Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
photo(6) copy 3.JPG 101k .JPG file photo(6).JPG 113k .JPG file

OK, I know I am all over the place and i do apologize but after talking to my wife about the AV consultant she suggested I just post pictures of our space with what we are looking for.

As you can see our living room, dining and kitchen is not that big. Could we use a sound bar, sub and rears(a surround system) to listen to MUSIC while in theses areas or would separate speakers be needed for music and the surround for movies etc.? I think the space is small enough that the 5.1 system would be enough but idk if a surround ystem is not really for listening to music. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(6) copy 3.JPG (100.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg photo(6).JPG (113.3 KB, 19 views)

beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 AM

You will have no problem hearing the music in the kitchen/dining from the speakers in the living room. The better question is, will YOU be happy with the sound you get from the living room. everyone has their own personally taste, likes/dislikes. For example, i dont mind the sound of the play 5 for my own music listening preferences, while i read you were not impressed. If it is just for some background music, or to have music while doing other things such as cooking, I personally would be okay with the speakers in the living room. If you want the music to be a little more direct and aimed right at you, you may want a speaker/speakers in the kitchen/dining. Another example, some people like having play 3 & 5's, I prefer ceiling speakers for the cleaner look. You can always start with a sound bar, and build out from there if you desire more. Keep in mind, wireless speakers will still need to be plugged into power source.

Also to note, I'm using my rear speakers on my surround sound for listening to music as well, many people on here do the same. So yes, you can use your speakers on your surround sound to listen to music, if you are happy with the sound you get from it.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. I think that is def what I am going to do(5.1) for all my music needs in that area. I will hard wire the surround sound system but I would like to have a receiver that could power this surround system, my (2) deck speakers along with a Sonos either play 3 or 5 that I could take and move to diff areas. So my firm speaker setup is

5.1 surround speakers
2 deck speakers
1 wireless sonos play 3 or 5 to move around(bedroom, office etc.)

Now time to investigate the AVR I will need.

beau
Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just thought about it.....Will I need a 7.1 receiver if I am running my 5.1 surround then (2) decks speakers? What about the eighth Sonos speaker? Could I run that off my 7.1 receiver? Thanks.

beau
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 PM

Depends on the AVR, a 5.1 AVR with zone 2 can be used, but if your watching tv and have the speakers on the deck going at the same time, you will be limited to the use of your front 3 speakers on your AVR in your living room. Your sonos speaker powers itself, You don't need a receiver for that
Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You want a 7.1 receiver that let's you use 2 of the speakers in zone 2 and leaves5.1 in the main zone. An example is the Yamaha rxv 673. Then you want a hard wired Sonos connect attached to the Avr for the main zone and then a play 3 or 5 as a portable. If you can't hardware the Connect, you will also need a Sonos bridge by your router.