Getting HDMI HDTV to patio TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have recently replaced my old TV out at the Tiki Bar with a new flat panel LED. I have regular coax cable run to it that feeds off my DVR. My question is do they make a converter that I can connect at both ends to send the HD signal through the coax to the new TV? I would imagine there would be some sort of little box at each end that the HDMI cable plugs into then the Coax runs between. I have also seen the wireless units that send the HD & audio. I thought I would ask if the wired option would work first before going wireless.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 AM

Liked: 12
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-40574-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B005SIMSAE

Found this as a possibility...a lot more expensive than if you had category wire ran as well....but anyway at least its an option.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. It's about the same cost as the wireless ones they sell. Maybe a little more reliable then the wireless though i would hope.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Keep in mind the ‘over Coax’ Solutions all have to compress the signal to some degree – will you notice? Depends on your Display and how much of an AV ‘Anorak’ you are!

If you can run x2 or x1 CAT6 you can pass the signal uncompressed!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #5 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_FL View Post

Thanks. It's about the same cost as the wireless ones they sell. Maybe a little more reliable then the wireless though i would hope.

I use the Actiontec to send HD from my basement DVRs to my bedroom one floor above....you'd never know it was a wireless signal.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wireless-WiFi-Multi-Room-Video/dp/B005L9ZZ32/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361910598&sr=1-2&keywords=actiontec

I got my kit for much less than this on ebay, open box, perfect condition.

Vin
post #6 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Line of sight from the source to the TV is probably 100' however the coax by the time it snakes up/down walls, through the atic. & under ground and makes its way into the Tiki bar is probably a good 150-175'. From what I have seen the Cat cable is limited to around 150'. I am tepted to try the wireless route first. Does anyone know if you can have multile Displays on one of these wireless units as this would open up options for me, like adding a TV to the home office or a spare bedroom.

Thanks
post #7 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:

From what I have seen the Cat cable is limited to around 150'.
HDBaseT based extenders are designed to work up to 100m (328'). Some of them don't seem to work as well as they should at the longest distances, but the best of them seem to.
Quote:
I am tepted to try the wireless route first.
Do you know of a wireless extender that will work reliably at the resolution you want at the distance you need?
Quote:
Does anyone know if you can have multile Displays on one of these wireless units as this would open up options for me, like adding a TV to the home office or a spare bedroom.
You should be able to just put a HDMI splitter after the receiver. Haven't tried it though.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am tepted to try the wireless route first. Does anyone know if you can have multile Displays on one of these wireless units as this would open up options for me, like adding a TV to the home office or a spare bedroom.

Thanks

Yes, you can stream from one transmitter to 4 receivers > http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MyWirelessTV_User_Manual_1011.pdf

Vin
post #9 of 18 Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

I use the Actiontec to send HD from my basement DVRs to my bedroom one floor above....you'd never know it was a wireless signal.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wireless-WiFi-Multi-Room-Video/dp/B005L9ZZ32/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361910598&sr=1-2&keywords=actiontec

I got my kit for much less than this on ebay, open box, perfect condition.

I picked up one of these at Amazon and have spent this afternoon trying to get it working. Before I went through all the work of rearanging the HDMI cables I plugged both the units in in the locations I want to use them but they would never sync up. I then moved them into the same room and was still unable to sync them the green sync light continues to blink rapidle on both units but nevr goes solid
post #10 of 18 Old 03-18-2013, 05:39 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I picked up one of these at Amazon and have spent this afternoon trying to get it working. Before I went through all the work of rearanging the HDMI cables I plugged both the units in in the locations I want to use them but they would never sync up. I then moved them into the same room and was still unable to sync them the green sync light continues to blink rapidle on both units but nevr goes solid

Have you tried this procedure > http://www.actiontec.com/products/faqs.php?pid=219#q1

Also, if you haven't already done so, make sure you have the latest software version (v1.0.2.40) by going into Advance Settings via the User Interface. If not, upgrade both the transmitter and the receiver > http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=219#soft

Vin
post #11 of 18 Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Have you tried this procedure > http://www.actiontec.com/products/faqs.php?pid=219#q1

Also, if you haven't already done so, make sure you have the latest software version (v1.0.2.40) by going into Advance Settings via the User Interface. If not, upgrade both the transmitter and the receiver > http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=219#soft

I was able to make the units connect within the house. I was not able to connect with it at the outside bar location so I am guessing the distance is too far. I doubt that the firmware upgrade if one is needed would change that much.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have been using the Actiontec units for a few days now they are about 20' apart from one room to another. Picture & sound is great but I am having one problem. Every so often the picture freezes and the audio continues uninterrupted. I have not yet checked the software version to be sure it's running the latest. Any experience with this problem?
post #13 of 18 Old 03-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

No I haven't had that problem, definitely check the firmware and update as needed.

Vin
post #14 of 18 Old 03-21-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No I haven't had that problem, definitely check the firmware and update as needed.

Yes it looks like I have 1.02.40 & the signal looks pretty full
post #15 of 18 Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

I know some cable boxes have compatibility issues with the Actiontec....who is your provider? I'm using mine with two DirecTV HD DVRs and a Roku box that are all plugged into a Monoprice 4x2 HDMI switch with one output going to the Actiontec transmitter in my basement. The signal for all 3 sources is displayed perfectly on my bedroom TV one floor above. The only real issue I have is that somtimes I'll get no signal from my DVR (just static) when switching back to it from the Roku player. I used to unplug the power supply for the Actiontec receiver when this happened but have found if I execute the remote macro 2 or 3 times that switches the input on the HDMI switch back to the DVR I will re-establish communication and the problem gets resolved.

Another question....are you using the HDMI passthrough on the Actiontec transmitter to connect your source to your local TV? I've read this can sometimes cause the video freeze-ups you've been experiencing. If so, try removing that HDMI cable and see if that makes a difference....if so, get an HDMI splitter to connect to the output of your source to feed the local TV and the Actiontec transmitter.

And a more generic suggestion from the FAQ section of the user's manual:

Why is the video quality so poor?

To improve video quality, try adjusting the orientation of the Transmitter and/or Receiver. Use the Wireless Power Indicator (in the MyWirelessTV’s GUI, go to Advance Settings, then System Information) to see what orientation works best for your situation.

This is probably a long shot but still worth mentioning I think...as they say, "leave no stone unturned."

Vin
post #16 of 18 Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

I am coming out of the Directv HD DVR into a two way hdmi splitter (from Amazon) with one out going to a projector and the other going to the actiontec I am not currently using the pas through on the actiontec transmitter. Below is a response from actiontec on the issue that I will look into tonight.
Hello Brett,

It's possible some of the content you're watching is changing from a compatible format to an incompatible format periodically. This happens especially with commercials that are broadcast in the 480i resolution.

We can turn off the Native Mode setting, which determines whether the DirecTV receiver will either display what is given by the broadcasting channel or if it will convert everything to one up-converted resolution. This feature is usually Off by default, but on your box it may be On. With the DirecTV remote aimed at your DirecTV receiver, follow the steps below:

Native Mode:

Press MENU, select “Settings & Help”, then “Settings.”
Select "Display"
Arrow down to Video and press Select or OK
Ensure that Native Mode is set to "Off."

You’ll also want to disable the 480i resolution, as the MyWirelessTV does not support that resolution and it can cause some of the behavior you’re seeing.

Display Resolutions:

Press MENU, select “Settings & Help”, then “Settings.”
Select "Display"
Arrow down to TV Resolutions and press Select or OK
Ensure that 480i is not selected. (The best setting is 1080i only, even if no 1080i-capable TV's are present.)

- Troy
=========================
post #17 of 18 Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Brett, have you resolved the issue yet with the video freezing up?

Vin
post #18 of 18 Old 04-27-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it had to do with resolution setting on the DVR. The only problem I have now is when I dont use it for a few days I usually have to ppwer cycle the HDMI reciever
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page