Structured Wiring Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a home that has prewired CAT5 for telephone and internet, as well as cable.

The wiring is run to an ON Q enclosure.

The telephone jacks, from what I can tell, are (quite messily) wired up.

In each of the bedrooms, bonus and office, there are a double keystone jack containing cable and ethernet. In each of these rooms is a separate jack for the telephone.

My question is:

What do I need to complete this setup? The white cabling is CAT5 attached to the jacks in the rooms.

I am thinking I need:

A crimper, RJ45 jacks and an ethernet tester to finish the CAT5 cables in the panel. Also an 8 port switch :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-122-111

and and cable distribution panel like this:

http://www.amazon.com/On-Q-Legrand-VM1002-Enhanced-Splitter/dp/B000S9IRDU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=180BCLXMF17RR&coliid=I2KNCL8MJMZ3UT

And a power strip like this:

http://www.amazon.com/On-Q-Legrand-36426601-Power-Strip/dp/B00035I4SC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=180BCLXMF17RR&coliid=I1JBRZWFF9NQF3

Move my cable modem (comcast) to the enclosure, hook to switch and then run wireless router from ethernet port (now live) in office.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh556 View Post

What do I need to complete this setup? The white cabling is CAT5 attached to the jacks in the rooms.

I am thinking I need:

A crimper, RJ45 jacks and an ethernet tester to finish the CAT5 cables in the panel. Also an 8 port switch :

You could crimp on RJ45 jacks, or you could use that structured panel a bit better by installing a keystone bracket and terminating those wires wtih keystones.

http://www.amazon.com/Legrand-6-Port-Network-Interface-Unpopulated/dp/B00788CNRK/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1361855105&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=ac1001+legrand

That's a cheaper route by supplying your own keystones instead of buying the AC1000 bundled with On-Q keystones. On-Q also has a punch-down 8-port version (not a keystone plate), which is what I've used myself, but tends to be pricey...

http://www.smarthome.com/29227/OnQ-Legrand-363486-01-8-Port-Network-Interface-Module/p.aspx

Well, you don't really NEED those - you've got a duplex AC outlet, and that coax splitter is no better than the one in there. You can clean up the box a bit by attaching the parts to the enclosure with velcro and/or cable ties.
Quote:
Move my cable modem (comcast) to the enclosure, hook to switch and then run wireless router from ethernet port (now live) in office.

Not quite. The path is: cable modem -> router -> switch -> Ethernet ports.

If you've got your cable modem and router in your office, you can use a port on the router to feed back to the enclosure via cat5e, place an Ethernet switch in the enclosure, and connect any other room from there. If you want to move the cable modem to the enclosure, you need to move the router as well. The router must be before any additional Ethernet devices or switches.

Hope that helps,

Jeff
parrothead123 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 42 Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 221
$40 for an 8-way splitter seems a bit outrageous. You can get an amplified one for that or a decent passive one for less than $10.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #4 of 42 Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 83

I would terminate the phone and cat wires in the enclosure and just leave the splitter alone, unless you come up with a way to make it look nicer. I would get rid of the door of the enclosure and mount a shelf for your router,switch and modem and locate everything there. It will get crowded in there quick.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #5 of 42 Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, keep the ideas coming.

I think that I will go with, to get started:

8 port switch

On Q AC1000: http://www.amazon.com/ON-Q-Legrand-AC1000-Network-Interface/dp/B000JWQJX6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=180BCLXMF17RR&coliid=I21OM23AKQU5RV

8 way cable splitter. source TBD

Given the space of the enclosure, recommendations on CAT5 patch cable length (from AC1000 to switch)? 1 foot or 3 foot?

I will leave the telephone alone for now and just tidy it up.

Will run Ethernet connection from office router to switch in enclosure as suggested, simple is good.

Again, thanks and more input or ideas are always appreciated.
post #6 of 42 Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

I think you should mount all your stuff near the enclosure. It shouldn't be that hard to do and if you have issues later, everything is right there.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #7 of 42 Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I would also consider just putting RJ-45 connectors on your network cables and plugging them straight into your switch. Fewer connectors = Fewer possible failure points.

post #8 of 42 Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

olyteddy,

Although a good idea, a lot of people may find that difficult to do. I suggest 556 terminate his cats and phones in the enclosure using keystones. 556, keep all your stuff in 1 location. You will be glad you did on down the road. I see you even have power at your enclosure.
jautor likes this.

post #9 of 42 Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

olyteddy,

Although a good idea, a lot of people may find that difficult to do. I suggest 556 terminate his cats and phones in the enclosure using keystones. 556, keep all your stuff in 1 location. You will be glad you did on down the road. I see you even have power at your enclosure.
Why would it be any more difficult to crimp an RJ-45 connector on than do a punchdown and use jumpers?

post #10 of 42 Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Why would it be any more difficult to crimp an RJ-45 connector on than do a punchdown and use jumpers?

For networking, you should never put RJ45 ends directly on the wire, always punch down to jacks or patch panel and then use a patch cable to the equipment. Of course, on AVS we should always learn that there is the "What you can do and it will still probably work" and the "What you SHOULD do".

It is very difficult to maintain the twists necessary for cross-talk issues (NEXT and FEXT) when you are testing out the cables - and even more true for Cat 6.

If you are using the Category cables for keypads, audio, HDMI baluns, etc. then it is acceptable to use RJ45 directly on the wire (and sometimes the only way to do it).

Hope that helps.

Carl

Carl Fedders
post #11 of 42 Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedders View Post

Quote:

For networking, you should never put RJ45 ends directly on the wire, always punch down to jacks or patch panel and then use a patch cable to the equipment. Of course, on AVS we should always learn that there is the "What you can do and it will still probably work" and the "What you SHOULD do".

It is very difficult to maintain the twists necessary for cross-talk issues (NEXT and FEXT) when you are testing out the cables - and even more true for Cat 6.

If you are using the Category cables for keypads, audio, HDMI baluns, etc. then it is acceptable to use RJ45 directly on the wire (and sometimes the only way to do it).

Hope that helps.

Carl
Actually (at least to me) it doesn't. How could it possibly be better to untwist about an inch or so of wire to do the punchdown and then follow it with the two untwisted sections needed for the RJ-45 connectors at either end of the patch cord(s)? It takes less than .5" of untwisted wire to install an RJ-45. Repeating that twice and adding a jack has got to be worse. Unless you cut the CAT 5e too short or have difficulty installing the connectors. Patch Panels do have their place, and for me that would be in a situation where it is necessary to frequently reconfigure connections. That wouldn't seem to be the case in a home network.

post #12 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedders View Post

For networking, you should never put RJ45 ends directly on the wire, always punch down to jacks or patch panel and then use a patch cable to the equipment.

What are you smoking and where are you getting your information? Using a punchdown is physically easier, but it is in no way better then crimping RJ45 ends onto cable.

post #13 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I don't know why, but all networking guides and literature say to punch down, and don't terminate male RJ45s.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #14 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:

Actually (at least to me) it doesn't. How could it possibly be better to untwist about an inch or so of wire to do the punchdown and then follow it with the two untwisted sections needed for the RJ-45 connectors at either end of the patch cord(s)? It takes less than .5" of untwisted wire to install an RJ-45. Repeating that twice and adding a jack has got to be worse. Unless you cut the CAT 5e too short or have difficulty installing the connectors. Patch Panels do have their place, and for me that would be in a situation where it is necessary to frequently reconfigure connections. That wouldn't seem to be the case in a home network.

If you are untwisting the wire at all (or more than you need to fit it over the 110 block head) you are doing it wrong.

Carl

Carl Fedders
post #15 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

What are you smoking and where are you getting your information? Using a punchdown is physically easier, but it is in no way better then crimping RJ45 ends onto cable.

I seriously love people who have no idea giving advice on AVS. The information I provide comes from BICSI and from numerous classes I've taken for RCDD certification - not to mention I was the Product Manager for a US manufacturer of Category cable. Trust me, I do know what I am talking about. You can choose to take the wisdom I give and use it or not. I don't care what you do in your own home (other than I'd never buy it). What bothers me is when people push bad information on forums like AVS were newbies go to learn and then have a hard time differentiating between the experts and all the other noise...

Carl

Carl Fedders
post #16 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

@ Carl: I'm sure you have credentials out the wazoo, however you still have not provided any explanation as to how using three connectors could possibly be better than one. 'Because it's the industry standard' just doesn't cut it. Most industry standards are produced by the industries that sell the equipment.

post #17 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

As someone smarter has explained to me, the use of patch panels is for functional reasons. Easy to replace a damaged patch cable/connector, and easy to reconfigure, for you or the next guy. That's the reason for the industry standard configuration.

And in this case, using a patch panel or not would both be reasonable options. The Network Engineer who installed the infrastructure will be around to replace the crimped male RJ45 connectors when they fail. In the real world, the infrastructure is designed not to break.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #18 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

I punched down a lot of CAT5E in my career (retired now) and trying to put a round cable into a RJ-45 jack and keeping the color code is difficult to do. I have tried. (They make RJ-45 's for both solid and stranded cable) It's something a machine can do much better than anyone. A Keystone Jack is designed for ease of punching down and having less chances of making mistakes.

post #19 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Patch panels look nicer. Just sayin'. Functionally, they do the same thing basically.
post #20 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

If YouTube is any indication it takes 3 times longer to punch down a keystone than to install a crimp on...biggrin.gif

post #21 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I've done thousands of both and I don't really prefer one over the other but saying one is superior over the other, I think, is folly.

post #22 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I try to use the KISS principle when possible. If you don't need the extra connectors, there is (IMHO) no reason to use them. Some of the first racks I populated used hand soldered 'Christmas Trees' between the cables in the conduits and the patch panels. More recent racks we just punched down at the patch panel. I liked the more recent ones better. Easier to build and much neater overall. tongue.gif

post #23 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I prefer patch panels myself, for practical reasons.

post #24 of 42 Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

post #25 of 42 Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

There are certain ones made for use in a distribution panel like your OnQ.

This one is made to snap into the holes in the distribution panel. And all the connections are on the front.
http://www.amazon.com/Steren-550-030-FastHome-Data-Hub/dp/B000EHW88Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363851753&sr=8-1&keywords=data+hub

post #26 of 42 Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input gents.

A little from Monoprice, a bit from Amazon, and some more from Newegg and now I have this:

Not quite done, I would like to clean up the telephone and split the cable 8 ways, but good enough for now. Much better than before.

The Comcast tech I had come out for something informed me that I need an amplifier for an 8 way split to the cable. Is thus true or can I just buy an 8 way splitter and be done with it?

Interestingly, while checking connectivity in each room with an old netbook, I discovered the builder / sub-contractor missed the RJ45 jack and double keystone in the master. Only had a keystone cable outlet, not the double with ethernet and cable. Of course when I removed the wall plate, there was the ethernet cable in raw form. Never noticed until now...

Down to Home Depot for a double keystone plate and an RJ45 jack to complete things, it never really ends.
post #27 of 42 Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice work! You can use some industrial Velcro for that switch or router near the bottom. And while you're at Home Depot for the industrial Velcro, pick up some Velcro One Wrap (8" straps) for replacing the twist ties.

velcro-industrial-strength-white-tape-15-d-20120802170417597~6907714w.jpg

1913901e-91f2-4c30-b374-f263314478a4_300.jpg

post #28 of 42 Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh556 View Post

The Comcast tech I had come out for something informed me that I need an amplifier for an 8 way split to the cable. Is thus true or can I just buy an 8 way splitter and be done with it?.
It depends. If you have a signal from Comcast that is on the hot side, you might be able to get away with a splitter. If not, you will need a distribution amplifier. My guess is that if the Comcast tech says you need one, you do.
post #29 of 42 Old 03-27-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast will give you or install the amp when you sign up for cable TV service.

post #30 of 42 Old 04-11-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'd go with the amp. My parents need it to go 4 ways, otherwise they start losing some of the newer (higher frequency) HD channels. What are you doing with 8 cable outlets?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page