AVM-562 - Controlling AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello...

I am trying to finish out my A/V Distribution system and I have hit a wall (2 years in).

Here's what I have going on:

Distribution to 6 Zones (TV's) from 6 Sources.

Audio Authority AVM-562 as the Matrix (Component)

Everything is working fine with the exception of some IR interference issues that I am working through as they arise... but I can't figure this one thing out.

One of my zones is the Media Room that I have a 7.1 speaker layout and would like to power it via a Pioneer VSX-1021k. Now, the AVR is not a "source" since I don't have room for it (4 Tivo's, 1-BluRay and 1-Mede8er Media Player). I have it connected to the Main Out via component and back to the AVR to the DVD (since it's assigneable) component input on the receiver. All that said... how do I control the AVR? When I plug the Main IR out from the Matrix into the AVR IR-IN it locks out all of the other IR routing on the Matrix... I believe by design.

I am so frustrated knowing there is probably a solution sitting right there and I just am so overwhelmed 2 years in, that I can't see it...

Thanks for reading.

Thoughts? Solutions?

Kindly,

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Try an IR emitter from the Main IR out and affixed to the front of the AVR. IR-IN jacks aren't as compatible as we'd expect them to be... That jack could be expecting a different pinout and is likely just shorting the IR signal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

Through Curtis at AA, Duane tells me that when the main ir is used, it effectively shuts down the matrix ir's.

So, that solution isn't going to work.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought you were trying to diagnose - I didn't know you already knew why it didn't work...

Assuming the AVR is located with the source/matrix gear and not in the media room, and RF remote for the media room would be the answer - with RF just for the AVR and the sources continue with IR. Or a separate wired IR repeater from the media room to the AVR. If you've got any wire(s) available, you can do that for $20...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't know why it didn't work when I posted, but had a minute of break to phone AA inbetween our posts.

Jeff... I am so so very frustrated. The tech from the a/v company that has helped me came out today while I was at the office and he installed an Episode 6-Emitter IR repeater kit in the Media Room...

I get in and there is a picture playing and the sound is from the AVR the AVR remote is working and I think... "HE DID IT!".... wrong. And he texted me that it was working fine...

I now have no control over the source, only the avr and I am livid. (for $75 an hour).

If this thing will work to control the avr, then great... but the bigger question is... How do you make this room a zone like any other zone on the matrix... other than it will play sound through the AVR?

Is there something huge I am missing... right now and before I get on a freakin ladder and reinstall my ir receiver into the AA wallplate... when I choose a source, the AVR only plays the sound from the source it previously was on.

It's now gotten so confusing, and it didn't used to be for me.

Thanks,

Richds
post #6 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

So I assume the AVR is in a rack with AVAtrix, and not in the media room? And so you're taking the "local" zone (#7) to the AVR. But some other zone output is sending audio/video to the media room?

If that's correct, you're essentially using two zone outputs for one room, which is why you're having difficulty now. You either need to send the audio back from the zone to the AVR, or use the local audio/video output to run to the AVR, and then use a separate component video repeater to take that output to the media room.

This is the peril of relocating AVRs to a central location, creating an inconsistent A/V story as compared to the rest of the zones.

Do you have any available cabling (RG6 or Cat5e) between the equipment closet and the media room? If you've got anything available, getting the digital audio "back" from the zone to the AVR would be simple.

The other choice would be to disconnect all the digital audio from the sources and run all of them to the AVR directly. Then you'd use the media room zone as normal, but control audio switching via the AVR (still need an IR solution). But speaking of IR, I still think an IR emitter attached to the Main IR output and placed in front of the AVR should work. These outputs are usually (and the AVAtrix manual says the same thing) just the sum of all zone IR receivers.

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #7 of 9 Old 02-17-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

So I assume the AVR is in a rack with AVAtrix, and not in the media room? And so you're taking the "local" zone (#7) to the AVR. But some other zone output is sending audio/video to the media room?

This is all correct...

If that's correct, you're essentially using two zone outputs for one room, which is why you're having difficulty now. You either need to send the audio back from the zone to the AVR, or use the local audio/video output to run to the AVR, and then use a separate component video repeater to take that output to the media room.

Out of curiousity, and it may be something that's very obvious, but what is the purpose of the main output? I had originally considered that it's there to allow for diagnostics in the rack room or a local zone?

This is the peril of relocating AVRs to a central location, creating an inconsistent A/V story as compared to the rest of the zones.

Do you have any available cabling (RG6 or Cat5e) between the equipment closet and the media room? If you've got anything available, getting the digital audio "back" from the zone to the AVR would be simple.

I do have enough cabling to do this. So are you saying to take the audio out of the zone (Sharp Aquous 65") back to the rack... tell me more.

The other choice would be to disconnect all the digital audio from the sources and run all of them to the AVR directly. Then you'd use the media room zone as normal, but control audio switching via the AVR (still need an IR solution). But speaking of IR, I still think an IR emitter attached to the Main IR output and placed in front of the AVR should work. These outputs are usually (and the AVAtrix manual says the same thing) just the sum of all zone IR receivers.

Yeah, no... it's not that way and I argued with AA that it "half" works... (The matrix remote still works from each zone, but everything else isn't processed... it's just weird, plain strange) Anything plugged into the main purposefully shorts the box's ir routing. It's designed for a 3rd party routing system solely... not a mix. (So says AA). I am looking at the audio back possibility as the best solution. The IR system I added (above post) is working great... I went back to the HDMI routing to that "zone", leaving it off out of my matrix, since all of my sources allow for simultaneous HDMI and component and the main source is a tivo elite... so I just use that to grab recordings from other tivo sources in house over the network.

Maybe leaving it HDMI and outside the matrix is my solution, now that I have a way to control 6 devices via IR from that zone. All of this is always a work in progress as you know.

Jeff
post #8 of 9 Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2jet View Post

Out of curiousity, and it may be something that's very obvious, but what is the purpose of the main output? I had originally considered that it's there to allow for diagnostics in the rack room or a local zone?

Yes, it's for a local 'monitor' or if the equipment is co-located with one of the zones...
Quote:
I do have enough cabling to do this. So are you saying to take the audio out of the zone (Sharp Aquous 65") back to the rack... tell me more.

Yes, but not from the TV - take the digital audio output from the AA's receiver wallplate, and send it back to the AVR in your closet. Any coax will work with some 80-cent RCA-to-F-connector fittings, or you can use a spare cat5e and a balun set:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10430&cs_id=1043008&p_id=4130&seq=1&format=2

http://muxlab.com/product?class=baluns&product=digital-audio-balun&pid=109

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #9 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff... I'm looking into doing this this weekend.

Operating it via hdmi over cat wire independent of the matrix is working fine... any of the sources that I share can be accessed via hdmi or component... so, but for the xbox sound (xbox is local to the zone since the rack is too far for the controller) having to be run through the tv for now... it's all working and being "not perfectly yet" controlled by Logitech Harmony One's (I happen to like these).

But I will run the cable back from the digital audio out of the plate and try running the zone off of the matrix to see which I prefer.

Kindly,

Jet
(rich)
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page