Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

What are you doing with 8 cable outlets?

This seems like a silly question. I have some customers with 20-24 cable outlets, nearly all of which are connected & in use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 04-16-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard View Post

This seems like a silly question. I have some customers with 20-24 cable outlets, nearly all of which are connected & in use.

I don't want to see their cable bill. Or how much they spent on all those TVs!!!
egnlsn likes this.
post #33 of 42 Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard View Post

I have around 8 cable outlets in rooms, but none of them are in use (I use HD homerun and homerun Prime, so I get everything from my network). I only have two "TVs" though (one plasma, one projector). I couldn't see having a house big enough to need 20 TVs and if my house was that big, I still wouldn't have 20 TVs.
parrothead123 likes this.

Bob
post #34 of 42 Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey all I have a question I haven't seen a answer to yet. I'm updating my smc and will be installing a 16 wire multi switch. What do you guys do with the four or more cables from dish to the house? Run in conduit or just secure with clips until the in at the house? Sorry I wasn't sure if this should go in here or dtv forum. Thanks guys.
post #35 of 42 Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJ View Post

Hey all I have a question I haven't seen a answer to yet. I'm updating my smc and will be installing a 16 wire multi switch. What do you guys do with the four or more cables from dish to the house? Run in conduit or just secure with clips until the in at the house? Sorry I wasn't sure if this should go in here or dtv forum. Thanks guys.

Conduit is great but it's pretty rare in most homes, so your tech should clip it to the side of the house for you. You/they can often tuck a run of dual cable behind the trim to minimize the visibility but 4 cables is harder to hide than 2. I don't do directv that often so I'm not 100% sure about their equipment but I was under the impression that they're doing everything with 1 cable now and thus the name SWiM (single-wire multi-switch).
post #36 of 42 Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks yea the swim is up to 8 tuners but i am going genie and three dvr s so i will be 11 tuners. Thats why i need a swm 16. Future proofing as well. Thanks again cya.
post #37 of 42 Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks yea the swim is up to 8 tuners but i am going genie and three dvr s so i will be 11 tuners. Thats why i need a swm 16. Future proofing as well. Thanks again cya.

A SWiMLine with everyone running off one Genie would allow you to use one cable.
post #38 of 42 Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:

A SWiMLine with everyone running off one Genie would allow you to use one cable.
Thats if i use the genie clients. I am using 3 hr24 so thats 6 tuners plus the 5 from the genie. If i use the genie and clients, the clients pull of the genie for tuners so yes i could use a swim with that setup and be ok. I want the max amount of tuners possible with room to expand. Or am i mistaken?
post #39 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats if i use the genie clients. I am using 3 hr24 so thats 6 tuners plus the 5 from the genie. If i use the genie and clients, the clients pull of the genie for tuners so yes i could use a swim with that setup and be ok. I want the max amount of tuners possible with room to expand. Or am i mistaken?

Yeah, if you're doing Genie, you can dump the HR24s and use a single HR44 with the C31 clients. Even with the HR44, with a SWiMLine 8, you'd have the ability to run an HR44, an HR24, and an H25 with a tuner for live and recording off of either DVR.
post #40 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Yeah, if you're doing Genie, you can dump the HR24s and use a single HR44 with the C31 clients. Even with the HR44, with a SWiMLine 8, you'd have the ability to run an HR44, an HR24, and an H25 with a tuner for live and recording off of either DVR.
Thanks I might relook at my layout. Thanks again BiggAW
post #41 of 42 Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh556 View Post

Interestingly, while checking connectivity in each room with an old netbook...

Curious as to how you used your laptop to test connectivity? I have a CAT/COAX tester that shows if I wired correctly, but did you use the network manager in windows or an app?
post #42 of 42 Old 05-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec4 View Post

Curious as to how you used your laptop to test connectivity? I have a CAT/COAX tester that shows if I wired correctly, but did you use the network manager in windows or an app?

He probably just plugged a cable into the jack to see if it found his network.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page