Specific newbie questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am making progress in deciding on my approach to my whoe of house A/V distritbution, but I need some help. I am hoping the good people on here will help! First off, I am on a budget, and I believe in keeping it simple. Secondly, I am re-wiring the house anyway, so want to be sure I dont leave something out.

Current set up: my sitting room has an Onkyo NR609, various inputs via HDMI: video from a blu ray, a mini mac for streaming web based content and playing ripped movies, a digital tv box. For audio I use a Onkyo iPod dock, I have mp3 music on the mini mac, I use the Onkyo FM tuner and its internet radio. I have good wireless network in the house and use the DLNA to play music from smartphone on the Onkyo. I also use the Android app as a remote controller over DLNA.

For getting audio throughout the house side I was going to keep it simple - use the zone 2 output, wire it to another amp, and then send pairs of speaker wire from the new amp to the rooms I want audio in, using in-wall volume controllers. I know I need impedence matching (to prevent the amp) I think. I know that this limits me to same source in all "zones", but I am happy with that. I can use the Onkyo app to turn on/off zone 2, and select the source.

Question 1 - any suggestions on what I need to consider regarding specification for this new amp?
Question 2 - anything I need to guard against from a wiring perspective. Ideally then I could play same audio on Onkyo zone 1 & 2 without zone 2 having significant "delays".

I'm not nearly as clear as to what my options are regarding video. We'll probably have 5 TVs in the house when we're done. I have no real idea what the options are. I will cat5+ cable to all television points. We dont own the televisions yet so they are going to be smart TVs.

Question 3 - how can I access the content being played on a device that outputs via HDMI from different locations? The locations will be smart TVs that have wired cat5e network access. I'd need to be able to turn on a telly (a smart TV) and select the source, and be able to change the channel. I understand the limitation would be that the box in use on one smart TV could not be in use on another. I'm also happy to use the speakers on the telly, not avail of the other speakers.

Would welcome answers to my questions. I have spent quite some time on here but havent found my exact scenario, like many before me!! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadey123 View Post

Question 3 - how can I access the content being played on a device that outputs via HDMI from different locations? The locations will be smart TVs that have wired cat5e network access. I'd need to be able to turn on a telly (a smart TV) and select the source, and be able to change the channel. I understand the limitation would be that the box in use on one smart TV could not be in use on another. I'm also happy to use the speakers on the telly, not avail of the other speakers.

Search for HDMI Matrix Switch, HDBaseT and HDMI-over-cat5e throughout the forum. Lots and lots of threads regarding distributed video. Same for "whole house audio"
Quote:
Would welcome answers to my questions. I have spent quite some time on here but havent found my exact scenario, like many before me!! Thanks.

Really? Practically every second or third thread here is about pre-wiring, whole house audio options or HDMI matrix switching... You're following the same basic path everyone is.

Jeff
Shadey123 likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Search for HDMI Matrix Switch, HDBaseT and HDMI-over-cat5e throughout the forum. Lots and lots of threads regarding distributed video. Same for "whole house audio"
Really? Practically every second or third thread here is about pre-wiring, whole house audio options or HDMI matrix switching... You're following the same basic path everyone is.

Jeff

Genuinely, I just didn't know what terms to look for. Thanks for the reply, now that I realise I should concentrate on these terms (HDMI Matrix Switch, HDBaseT and HDMI-over-cat5e) I will prevail. What I was finding was that most people were looking for systems that want way more advanced setups, with HDMI cables going to projectors with the sound part of the television source being sent to speakers, and in-wall volume controls that include source selection etc. Honestly, when you are a total newbie, trying to get to a point where you are in a position to inform yourself to the extent that you know what to ask is no mean feat.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadey123 View Post

Genuinely, I just didn't know what terms to look for.

That's why I listed them... Yep, without knowing the terms, it's hard to find stuff.
Quote:
What I was finding was that most people were looking for systems that want way more advanced setups, with HDMI cables going to projectors with the sound part of the television source being sent to speakers, and in-wall volume controls that include source selection etc. Honestly, when you are a total newbie, trying to get to a point where you are in a position to inform yourself to the extent that you know what to ask is no mean feat.

Oh, those aren't even "intermediate" levels setups... biggrin.gif

Once you see products mentioned, go to those websites and pull down the user/install manuals and read them, especially the wiring diagrams. A lot of the confusion here stems from folks not understanding the basic architecture of these systems, so they start down paths that are based on very simple systems - and get totally confused trying to build up from there.

Jeff
Shadey123 likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page