Sonos or hard wired - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horsegoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure which way to go. I already have my outdoor deck speakers but as posted in another thread I want to add a speaker in bedroom. But now that I think about it our kitchen, dining room and living room are tightly connected and open to each and we wAnt to have a home theatre speaker system so that would provide sound for that entire area. Could I have an amp that would work with Sonos and my hard wired deck speakers? Thanks

beau
horsegoer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 02-18-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
The Sonos Connect:Amp is a decent-sized amp all by itself. If you attach it to an impedance-matching speaker selector, you can probably run those three rooms off of it. At least, for in-ceiling background music...

For your bedroom, take a look a the new Sonos Soundbar product. Looks very slick assuming you have a TV in there that could take advantage of it.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #3 of 30 Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horsegoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can apple tv sound play through Sonos?

beau
horsegoer is offline  
post #4 of 30 Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

Can apple tv sound play through Sonos?

The Sonos Connect products have an analog audio input, but the Apple TV has only an optical digital output. To connect them you'd need an outboard DAC like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

But what would you be using it for? The Sonos can access your music library, and has more online music services...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #5 of 30 Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horsegoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I play my ATV movies I would want sound through my home theatre speakers.

beau
horsegoer is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

When I play my ATV movies I would want sound through my home theatre speakers.

Are you just wanting to install one set of speakers for that whole kitchen/dining/living room?

If so, you'd want an A/V receiver and speakers for that space. You can connect a digital audio output from a Sonos device to any AVR, but that may not make sense if the Sonos unit is powering other zones.

Where are your patio speakers wired to now?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #7 of 30 Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horsegoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To a receiver in my living room. I really don't want a receiver as we only stream through the Internet but I guess I need one for my HT surround sound setup?? Thanks.

beau
horsegoer is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

I really don't want a receiver as we only stream through the Internet but I guess I need one for my HT surround sound setup?? Thanks.

Yes.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #9 of 30 Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horsegoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot Jautor. Ok a few question
possible speaker setup.(2) deck speakers, one speaker in bedroom, one in kitchen along with (2) front a sub and (2) rears for my HT surround sound.

1. I would like to be able to shutoff & control each group---- deck, bedroom, kitchen & surround.
2. Could I control things like on/off, volume & music selection(only stream music through internet) from remote location like out on deck, bedroom etc.

What receiver and interfaces would I need to be able to accomplish 1&2? Thanks.

beau
horsegoer is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

possible speaker setup.(2) deck speakers, one speaker in bedroom, one in kitchen along with (2) front a sub and (2) rears for my HT surround sound.

Install stereo speaker pairs in most rooms. If the room is so small that there's not 3-4' of separation possible, use a dual-voice-coil (DVC) single speaker.
Quote:
1. I would like to be able to shutoff & control each group---- deck, bedroom, kitchen & surround.
2. Could I control things like on/off, volume & music selection(only stream music through internet) from remote location like out on deck, bedroom etc.

What receiver and interfaces would I need to be able to accomplish 1&2? Thanks.

A 3-zone A/V Receiver would get you close, so would one one or more Sonos Connect:Amps plus some speaker selectors. How much flexibility (different sources playing in areas, individual zone volume controls, etc.) you want will greatly affect the cost. Simplest is an AVR for your 5-channel surround system, Sonos Connect:Amp and speaker selector for the other three zones.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #11 of 30 Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horsegoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jautor thanks... To be honest now that I think about it we would never really need different music playing on diff speakers. Is the quality of the Sonos speakers any good? With Sonos could I control my music from either the deck, bedroom or kitchen and how. What functions would I have be able to control from these areas? Thanks ... I feel I should send you a consult fee...smile.gif....

beau
horsegoer is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horsegoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
By the way... Do you think I'm better off hardwiring all my speakers instead of Sonos? I can run my wires to various areas(leave coiled in attic) for future ceiling speaker expansion if even necessary. Cant i just do an amp instead of AVR? Sorry confused a little.Thanks

beau
horsegoer is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

Is the quality of the Sonos speakers any good? With Sonos could I control my music from either the deck, bedroom or kitchen and how. What functions would I have be able to control from these areas? Thanks ... I feel I should send you a consult fee...smile.gif....

If you mean the Sonos Play systems, then yes, they're good. But you probably don't want to carry that around from room to room. Look at the Sonos Connect:Amp. All Sonos gear is controlled from a mobile device app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

By the way... Do you think I'm better off hardwiring all my speakers instead of Sonos? I can run my wires to various areas(leave coiled in attic) for future ceiling speaker expansion if even necessary. Cant i just do an amp instead of AVR? Sorry confused a little.Thanks

Sonos Connect:Amp has an amp built-in if you want to go that route (separate from your 5.1 setup). And yes, run wires for speakers if possible. A lot more flexibility - unless you're planning on moving soon...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #14 of 30 Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horsegoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I control volume from these mobile devices/apps(I rule) or should I wire for volume knobs by deck door, bedroom etc.? Ty

beau
horsegoer is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

Can I control volume from these mobile devices/apps(I rule) or should I wire for volume knobs by deck door, bedroom etc.? Ty

You can control volume from any of the apps/systems, but how useful that is will depend on how you're distributing the signal. If you split the output from a single amp/Sonos unit, controlling the volume from the app will affect all of the rooms. So in that case, in-room volume controls may be helpful to adjust volume relative to the other rooms.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #16 of 30 Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horsegoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This should be the last question smile.gif and thanks for all the advice. Would I be able to control turning certain speakers in each room/area on/off with apps/iphone etc.? Say if I am on the deck and I only want to have those playing. I know you mention using a speaker selector but can I control that remotely? Thanks.

beau
horsegoer is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
princeton3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just left Russound after about 7 years with a CAA66 system - wired in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. The unit was great for a time but now that I have just recently acquired a Sonos system (5 of 8 or 9 eventual zones installed) (all zones use Connect Amps and my original in-wall/in-ceiling speakers and wiring), I realize Russound was way behind in terms of user friendliness, ease of setup and upgrades, and expandability. On the other hand, Russound may be slighter better in terms of overall sound quality. I had the choice to go with either Russound's newer MCA-C5 model or the Nuvo Grand Concerto and I chose Sonos.

In terms of your question, yes you can control each zone with your ios device. For example, you can turn the zones on and off, select the music source you want to listen to in either or all of your zones, group your zones together, control volume levels in each zone, all from your iphone app.

When you hear people say "it just works," they really mean it - no lying/no exaggeration!! Give it a shot with one zone first and see if it works for you. That's what I did and within two weeks I had 4 more zones connected....

Good luck!!!
princeton3 is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
horsegoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot. I'm learning. So if one is to choose Sonos then there system is basically a wireless one with the option to hard wire some speakers if one desires? Basically a Sonos system can consist of both wired and wireless speakers? Can I use other "remote controls" besides and IPhone?

beau
horsegoer is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Newbie
 
kalitechnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I am currently looking at revamping a system we installed several years back. The home consists of 20 zones all hard wired back to the utility closet in the basement. Touch screens are in place now throughout the home(about 10 of them) connected via cat5. I was considering using a NuVo grand concerto, grand expander, several color touch screens, ipod dock and music port elite server. I started to look at the Sonos stuff and seems I can add 20 Connect:amps in the distribution closet in the basement where all the speaker lines come to. I have never used Sonos and was trying to get an understanding of how it works. i know it creates its own mesh network. One amp could connect to the router and the rest of the amps would then wirelessly communicate with one another? Being these would all sit in the same rack in the basement(since all the lines homerun from there), would that cause some sort of interference with on another? Would I need to add something to the first floor, second floor and maybe outside to extend the Sonos wireless range that I could connect to an ethernet jack wherever the signal seems weak in the home? Basically, to get 20 zones to work in a home that is about 8-10k sq. ft. in size reliably, would Sonos be the product to go with over the NuVo system? I like the fact that I can send audio from the iPhone directly to the Sonos system as well as control the existing library rather than have iTunes sync to a server as done with the NuVo system. I spoke with Sonos support to get an idea with a few questions, but didnt get to detailed. Any input would be great! thanks!
kalitechnis is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalitechnis View Post

I am currently looking at revamping a system we installed several years back. The home consists of 20 zones all hard wired back to the utility closet in the basement. Touch screens are in place now throughout the home(about 10 of them) connected via cat5. I was considering using a NuVo grand concerto, grand expander, several color touch screens, ipod dock and music port elite server. I started to look at the Sonos stuff and seems I can add 20 Connect:amps in the distribution closet in the basement where all the speaker lines come to. I have never used Sonos and was trying to get an understanding of how it works. i know it creates its own mesh network. One amp could connect to the router and the rest of the amps would then wirelessly communicate with one another? Being these would all sit in the same rack in the basement(since all the lines homerun from there), would that cause some sort of interference with on another?

If they're all centralized, you'd be much better off just using wired Ethernet in that location with a switch. I don't know what Sonos' limits are as to how many units the app supports for zone selection and so forth - same for Pandora/Spotify connections. While that would give you a whole lot of flexibility, I assume you don't really need 20 different sources.
Quote:
Would I need to add something to the first floor, second floor and maybe outside to extend the Sonos wireless range that I could connect to an ethernet jack wherever the signal seems weak in the home? Basically, to get 20 zones to work in a home that is about 8-10k sq. ft. in size reliably, would Sonos be the product to go with over the NuVo system?

If the speakers are all wired to one location, I don't see any reason to change that - put all the gear at that location, regardless of what system you use.
Quote:
I like the fact that I can send audio from the iPhone directly to the Sonos system as well as control the existing library rather than have iTunes sync to a server as done with the NuVo system. I spoke with Sonos support to get an idea with a few questions, but didnt get to detailed. Any input would be great! thanks!

You could accomplish the same iOS connectivity by putting an Apple Airport Express (an AirPlay device) attached as a source to the NuVo system (or any system for that matter).

Also, the MPS4/Elite will use NAS storage, so you could point it to an iTunes library on your network and not sync to the internal hard drive.

Note that the NuVo GC with the expander gets you 16 zones total. Getting to 20 would require some thought... With that many zones, you might consider a set of NuVo P3100 systems as well, it would be a cleaner install at the rack level...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #21 of 30 Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Member
 
Gramin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
So if one is to choose Sonos then there system is basically a wireless one with the option to hard wire some speakers if one desires? Basically a Sonos system can consist of both wired and wireless speakers? Can I use other "remote controls" besides and IPhone?

Their system is comprised of wireless speakers, an amp and a connect (sends music to your other amps). You can mix and match these in any combination and get the same results. If you're going with in-ceiling speakers, then you get the Sonos Connect Amp. If you have a bedroom and just want to add a table speaker, you get one of their zone players. As my home will consist of several zones of in-ceiling speakers and 5.1 in my living room, I'll get a few Sonos Connect Amps and one Sonos Connect (which will pipe music to the 5.1). Essentially, this creates one large music distribution system that can be seperated into its individual parts.

Sonos creates its own wireless mesh network. There is a benefit to placing them throughout your house, IF you're going wireless. But as Jeff suggested (and as I'm doing), if all the Sonos devices will be in a central location, you're better off connecting them via Cat5e/6.

And any smart device can control them. They have great apps for both iOS and Android.
Gramin is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 03-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Member
 
goofy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is an old thread, but the subject spoke to my question, so I thought I'd start here before starting a new thread.

We recently purchased a home built in 2004. We found that it was pre-wired for whole house audio on the lower level in 4 rooms. I don't really know much about how to setup a system like this, but did find where all the wires come together in the attic. The wires themselves don't look super high quality, and have laid dormant for nearly 10 years. The previous owner never installed speakers or anything else--just ran the wires. So my question is: Is it worth using this pre-wired setup, or just go with a system like Sonos and forget about the wiring. I'm wondering if the wireless speaker system would offer as good of sound quality for the price, with easier setup? One advantage to the Sonos system is that we'd be able to easily add a speaker upstairs, where we don't currently have wiring. I think I could reasonably place Sonos speakers in the various rooms vs. installing in-ceiling speakers.

Our house is 4,600 sq ft. I'm thinking of having a speaker placed in the screened in porch, downstairs living room (speaker pointed toward the kitchen), and upstairs family room to start. Then maybe add more rooms later. The Sonos system seems pretty nice, so I guess my ultimate question is if there's any reason I should try to leverage the existing home wiring or just let it go to waste and get the Sonos? Or would some combination of wired and wireless be best?
goofy11 is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 03-14-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy11 View Post

This is an old thread, but the subject spoke to my question, so I thought I'd start here before starting a new thread.

We've responded to much, much older zombie threads... biggrin.gif
Quote:
We recently purchased a home built in 2004. We found that it was pre-wired for whole house audio on the lower level in 4 rooms. I don't really know much about how to setup a system like this, but did find where all the wires come together in the attic. The wires themselves don't look super high quality, and have laid dormant for nearly 10 years. The previous owner never installed speakers or anything else--just ran the wires. So my question is: Is it worth using this pre-wired setup, or just go with a system like Sonos and forget about the wiring.

Do the wires go anywhere useful? If they just end in the attic - is there a place on the upper floor where you would place equipment? Meaning a closet with a power outlet? 10-year old speaker wire is fine, though.
Quote:
I'm wondering if the wireless speaker system would offer as good of sound quality for the price, with easier setup? One advantage to the Sonos system is that we'd be able to easily add a speaker upstairs, where we don't currently have wiring. I think I could reasonably place Sonos speakers in the various rooms vs. installing in-ceiling speakers.

Make sure you look at the full line of Sonos gear. The Connect:Amp unit is meant to drive external speakers - which can either be sitting in the room, or installed in-ceiling/in-wall. The unit itself, then, can be placed either in the room, or in a central closet - hence the wiring question. The nice thing about those units is that the app / user interface is the same as the self-contained Sonos Play units - so it's easy to mix and match them as you need.
Quote:
Our house is 4,600 sq ft. I'm thinking of having a speaker placed in the screened in porch, downstairs living room (speaker pointed toward the kitchen), and upstairs family room to start. Then maybe add more rooms later. The Sonos system seems pretty nice, so I guess my ultimate question is if there's any reason I should try to leverage the existing home wiring or just let it go to waste and get the Sonos? Or would some combination of wired and wireless be best?

For any room of reasonable size - you should be thinking "speakers" (plural). Leverage the home wiring if it's useful and what you want - it all depends on where you want the speakers to go. For "background music" the in-ceiling / in-walls are much less intrusive. But for primary listening areas, freestanding speakers are a better quality option - if you're willing to have them "exposed". Regardless, you can do any of that with the Sonos line...


Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #24 of 30 Old 03-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Member
 
goofy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Do the wires go anywhere useful? If they just end in the attic - is there a place on the upper floor where you would place equipment? Meaning a closet with a power outlet?
I do have a cabinet in my home theater room that I could put some equipment in, but strangely, where the wires come out in the attic is on the other end of the house. The attic is accessed through my daughter's room's closet, which wouldn't be a convenient place for any equipment. As such, I'm a little puzzled as to why the wires would all have ended up there. I guess maybe because that's also where some of the other electrical stuff is including a breaker box.

I probably should have specified before how we would plan to use the system. It would primarily be used as background music for parties (I'm not talking teenage dance parties), or just during the day when my wife is going about her activities. As such, I'm not looking for the best possible sound, but just want something that sounds decent at moderate volume levels. The in-ceiling speakers would probably be the best option, but I'm not much of a DIY kind of guy, and I don't really want to spend a bunch of money to get stuff professionally installed. This is one reason the wireless Sonos system was appealing--it looked like very painless setup. I'm not overly concerned about the difference between in-ceiling vs Sonos in terms of aesthetics and blending in. That said, if the better setup really would be in-ceiling wired speakers, I'm not ruling it out.

For arguments sake, let's say I'm thinking of the configuration below as option A.

Option A:
Play:3 - downstairs living room / kitchen
Play:1 - screened in porch
Play:1 - upstairs living room
Play:1 - master bath
Bridge
Total Cost = $950

Any suggestions on a better alternative for roughly the same money (including installation)? Again, taking into consideration that the bottom floor is prewired.

Option B:
?????
goofy11 is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 03-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Member
 
goofy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, here are a few pics of what I found in the house.

This first one shows the wires converging in the attic.


This one is an example of where we see wires covered by a wall plate. There are 4 locations on the main floor with these wall plates. I'm assuming these are for volume controls, but not sure.


One thing I don't know, is where the wires are in the ceiling for speaker installation. I'm wondering though if I should try utilizing this pre-wiring and then use wireless Sonos speakers for areas where I don't have the wiring, like upstairs.
goofy11 is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 05-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Member
 
davboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mokena, IL
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any idea on the gauge of the existing speaker wire? Looks limiting, I think I'd go all Sonos personally.
davboy is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
kenchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
new construction - wired vs. wireless???

@goofy11 - what did you end up doing for your setup?


I have a similar situation where I am building a new construction custom home and at the stage where I need to decide on home wiring vs. wireless setup.
5000 sq ft home, looking for mainly background music for basement, kitchen/family room, and maybe upstairs bedrooms.
We are planning on living in the home for at least 10 years. I am a big fan of wireless. Do people think I should get the home wired "just in case"... or would it be just a waste of time/$$ ?
thanks!
kenchi is online now  
post #28 of 30 Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchi View Post
5000 sq ft home, looking for mainly background music for basement, kitchen/family room, and maybe upstairs bedrooms.
We are planning on living in the home for at least 10 years. I am a big fan of wireless. Do people think I should get the home wired "just in case"... or would it be just a waste of time/$$ ?
thanks!
Yes, wire it. And for a 5000 sqf home, you should think about wiring many more rooms than that... Six or eight zones is typical for a house that size: bedrooms, study, dining, kitchen, game, patio, etc.

The pre-wiring allows you to use any system on the market, now or in the future. Don't limit yourself to in-room "standalone" networked / wireless solutions since you don't have to. You CAN, though, very easily centralize a stack of Sonos Connect:Amp units if that's the path you decide.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #29 of 30 Old 06-23-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 1,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Agree with jautor – stick the wires in even if you don’t thinkyou are going to use them and you can guarantee that once you install the ‘initial’batch of Sonos Zones you will be back for more.

Joe


If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Joe Fernand is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 06-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
kenchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies. Looks like backup hardwiring is the way to go...
kenchi is online now  
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off