htd,apple, sonos questions for whole house audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I'm trying to set up music around the house and would appreciate some feedback. Doing this DIY and so have been looking at sonos, Apple and HTD.

This is my specs
-key separator on direction is I'd like to be able to stream from subscriptions services (spotify) and internet radio and my own local content from single interface on an ipad
-decent sounding system (24/96 audio) in the living room (for example lets say I would a buy DAC up to about $500) and 16/44.1 in other zones
-ceiling/wall or basic book shelf speakers in about 6-8 other zones, which I can add as I go, once the core system is in place.
-happy with the same stream to all zones, but in sync
-would like the option of guests to play their own content to their zones.
-one interface on an ipad, maybe two. I'd settle for the sonos app for music selection for example, and another app for zone/volume selection, such as HTD's.
-possibly use irule which can program devices via IR/IP/wifi with global cache units.I'm a test eng. and can code software
-cat6 to all zones, to speakers and possibly keypads
-I'd also like the option of 24/96 playback but I may trade this for 16/44.1 for convenience in the system
-can home run all to basement

I'm thinking of 3 ways to achieve multi-room audio;
1. Using network players; sonos/SB Touch/Airport, and an ipad app to select music,volume and zones. SB Touch is also now discontinued. Sonos is expensive (I know..but works)
2. A Standalone multi-room controller (HTD) with an app to select zones and volume, and an attached source such sonos/SB Touch/PC with iTunes/Jriver etc with an ipad app to control music selection.
3. Dedicated whole house setup that combine the source and controller such as Niles, Nuvo and Russond, but don't tend to have subscription services, are dealer installed and very expensive, poor apps
4. Using multiple soundcards, but i don't know of any interface that can handle streaming services and separate out the sound card channels to independent zones and in sync. casa tunes could but their Xli card is no longer available and was only 6 zones. Not sure if Vortexbox could do this either

Couple of initial Q's

Apple;
I know multi room with airports and ATV will work, but I'm stuck inside itunes, so no internet radio or spotify,
however;
-Is the spotify app airplay enabled?
-If so, then using a mac mini/caps server/DAC/good Amp in the living room, and AE's (analog out) around the house, could I get spotify songs(320kbs) to ALL zones OR my Hi Res content (stored on the server) from a caps/mini-DAC/AMP in the living room and 16/48 around the house with AE's?

Sonos;
No local computer playback, so no Hi Res option, however V. good interface, streaming services, hence could use as a source to a htd controller
-can you connect like this;
Sonos Connect > Optical out > DAC > Multichannel controller analog source input > Multi-channel Amp > speakers per zone
Then use sonos app for playback and htd app for zone / volume selection

-would the controller degrade the DAC output?
- If there is no issue with the controller wrt signal integrity, I could always use a better AMP for the main listen room, and the multi-channel Amp for other zones

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
capall

Capall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 AM

Spotify should be Airplay enabled. Are you using a MAC? An app like AirFoil should be able to play anything over Airplay.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, using a PC at the moment.
Will spotify on the ipad see the computer as a source (with either a PC or Mac)?

Capall
post #4 of 11 Old 03-09-2013, 07:12 PM

What did you end up doing??? I am building a new house and have had speaker wires run to every room. I also have cat 5 wire run for adding keypads in the house for 6 zones. I was gonna buy the Lync 6 system from HTD and then add an Airport express. Will this allow me to play different types of music from my iphone in different rooms. If not what do I need to make this setup happen. I am super new to this and really hate to pay a ton of money for someone to set this up for me using Control4.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 11
airfoil can be used on a pc as well.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg4watson View Post

What did you end up doing??? I am building a new house and have had speaker wires run to every room. I also have cat 5 wire run for adding keypads in the house for 6 zones. I was gonna buy the Lync 6 system from HTD and then add an Airport express. Will this allow me to play different types of music from my iphone in different rooms. If not what do I need to make this setup happen. I am super new to this and really hate to pay a ton of money for someone to set this up for me using Control4.

An Airport Express will allow you to send one stream from iTunes or an iOS device to any number of rooms. But if you want another stream (from another device), you'll need another AE. You should also consider a Sonos Connect as a source instead of an AE, as it can be controlled in the same manner (from any mobile device / tablet), but will be easier to use.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Still working on it.
Finding it quite difficult to integrate spotify, local playback of 24bit/96khz music, relatively inexpensive whole house audio and all in a single app. The Hi Res playback and the spotify are quite difficult to implement from a single app. Lots of people have gone the sonos route but have left it to operate as a separate app, but their zones aren't exactly cheap. Itunes has no spotify but airports and ATV are cheap. Use of rs232 multi channel controller and amp requires HA software. Spotify API is not open and you also have to figure out sonos's API as well, even though its Upnp based and essentially open. I could settle for CD quality audio (16bit/44khz), but I'd really like to have local playback and spotify from the same app (which is what sonos has, and Logitech), but it seems only them.

Search continues.

Capall
post #8 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 AM

Have you had a look at the new Nuvo P3100? http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/wired-systems/p3100/overview

It does a lot of what you're asking. It's a three zone setup controlled entirely from an iPhone or Android app. It streams internet radio, music from your iTunes or Windows Media library, or from a line in jack. The only draw back is that it does not provide in wall keypads.

I'm also building a new house, and can't decide between using two Nuvo P3100's for 6 zones, the HTD Lync 6 system, or a Sonos setup with Connect Amps all wired together in my basement.

I'm leaning heavily towards HTD right now, but the Nuvo has a very well designed app that can control both the music and the zones / volume from one app. HTD would require me to control the music (streamed from iTunes) with one app and the volume / zones with another (the HTD web interface on my phone).

I've been quoted $1699 for the Nuvo P3100, I'd need two, which would put my cost at $3398, plus tax. The HTD system would be about $500 cheaper than that, which I could use to add sources such as an Airport Express or Sonos.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sonos may be a bit pricey, but it works, its easy to understand, is DIY friendly and is simple to expand.

I pulled my initial system (type of system with in-wall keypad control) in favor of Sonos. Very happy.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #10 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Squeezebox is cheaper than Sonos and you can use cheap hardware like a Raspberry Pi to make a low cost player and/or server. Check out http://www.squeezeplug.de/ You can control squeezeboxes with just about any home automation system or use IOS apps like IPeng or Squeezepad.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sonos will play from a local PC or NAS drive, the software just needs to be installed and music indexed. If you want easy to deal with Sonos is the way to go.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page