of further assistance.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20Ethernet%20matrix%20switch%204x8.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Old 02-15-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Not too far actually.. 40ft.

I thought about that, but I kind of like the idea of having the receiver in the room. let's me hook up a iphone, android phone, somebody ipod etc/whatever if I have a party. makes it pretty easy.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I would have thought it was simple enough to make the iOS/Android hookup 'in room' feeding back to the AVR as otherwise positioning the AVR in the 'party' room is going to be a bigger headache!

I have Sonos at home for multi-room music playback and can 'stream' music from my iPhone via Wi-Fi,or drop the iPhone into a Sonos dock - I'm sure there are lots of similar options where you are not using Sonos.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Perhaps you are right. I have never had an AV closet, so perhaps I am just nervous about the ACR being in there when at this point, I physically interface with it on occasion.