Need to run line level stereo audio 75'-100' - Best Option? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,

My story - Sonos Amp in basement powering ceiling speakers in 2nd floor bedroom. I am looking to run analog audio out from the TV down to the basement as an input to the Sonos Amp and have the Sonos play the TV audio over the ceiling speakers.

Originally was going to buy a 100' analog RCA audio cable from monoprice (5350), clip 1 end, pull wire and terminate with right angle RCA connectors to the back of the keystone jacks. That was the plan until I saw that the cable isn't in-wall rated.

Next option is to buy a pair of the 100' monoprice HQ coax RCA CLS cables (5872) and run them same as above.

Final option is to run Cat6 riser and use MCM baluns (50-7724 & 50-7760, 50-7761). Not knowing much about baluns I tend to avoid them, for no real other reason.

My biggest concerns are that running the audio 75'-100' to the basement and back again would introduce some audio to video sync issues since the video is not taking the same path but is feeding straight from the STB over HDMI to the TV. Also that I will pick up some interfernece and the audio quality will be poor.

Any thoughts on what the better connection option would be and if I'm likely to see any sync issues?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Any thoughts on what the better connection option would be and if I'm likely to see any sync issues?

1. Move the Sonos unit closer to the TV.

2. Use the audio out from the STB, not from the TV.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Just run a pair of RG6 / RG59 coax cables. Either terminate them with RCA plugs, or use F-connectors and some F-to-RCA adapters.

Other option is buy a Sonos Connect for your main zone, and use the local source input there and let Sonos handle the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

1. Move the Sonos unit closer to the TV.

2. Use the audio out from the STB, not from the TV.

I had been thinking of moving the Sonos Amp to the bedroom closet and having an outlet installed, may end up doing that. My main hesitation is for future flexibility of having the Connect Amps all home run to the basement. Only reason I was going to use the TV audio out rather than STB was my plan to move also connect my Roku to this TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Just run a pair of RG6 / RG59 coax cables. Either terminate them with RCA plugs, or use F-connectors and some F-to-RCA adapters.

Other option is buy a Sonos Connect for your main zone, and use the local source input there and let Sonos handle the rest.

It seems that decent RG59 should work for this, just hate to pull the wires and find interference, might pick some up to test with. Didn't think of adding a Connect to that room as a wireless source feed, good point.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

If I do go the long RCA route, are sync delays even a likely issue?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by scttq View Post

If I do go the long RCA route, are sync delays even a likely issue?

Speed of light...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #7 of 7 Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Bal

Liked: 10
Yes you will have delay issues but not due to the length of the run.

Sonos line level inputs have a minimum 70ms delay due to the processing and syncing of the Sonos net. This means you have a strong chance of noticing lip sync issues. It will be a lot more apparent if utilizing the TV's speakers AND the Sonos speakers.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page