Question about HDMI and lowest common denominator - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2013, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have several sources hooked up to a Denon 1913 receiver which is right now outputting to a 1080P LED TV (non 3D). I want to add a 1080P 3D projector to the setup. If I added a 1x2 hdmi splitter to the setup like this =

Sources > Denon 1913 > 1x2 hdmi splitter > (output to LED TV and projector)

If I used both displays at the same time I know I'll run into issues with lowest common denominator since the LED TV has no 3D. But if I used the projector with the LED TV turned off, I should be okay right? I don't plan on ever using both displays at once. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthydro View Post

I have several sources hooked up to a Denon 1913 receiver which is right now outputting to a 1080P LED TV (non 3D). I want to add a 1080P 3D projector to the setup. If I added a 1x2 hdmi splitter to the setup like this =

Sources > Denon 1913 > 1x2 hdmi splitter > (output to LED TV and projector)

If I used both displays at the same time I know I'll run into issues with lowest common denominator since the LED TV has no 3D. But if I used the projector with the LED TV turned off, I should be okay right? I don't plan on ever using both displays at once. Thanks!

Depends. May work fine with the LED turned off. You may have to power cycle / reboot the source device to get it to reset the sound settings, and some devices continue to report their HDMI connection in 'standby' mode. Worst case, you can add an HDMI Detective (or similar EDID spoofing device) to the LED TV's connection to lie about having 3D support to get around it...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Okay thanks. I'll look into those. Worst case I'll just upgrade to a new LED TV with 3D.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthydro View Post

Okay thanks. I'll look into those. Worst case I'll just upgrade to a new LED TV with 3D.

Well, that's one way to solve it! eek.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I went through the same deal, used a Monoprice 2X4 matrix switch worked great, then add 1 3D LED and had all kinds of problems. So I replaced the other set with a 3D thinking that would take care of the problem, no luck, found that the matiex switch was a 1.3. I had a little hdmi powered switch and add a 1.4 Monoprice splitter and that worked. Got the one they called Pro.
I dont think apples and oranges can grow on the same tree
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
A 1x2 Distribution Amp (Splitter) with onboard EDID management will let you toggle your Source(s) between 2D and 3D as the AVR and Source(s) effectively wont ever see the 2D EDID.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20distribution%20amp_splitter%202%20port.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys. Running HDMI is such a pain in the behind it seems. I am a home theater novice so this whole EDID thing is beyond my grasp right now. I'm going to try a splitter and hope it works if I use only one display at a time.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI has background communication going on between devices – even those in Standby!

In theory your ‘In-standby’ 2D only Display should be ignored when your 3D Display is active – in practice most system will ‘lock down’ to 2D only unless you physically power the 2D device Off at the wall.

The 1x2 with EDID management I linked to provides a workaround so that you can always ‘force’ 3D to the 3D Display when the 2D is still connected and powered on or in standby!

Joe

PS Having a Denon AVR in the mix tends to make things even more of a lottery!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

HDMI has background communication going on between devices – even those in Standby!

In theory your ‘In-standby’ 2D only Display should be ignored when your 3D Display is active – in practice most system will ‘lock down’ to 2D only unless you physically power the 2D device Off at the wall.

The 1x2 with EDID management I linked to provides a workaround so that you can always ‘force’ 3D to the 3D Display when the 2D is still connected and powered on or in standby!

Joe

PS Having a Denon AVR in the mix tends to make things even more of a lottery!

Yikes I guess I'll have to splurge for a 1x2 splitter with EDID management. Pretty darn pricey though :-(

I'm thinking I would be better off getting a new 3D LED that matches up specwise with my projector. Other than 1080p and 3D, what else should I look to match up? Audio wise I think I should disable HDMI audio output for the receiver and send all audio out to my 5.1 setup. That would stop any "talking" between the sources and the displays right?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

LED-back or edge lit LCD – yes look for 3D compatibility. If you set the Denon to only forward Video you shouldn’t need to worry about the TV’s audio capabilities (assuming you are happy to always use the Denon for audio playback and not the TV speakers).

Joe

Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't mind using the 5.1 system for sound on both displays if I had too. But I might want to use tv speakers sometimes though. Anyway around this? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

If you wish to ‘forward’ the 5.1 audio via HDMI to the TV via the AVR you would want to ensure the TV you install can support 5.1 via HDMI and play it out via its internal Loudspeakers.

Some TV’s have this ability – most don’t!

Joe

Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

If you wish to ‘forward’ the 5.1 audio via HDMI to the TV via the AVR you would want to ensure the TV you install can support 5.1 via HDMI and play it out via its internal Loudspeakers.

Some TV’s have this ability – most don’t!

Joe

Yeah like you said most TVs don't support 5.1 audio. I'm fine with just stereo sound coming out the TV speakers as long as it works. Preferably I want the AVR on stand by when using TV speaker.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
What Is the definition of support 5.1 audio. A set that has a built in surround sound and comes with a powered sub and back channel sparkers? We have 6 Vizio led sets and everyone of them has an optical audio out and or a digital coax out with a menu setting to turn digital audio output to off, Dolby Digital, or PCM. I have used the optical audio out to send the 5.1 back to the AVR and thats what the AVR tells me is coming to it and with 2 sets optical to sound bar. In this case the TV is a pass through for the HDMI audio or outputs the 5.1 that does come through the set tuner. I also use the analog audio out set on fixed for my head phones, Sony inferred. What ever comes into the set plays through the set speakers unless I have it set to speakers off. As for AVR pass through that is just what I do most of the time not using the surround system. I would say the when you are looking for a set run through the menu items to see what the options are, but I would bet if Vizio does that they all do.

PS the only set that I have had that were not completely compatible with HDMI audio was a DLP that need an analog audio input for my head phones and one that used DVI.