How many devices can be placed on one ethernet connection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a computer connected to the modem via an Cat5/RJ45 cable routed through a wall and under some carpet (one room to another), about a 35 to 40 foot run. The new flat screen tv, blu-ray and xbox are now located in the same room. Can I utilize that single cable going to the computer to split off or switch a leg to the tv and then split again to the other equipment? Everything currently works via wifi, but is a bit slow and streaming will be difficult.

Hopefully this makes sense and I have posted in the appropriate forum. Thanks ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5dx View Post

We have a computer connected to the modem via an Cat5/RJ45 cable routed through a wall and under some carpet (one room to another), about a 35 to 40 foot run. The new flat screen tv, blu-ray and xbox are now located in the same room. Can I utilize that single cable going to the computer to split off or switch a leg to the tv and then split again to the other equipment? Everything currently works via wifi, but is a bit slow and streaming will be difficult.

Hopefully this makes sense and I have posted in the appropriate forum. Thanks ...

Depends. When you say "modem" do you actually mean "router" (eg: access point that provides wifi, etc)?

If so, then you more than likely (depending on your network setup), just need to get a network switch. Plug the long cable into the uplink port (if it has one), and then plug your other devices into the other ports on the switch and things should just work.

http://www.newegg.com/Switches/SubCategory/ID-30

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #3 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM

Liked: 13
^ Exactly, just get a network switch and some cat 5 or 6 cords to reach from switch location to each device. Can even get more than one switch if you want to use one longer cat 5 or 6 run to computer then one run to get to AV equipment and use real short "patch cords" to each device. Even the cheapest switches are at least 1000MPS now days much faster than almost all home internet service. Wired is better than WIFI by quite a bit in reliability, speed, interference, if its convenient to get wires run it is worth it. Great and often overlooked upgrade.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 PM

Liked: 14
What make/model is the modem or router you have and who is your provider? With that info we can tell you exactly what you can do or need to buy.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 PM

Liked: 32
If you do not have a router, you are only going to be able to use one device at a time on your modem, through the Ethernet connection. A router will give you four ethernet ports, then you can add a switch, or multiple switches, depending on how much gear you wish to add. Some routers can handle only 32 devices, some 64, others 128, then you have some that can handle 254. It just depends on what the manufacturer spec'd it out to be.

I use a Netgear GS series switch on my network, for connecting all gear into my router. Then there is the whole how robust of a network setup do you want, and what do you wish for it to do.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin748 View Post

What make/model is the modem or router you have and who is your provider? With that info we can tell you exactly what you can do or need to buy.

Thanks for all the replies - this is great. The ISP is Time Warner Cable and the modem/router is a Motorola SURFBoard SBG6580.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Thanks for all the replies - this is great. The ISP is Time Warner Cable and the modem/router is a Motorola SURFBoard SBG6580.

Yup. That' s a full access point (router).

All you will need to buy is a gigabit switch (Get one off newegg off the link I posted above). Plug the cable into one of the ports on the switch (uplink if its labeled), and then use plug your other devices into the other ports on the switch.

Everything should work just fine.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #8 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Great ... I just ordered a TP-Link switch. Hopefully all will go well. The cables are in the house, ready to go. Thanks for the info!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Great ... I just ordered a TP-Link switch. Hopefully all will go well. The cables are in the house, ready to go. Thanks for the info!
What model? http://www.tp-link.us/products/?categoryid=204 Is it me, or does their stuff look a little like Netgear's stuff from what the casing designs appear to be.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page