Sonos Whole House Audio Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

First post here. Read numerous other whole house audio threads on here. You guys are very knowledgeable and looking forward to some input on my future set-up. My technical level is low so bare with me.

Have a new construction home being built in June. Will have 7 maybe 8 zones of audio. Going to go with the Sonos system components.

Here's the rooms that will have two in-ceiling speakers:

1) Master Bath
2) Master Bedroom (Would like to combine with the bath)
3) Guest Suite
4) Office
5) Dining Room
6) Kitchen
7) Deck
8) Garage

Question one:

I would like to have a Sonos Connect:Amp run the Master Bath and Master Bedroom. With a total of 4 speakers how would I do this? Need to buy separate amp and just have a Connect? Also would like to have a switch to have the speakers on only in the bath, bedroom, or both. Is this possible?

Question two:

Would like to have the dining room, kitchen, deck, garage all combined since really no need to have different music playing in these zones during a party. What is a good amp to buy for this or other solution?

Question three:

Should I have all system components in our main level family room or in the mechanical room in the basement?

I've seen the previous threads that say its a wash having separate amps or Sonos Connect:Amps and just do all Sonos, but I guess its hard to justify buying 8 or 7 Connect:Amps at $500 a pop. Maybe I'm wrong. Again I'm new to the home audio field and don't know whats out there and how much it costs.

Thanks again for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by bord141 View Post

Hello all,

First post here. Read numerous other whole house audio threads on here. You guys are very knowledgeable and looking forward to some input on my future set-up. My technical level is low so bare with me.

Have a new construction home being built in June. Will have 7 maybe 8 zones of audio. Going to go with the Sonos system components.

1) Master Bath
3) Guest Suite
4) Office
5) Dining Room
6) Kitchen
7) Deck
8) Garage

Question one:

I would like to have a Sonos Connect:Amp run the Master Bath and Master Bedroom. With a total of 4 speakers how would I do this? Need to buy separate amp and just have a Connect? Also would like to have a switch to have the speakers on only in the bath, bedroom, or both. Is this possible?

Question two:

Would like to have the dining room, kitchen, deck, garage all combined since really no need to have different music playing in these zones during a party. What is a good amp to buy for this or other solution?

Question three:

Should I have all system components in our main level family room or in the mechanical room in the basement?

I've seen the previous threads that say its a wash having separate amps or Sonos Connect:Amps and just do all Sonos, but I guess its hard to justify buying 8 or 7 Connect:Amps at $500 a pop. Maybe I'm wrong. Again I'm new to the home audio field and don't know whats out there and how much it costs.

I am in a similar situation and posted a similar question.

I am leaning toward using the HTD 12 speaker (6 zone) system and adding a Sonos Connect as one of the sources that I then can control with in ipad or similar. This has been the most economical option that I have found to do something similar to what you are wanting to do.

HTD has a system without keypads which is what I am going to use if I go this route. You can control what is playing (the zones) and the volume via a web interface.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bord141 View Post

Hello all,

1) Master Bath
3) Guest Suite
4) Office
5) Dining Room
6) Kitchen
7) Deck
8) Garage

Question one:

The connect:amp is stable down to 4 ohms, so you can use 1 c:amp and hook 4 speakers to it (speakers have to be 8 ohms each). Use in wall volume switches for each room. Route the wires for each set of speakers through the volume control, loop/coil at the volume control, then continue on to the speakers

Question two:

you could use 2 connect amps here(assuming 8 speakers @ 8 ohms each), i would suggest having the deck and garage on a seperate zone, or Use in wall volume controls. That way you can turn off the volume in certain area in case you ever have too. If you want to go the amp route, HTD gets alot of good reviews.

Question three:

I personally prefer the clutter in the basement

Sonos is slick as hell, i personally would go with Sonos. 1 APP, controls it all. No switching apps or programs. I looked hard at the HTD system, but settled on Sonos. It will work the way i want it too, all from 1program.

If you doing in wall volume controls, run 2 runs of CAT 6 to each one in conjunction with the speaker wire

post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 08:04 PM

I should note that when i say it controls it all, i am refering to within the sonos system itself. You cant control external sources with the sonos app/program.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_09 View Post

I should note that when i say it controls it all, i am refering to within the sonos system itself. You cant control external sources with the sonos app/program.

What in wall volume control do you recommend?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM

Sorry, i dont have an answer for that one. I've never used them. Someone else can probably recommend one. I have the same opinion as you, i believe with the way technology is going, wall control will eventually be a thing of the past. Lol, and there will be a few who disagree with that. Cough cougb...jeff

Kidding aside, wall control can definately have its advantages at times
post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
What in wall volume control do you recommend?

They're all the same, generally speaking. It's just a volume knob versus a functioning touch display. These will work: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090301&p_id=8243&seq=1&format=2
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page