Wiring for speakers & tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry but now rushing to buy plates, wire etc. from Monoprice because walls/ceilings will be up this weekend. Just loaded the cart up with 1 gang, two gang, three gang etc,eek.gif. Said what the hell if I have extra. Is it better to connect the speaker wire to a wall plate and then do jumper from the plate to the AVR or should I just get a plate with an opening and go right to the AVR. Same I guess for the wall speakers. Same with my HDMI from AVR to tv, should I use a HDMI wall plate or just run through an "open" wall plate. Really does not make sense to have a wall plate then 2-3' piece from plate to tv/equipment. Thanks.

Everything needs to go through the receiver for the surround sound to work, correct? My wife will flip if she has to turn the receiver on every time for the cable box to work.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042510&p_id=6169&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042503&p_id=3642&seq=1&format=2

beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Running the wire is the key element right now. If you take good notes (measurements from walls, ceilings, etc) of where your wire ends up and take pictures, you don't have to worry about terminating all the wire right now. It can literally live behind the wall until it is needed. Then you can cut the wall and put in the face plate at that time.

Again, I would be much more concerned about your wiring plan. What wires are you running to what places and for what reasons?

How many RG-6, mini coax, and Cat5e/6 wires are you running to each TV?
How many/what cables are you running to source equipment locations (like DVD players, console games, etc)
How many HDMI (if any) cables do you need to run?
Where are your speakers going to be located and where will the source equipment be located?
What size speaker wire do you need?
Do you want to wire for potential keypads in the future for alarm and/or audio zones (ie volume controls)
How many Cat5e/6 wires are you running to computer and printer locations? Wireless Access Points? Router location, etc, etc, etc
What about alarm wiring? If the walls are open, there is no better time to wire for door and window sensors, motion detectors, glass breaks, smoke detectors, etc. Yes you can generally get wireless versions of all these sensors, but they are 15x the cost of hardwired, more obtrusive visually (bigger because of the battery packs), and less reliable than hardwired sensors.
What about a lighting system? Doing it now or in the future? What 110v wiring do you need (ie a neutral wire is requried on a lot of "wireless lighting" systems)? What low voltage wiring do you need if you are not going with a "wireless lighting" solution?
What about HVAC control
CCTV in the future? Analog or digital? Wire for both? Don't forget power (POE or 12v line usually)

Etc, etc, etc.

As far as terminating wires, I do things differently depending on the type of wires. Obviously Cat5e/6 wires are terminated in their appropiate RJ-45 connectors. I like to connect speaker wires directly without using face plates. Same with HMDI cables - direct connections work better. For RGA (via mini-coax wire in my house) and RG-6 coax, I do use wall plates most of the time to make connecting source equipment easier. But I have also been known to direct connect without wall plates too! When I direct connect, I like the pass through plates that you linked too. I don't use speaker plates, so I wouldn't use the speaker plate you linked to. But I do use the interchangeable RJ-45 , RG-6, and RCA keystone plates when I want to use plates. Something like this.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #3 of 5 Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks. What about all my equipment going through the AVR then to tv? I don't think I like that but I want the surround sound from this equipment. And to have the cable box go through the AVR I don't want to have to have the AVR on for the cable to work. Well maybe i can HDMI fom cable box to tv and do something from cable box to AVR so I can get surround....OMG lmao

beau
post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That's the biggest issue. There are multiple ways to wire things usually. Every person's situation is different which also makes it hard. What I would wire for isn't necessarily right for you and your system. That is why it is so important to spend the time to come up with a plan. You don't want to wire a bunch of stuff and then discover that you put the wires in the wrong place because x device is over here vs over there, etc, etc, etc.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #5 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
‘My wife will flip if she has to turn the receiver on every time for the cable box to work’ – install a 1x2 HDMI Distribution Amp on the Output side of the cable box, Output A direct to an HDMI Input on your TV and Output B. to an HDMI Input on the AVR.

That way the family can simply turn on the TV and select HDMI 1 for Cable and you can turn on the AVR + TV and select HDMI 2 on the TV when you wish to use the AVR.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page