RG6 kool-aid - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

Im pre-wiring a new vacation home. Ive been reading many posts and the recommended articles...

The install is happening in 4 days and this is my first post. Call me weird, but im not drinking the RG6 kool-aid. One Rg6 cable to each TV display seems like enough, based on what ive read in the "Cocoon pre-wire101" article and "Hometech" articles. 

David Feller's article says "if you only use one rG6 cable, you can use the other for a security camera backfeed, extra A/V point, or spdif audio". I dont need any of that. And it seems to me that video players are not being used much with the availability of streaming. Why pay for cable and a bunch of cable boxes everywhere when i can stream hulu and netflix? Why have a bunch of boxy wired equipment when i can use a wired internet ready TV with a portable apple tv or roku and the pre-wired cat5e?

That being said, Im pre-wiring 4 locations (that may never get a TV) with ONE RG6 and 3-4 cat5e cables just in case: the master bedroom and two guest rooms, plus a small recreation room that is open to the great room area where the main entertainment will take place.

Heading to the HomeTech store in Cupertino for supplies.... Ill be back with post #2 and appreciate All replys, for and against....

(Minor Edit for readibility)

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-18-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Cindy View Post

David Feller's article says "if you only use one rG6 cable, you can use the other for a security camera backfeed, extra A/V point, or spdif audio". I dont need any of that.

Ever? That's the point of pre-wiring, to allow for future expansion and flexibility.
Quote:
In fact, Im pre-wiring 4 locations that may never get a TV: The master bedroom and two guest rooms, plus a small recreation room that is open to the great room area where the main entertainment will take place. But im pre-wiring with one RG6 and 3-4 cat5e cables just in case...

As long as you're wiring at least one of each RG6/Cat5e, you have the basics covered. After that, additional cat5e runs should be the next priority.

"Weird" is when you don't run any RG6 at all... smile.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 16 Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Ever? That's the point of pre-wiring, to allow for future expansion and flexibility.
Jeff

Sure, i might want security cameras, but probably not in the same location as my TV. I am just scratching my head on what i would do with 2+ RG6 terminals in one location.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-18-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Cindy View Post

Sure, i might want security cameras, but probably not in the same location as my TV. I am just scratching my head on what i would do with 2+ RG6 terminals in one location.

The 2xRG6 at TV locations came about because of the dual-tuner satellite DVRs plus the HD transition which had a lot of us adding OTA antennas in addition to our sat/CATV providers to pick up any HD content we could find.

With both of those things in the past (new sat DVRs can do everything with one RG6 run) for most of us, there's only the "second tier" of use cases where it will be used. And in many of those cases, there are options that would work with cat5e instead of coax (may be more expensive, though).

My advice would be to run 2 RG6's to the primary display location or other big A/V locations (theater / media room), one everywhere else, and then use up the rest of your spool by adding runs until you're out of wire. smile.gif

Unless you're planning on security cameras right now, the trend is absolutely to IP cameras which will run over cat5e instead of coax. And yes, no one intended the 2nd coax run to a TV location for security cameras - although for 'nanny cams' in kid's bedrooms they might have been used...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 16 Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight Jeff smile.gif
post #6 of 16 Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
While 1 coax is fine if there is absolutely no possibility that a second might ever be useful, many people recognize that there may come a time when another cable would come in handy. Other uses could include distribution of OTA in addition to CATV or satellite TV. Dish Network DVRs have a 2nd output for a 2nd TV.

The thing is, if you are absolutely certain (100%) that your wants/needs and technology won't ever change and that you will never sell your house, stick with 1 coax. Cable is cheap, and it would be much easier to pull in two while there are no walls than it would be to go back and install a second one after the walls are up.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 57
jautor's spot on. Not running RG-6 is weird. Normal is one per room, basically every house in the US has that, and no more. Security cameras are going CAT-5, and even if you install wiring for one now, and use one that uses RG-59, it's baseband, so you can use baluns. The current generation uses CAT-5 directly without Ethernet or IP ability, and the next generation after that will be IP.

I would say that while the HD transition and dual-tuner satellite DVRs are behind us, DirecTV's current coax system (may be the same for DISH, not sure) cannot be multiplexed, so if you want OTA and DirecTV, you'd need two RG-6s. If you're using any ONE MSO, and nothing else, one RG-6 is 100% good to go.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I plan to stick with the 1-1 combo but appreciate the feedback on potential of a second RG6.

Cheers!
post #9 of 16 Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 PM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm not sure that it's strictly a multiplexer, but I use a "SWM-8" (http://www.swm8.com/swm-general-info.php) to feed satellite and OTA signals down a single cable to my dual-tuner DirecTV reciever - works flawlessly, even over extended distances.

But even having this capability, just like everyone is saying, I would never consider using a single RG6 cable, I'd always run a pair. I just took a quick look on Amazon: a 500' spool of single (quad) RG6 is $98 and you can get the dual version of the same cable for $138 - just MHO, but the 40 bucks difference makes it a total no-brainer.

Just do it - you know you want to!

Dave
post #10 of 16 Old 02-20-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

I'm not sure that it's strictly a multiplexer, but I use a "SWM-8" (http://www.swm8.com/swm-general-info.php) to feed satellite and OTA signals down a single cable to my dual-tuner DirecTV reciever - works flawlessly, even over extended distances.

But even having this capability, just like everyone is saying, I would never consider using a single RG6 cable, I'd always run a pair. I just took a quick look on Amazon: a 500' spool of single (quad) RG6 is $98 and you can get the dual version of the same cable for $138 - just MHO, but the 40 bucks difference makes it a total no-brainer.

Just do it - you know you want to!

Dave

That's true. I forgot that there was a way to do OTA with the older SWiM-8 setups where you have 4 lines from the dish and a separate multiswitch. I guess I was thinking that the old multiplexers wouldn't work...
post #11 of 16 Old 02-23-2013, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I run 2 RG6 lines when possible. A lot of my clients use sat and cable. Hence the need for both RG6 lines.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 AM

Guys

I just had a silly question. Since I planned to mount all my TV's on the wall. So all my runs are coming out from the upper part of the wall instead of on the bottom just a little above the baseboard like I normally saw in other houses. Is that wierd ? frown.gif

Tahoe Cindy
I'm Bay Area too and got my supplies from HomeTech too. I'm still deciding which system to use. What about you?

Jun
post #13 of 16 Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ildo View Post

I just had a silly question. Since I planned to mount all my TV's on the wall. So all my runs are coming out from the upper part of the wall instead of on the bottom just a little above the baseboard like I normally saw in other houses. Is that wierd ? frown.gif

How high up? I ran many of my TV runs to recessed wall boxes (Arlington TVBox) at a proper height for a wall mounted TV (60" from the floor, plus or minus), at least in the locations where the TV placement was obvious. If someone in the future doesn't want a TV in the room, the box is easily covered by anything on the wall (pictures, art, mirror, etc.). But in all these cases, the boxes are hidden behind any TV / mount. I wouldn't recommend using normal flush-mounted plates as they will likely mean wires / plates will be exposed.

For the most flexibility, though, you can leave enough extra wire at any mount location such that the wire could reach down to an outlet-height plate, so they can be easily moved the few feet down if needed later.

Jeff

post #14 of 16 Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 PM

Thank you Jeff ! Now I feel much better. Yes
My boxes are about 4-5 ft above the floor. And I did use the recessed boxes.

Jun
post #15 of 16 Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ildo View Post

Tahoe Cindy
I'm Bay Area too and got my supplies from HomeTech too. I'm still deciding which system to use. What about you?

Jun

Not sure yet. That will be my next big research project smile.gif
post #16 of 16 Old 02-24-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

I would never consider using a single RG6 cable, I'd always run a pair. ......, but the 40 bucks difference makes it a total no-brainer.

Dave

True. The cost is negligible. And i may regret it.... Time will tell and i will either be back to say 'coulda shoulda' or 'i told you so' wink.gif
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page