looking for a wifi (portable) speaker - source will be an apple tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I use an Apple Tv in my 2 channel room (my office).

-turntable to integrated amp (peachtree nova 125)
-computer to integrated amp via usb
-iPhone to apple tv to integrated amp via wifi

I want to get a speaker or system in my master bathroom, I'm only considering small portable speakers (battery powered).

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SA-NS500-Portable-Speaker-AirPlay/dp/B005Q7IIFQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1362596898&sr=1-1&keywords=wifi+speaker+battery

^ it's wifi, but I do not see any evidence that it'll def work with apple tv.
why battery? b/c it doesn't require me to run power cords in a bathroom (safe and easy)
and also b/c I can bring it into another room easily, so portability is key here.

Mission

1. get the iPhone content to play in the bathroom via the Apple Tv (wifi)
this way the bathroom and office will be playing the same content.

2. is there any simple way to get the sound from my TT or integrated into the mix, I doubt it. but otherwise I will not be able to listen to vinyl in the other room. worth asking the wizards here!

Thanks

p.s. I can skin this cat by moving audio wifi from laptop to a wifi speaker system, sure. but if I can get the apple tv to be the wifi source, then I do not need to fire up my computer every time I want to play music. thx

Photo Tour of my home - 2ch, 3.1, & 5.1 builds 
Thanks to all the AVS members. This is a great community.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

this review suggests that the sony speaker system works with an apple tv

http://www.trendcrib.com/post/9720479929/sony-sa-ns500-homeshare-speaker

post #3 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

THIS OPTION
seems to be the best
portable with recharge battery system on board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxZvvRrL-fA

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HY4UIW/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

someone took the time to write a very lengthy review:

I bought this to replace a Bluetooth speaker I had in my kitchen. The main gripe I had with the other device was the fact that I would have to re-pair the device with my iPhone/iPad every time I wanted to use it. I am not sure if this is an issue with all Bluetooth speakers, but it is the case with the three Bluetooth devices I have in my home.

Since I was buying it for my kitchen, it was also important that it had a small footprint. This speaker fit that requirement better than most attractive speakers I could find. Also, I like the donut shaped look of it. Maybe I am just fond of donuts?

The second thing I wanted was for it to work off of a battery. When I have people over, I like to have a cleaner look without cables running to the outlet. While this wasn't the most critical issue, it was something that I wanted. I haven't tested how long it lasts when running off of a battery only, but a couple hours should be more than enough. Also, you can just grab the donut off the base and set it anywhere. When I want to use it in the garage or sunroom, it is always available.

The final feature was the most important. I have Airplay devices all over my house..Airport Express, Denon receiver, and Apple TVs. I have always liked the fact that Airplay devices are available at all times. This means that when I pull open an app on my iPhone (my preference is MOG) fom inside my network, I can see all Airplay speakers and I can send the stream to them from wherever I am on the network. I did run into an issue on my main network, but I also have a second network on my Airport Express. Rather than troubleshooting the issue, I moved the device to my second network and it worked much better. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with the address it assigns and I have a lot of devices on our network, so I am not surprised by it. There are programs you can download that tell you the IP of every device, but I didn't need to mess with it. I still have the occasional dropout when I initially start streaming to the speaker, but it usually works pretty good after that. My other Airplay devices rarely ever have a dropout, so it is a bit mystifying, but it isn't so annoying or so often that I can't live with it. However, I did take it down 1 star because of it.

One cool aspect is that I can leave my iPhone in the living room and still adjust the volume directly from the speaker in the kitchen. Therefore, volume can be changed from the iOS device or the speaker. While Bluetooth may work for some people, Airplay works better for my situation. The other downside to Bluetooth, besides what I mentioned above, is the range. If I am in my bedroom and want to send audio to my kitchen while my phone is still charging in the bedroom, it can be done with Airplay. With Bluetooth, it would not be possible. Also, Airplay has better sound quality than most Bluetooth devices. Technically, it is "bit perfect" with CD quality, while many ( not all) Bluetooth devices use compression. The upside to Bluetooth is that it doesn't rely on wifi, so you can take it anywhere. However, that feature was irrelevant since I bought this specifically for home use.

I should mention that I am not rating this based on sound quality, but I do find it pretty good compared to my Bluetooth speakers. I don't believe this should be your main audio system unless you really don't care about stereo separation and other important aspects of overall sound. That being said, I was expecting it to sound much worse than it does based on its size. I think it is far less tinny than I was expecting (especially after reading other reviews) and I think it sounds pretty good at lower/mid volumes.

For the record, I have an iPhone 4S and a 3rd Generation iPad and they both work fine with the speaker. Also, I will post a pic for those that are interested in seeing a different picture of it.

update 02/13 - I just wanted to mention that I decided to hook up an iPad1 to the usb and keep them together in the kitchen. The upside is that if I am in the kitchen without my iPhone, I can choose what plays without tracking down a device for Airplay. The great part is that I can still use MOG, Pandora, etc.. and it will play music over the speaker via USB. The downside is that, for some reason, video apps like Directv and Slingbox will not put audio out via USB ( I have researched this issue, but I haven't found a solution). With Slingbox, I can just send the audio out from the iPad to the speaker via airplay, but I usually just unhook the USB and use the iPad's speaker when I want to watch TV. I mainly listen to music, so it is not a big deal. When I am not using it for music, I run a clock app or aquarium app that looks great on the kitchen counter. I am also happy that I can keep the USB plugged in all the time for charging and when I choose to send the speaker audio via airplay from my iPhone, the speaker will automatically switch over without the need for manual switching.

The AppleTV has also added the choice to airplay to speakers around the house rather than to the receiver it is plugged into. I can start up music on the Apple TV and send the audio signal to the kitchen without missing a beat. My favorite choice is still using the Remote app on the iPhone since I can send the audio signal to multiple devices. I can play the same music through my home on different systems via airplay, which is pretty cool when you are working around the house.

-not my review

post #5 of 9 Old 03-07-2013, 04:06 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA3 View Post

I use an Apple Tv in my 2 channel room (my office).

-turntable to integrated amp (peachtree nova 125)
-computer to integrated amp via usb
-iPhone to apple tv to integrated amp via wifi

I want to get a speaker or system in my master bathroom, I'm only considering small portable speakers (battery powered).

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SA-NS500-Portable-Speaker-AirPlay/dp/B005Q7IIFQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1362596898&sr=1-1&keywords=wifi+speaker+battery

^ it's wifi, but I do not see any evidence that it'll def work with apple tv.
why battery? b/c it doesn't require me to run power cords in a bathroom (safe and easy)
and also b/c I can bring it into another room easily, so portability is key here.

Mission

1. get the iPhone content to play in the bathroom via the Apple Tv (wifi)
this way the bathroom and office will be playing the same content.

2. is there any simple way to get the sound from my TT or integrated into the mix, I doubt it. but otherwise I will not be able to listen to vinyl in the other room. worth asking the wizards here!

Thanks

p.s. I can skin this cat by moving audio wifi from laptop to a wifi speaker system, sure. but if I can get the apple tv to be the wifi source, then I do not need to fire up my computer every time I want to play music. thx

Hi Ryan,

let me start with point 2 first. I did some research and what you need is an AirPlay Server, something that can in fact receive a signal and beam it via AirPlay. The bad news is, there is currently no "computer free" solution. The only solution I see is that you get yourself a phono stage with a USB connection and rip your Vinyl collection. If I may suggest, try Cambridge audio or NAD, they are really good for around 100-200 Euros.

Point number one is a bit more complicated... I would need you to rank your priorities first. And also need to know which you are willing to forget about altogether. Let me give you an example:
For me, sound quality is number 1. I am willing to give up some portability, some design, to get better sound. If I were to build a great sounding compact AirPlay system.., I would get an airport express (with airplay built it) Get a compact integrated amp and 2 amazing speakers.

If I needed it to be portable.., this changes the whole concept since you can't really move around 2 speakers, airport and amp easily.., I would have to get an all-in-one airplay solution. However.. sound and batteries.. don't play nice. To get good sound, you need power! The best speaker system with airplay I have heard so far was A9 from Bang and Olufsen for around 2000 Euros/Dollars. This would be the way to go for me. Plus it has amazing design, can stand on its own has plenty of power and really decent sound quality. And has a handle on the back for easy portability.

Another step down the road is what you are looking for.. something smaller, with batteries.., unfortunately so far I have not heard a single convincing system. To me the sound stage is compressed, sound is muddy, stereo imaging is next to mono. The only system that comes close to not being terrible is Arcam rCube, it has a built in battery, but does NOT support AirPlay.. It is just a sound dock. If you could live with that, get it.

Hope this helped.

martin

post #6 of 9 Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Great thorough reply. Thx for taking the time. Will read up some more and be sure to buy from amazon or someone with. Good return policy!

Cheers
techblogpool likes this.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA3 View Post

Great thorough reply. Thx for taking the time. Will read up some more and be sure to buy from amazon or someone with. Good return policy!

Cheers

You are welcome. Let me know what you bought in the end.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-13-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

apple tv hooked up in 2nd room.
waiting on the speaker system.

Apple Tv, wifi to two different rooms (iTunes only, not available on devices)
I can run usb to the Peachtree from my laptop.
Or wifi from mobile device or laptop to Apple TV -> fiber to Peachtree.
If I'm running wifi from laptop (ONLY) to Apple TV, I can run audio (wifi) to 2 different rooms (I have 2 Apple TVs).

if my airplay denon was on in the media room, I'm thinking I can stream wifi to a 3rd room. not showing up b/c it wasn't on.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HY4UIW/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I did add this device ^, from ebay around $100-115.

Everything worked out!

Untitled by Ryan Mac - Philly, on Flickr

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page