Using in-ceiling speakers for both rear surrounds and whole house audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way one can use 2 living room in- ceiling speakers (as part of wired sonos based whole house audio) for rear surrounds from living room system also. Living room will have AVR powering a LCR soundbar.

I want to avoid installing 2 extra speakers. Will DVC speakers do the job? Can I add some sort of local interrupt in wall?
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post

Is there a way one can use 2 living room in- ceiling speakers (as part of wired sonos based whole house audio) for rear surrounds from living room system also. Living room will have AVR powering a LCR soundbar.

I want to avoid installing 2 extra speakers. Will DVC speakers do the job? Can I add some sort of local interrupt in wall?

Yes, a speaker selector with a 12V trigger will do this. Xantech has one that is also IR controlled, but 12V trigger would be the automatic way...

http://www.xantech.com/Controls/VolumeControls/SpeakerSelectors/SR21/

I've done this in my bedroom setup (same thing, AVR with an LCR speaker, in-ceiling surround / WHA setup). I used the NuVo Local Source Interrupt since it's easily integrated. Their 12V model may be a general-purpose solution, too.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Member
 
Slider_09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can also look at the Niles SAS-1 or SPK-1. I just bought a Niles SAS-1, it can be used to auto switch you rear surrounds, as well as your sub.
Slider_09 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yes, a speaker selector with a 12V trigger will do this. Xantech has one that is also IR controlled, but 12V trigger would be the automatic way...

http://www.xantech.com/Controls/VolumeControls/SpeakerSelectors/SR21/

I've done this in my bedroom setup (same thing, AVR with an LCR speaker, in-ceiling surround / WHA setup). I used the NuVo Local Source Interrupt since it's easily integrated. Their 12V model may be a general-purpose solution, too.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_09 View Post

You can also look at the Niles SAS-1 or SPK-1. I just bought a Niles SAS-1, it can be used to auto switch you rear surrounds, as well as your sub.


Thanks for your reply. How do you install these switches? Can they be installed in wall or do I have to keep them in my AV rack? I apologise for this noob question.
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post


Thanks for your reply. How do you install these switches? Can they be installed in wall or do I have to keep them in my AV rack? I apologise for this noob question.

Neither of these units can be put in the wall - and you've got to run speaker wire, trigger and power to them. You can place it near the AVR or in your central closet AV rack - but somewhere all the wires have to come together...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
VinnyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You can take a look at this unit made by Russound. I actually have this unit installed for the same application as you. Didn't want two pairs of speakers so I prioritized my surround sound so that when I turn on my AVR, it bypasses my multi-room audio system. This does automatic switching.



Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
********************************************************
VinnyS is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

You can take a look at this unit made by Russound. I actually have this unit installed for the same application as you. Didn't want two pairs of speakers so I prioritized my surround sound so that when I turn on my AVR, it bypasses my multi-room audio system. This does automatic switching.

I hadn't seen that Russound piece. That's a great implementation. Adjustable auto-sense, gets rid of the trigger wiring (still needs AC power of course). Price is very reasonable,too.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yes, a speaker selector with a 12V trigger will do this. Xantech has one that is also IR controlled, but 12V trigger would be the automatic way...

http://www.xantech.com/Controls/VolumeControls/SpeakerSelectors/SR21/

I've done this in my bedroom setup (same thing, AVR with an LCR speaker, in-ceiling surround / WHA setup). I used the NuVo Local Source Interrupt since it's easily integrated. Their 12V model may be a general-purpose solution, too.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_09 View Post

You can also look at the Niles SAS-1 or SPK-1. I just bought a Niles SAS-1, it can be used to auto switch you rear surrounds, as well as your sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Neither of these units can be put in the wall - and you've got to run speaker wire, trigger and power to them. You can place it near the AVR or in your central closet AV rack - but somewhere all the wires have to come together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

You can take a look at this unit made by Russound. I actually have this unit installed for the same application as you. Didn't want two pairs of speakers so I prioritized my surround sound so that when I turn on my AVR, it bypasses my multi-room audio system. This does automatic switching.








Would something like this work with in wall installation?

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PVCS5/In-Wall-AB-SpeakerSource-Switch
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post

Would something like this work with in wall installation?

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PVCS5/In-Wall-AB-SpeakerSource-Switch

If you want to settle for a manual switch, a simple one-button would be more appropriate:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190ABA1DW/Niles-ABA-1D-White.html?tp=2081&kw=&org=pla&nw=g&crv=15802862185

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off